An over excited 18 year old kid putting back together..help

hobojon

This fall I decided to buy a motorcycle, take it all apart, clean it, replace a few parts, and put it back together. Well since it was my first bike, and I didnt have anyone helping me I spent most of my time reading manuals and forums. Now the time has come for me to put it back together and I am having trouble remembering how everything attaches. I looked at the online fiche (thank you bikebandit) but that only shows how the parts go together--not how they go back on the bike. Does anyone know of website/diagram that shows you how to put an early 70's honda back together?
Thanks and sorry for the... idiocy?
Jon

Do you know what model/year honda you have? There are honda specific forums you can join via a google search that may be able to help you but a good workshop manual or two should answer most questions.

Are there any specific parts you are having trouble with?

Yeah, determine the make, model and year of your bike. Then, order the Clymer's manual or, better yet, the original shop manual if you can find it.

Sorry for not mentioning the model. It's a 1973 cb450. I think the rebuild should be obvious once I get going, it's just the beginning where it all seems ambiguous. So you suspect I can find some model-specific build forum?

The most efficient way I have found of researching things like that is to use google to search forums. So if you're looking for info on how to put the forks back together for example, google: "cb450 fork assembly site:www.hondatwins.net" most of the results should be forum posts that have those key words. That will save you asking people on a forum (when it's probably been asked a million times), and then having to wait for a reliable reply.

You'll find that the search function built into most forums is pathetic and you won't find what you need easily, google is much more thorough and easier to use. :)

My recommendation for your next build is take lots of pictures as you are tearing the bike down or even videos with you telling you where everything goes and how it connects.

There are a lot of builds on this site and pictures you may be able to find something that will help.

Good Luck!

Yep,
When doing engine rebuilds I take videos of little thijngs I know I'm going to forget.
They are also pretty entertaining to watch a couple years later
"Hey dipshit, don't forget that this fucker goes back right HERE"

may seem obvious but hardware is what I have found is the most tedious to put back in the right place, i.e. when a bolt comes out, put it back in the hole it came from until you need it again...... I have used a ton of wire marker labels as well. had to loose a lot of the harness that was unnecessary after the front fairing and all the BS that went with it.... I just marked both ends of what I knew I would need later, before taking it apart....may not help much now but for future reference to make it easier on yourself.....

Back
Top Bottom