CAFE CREME - BOARD.....TRACKER

beachcomber

TJ - Beachcomber
DTT SUPPORTER
EXECUTIVE DECISION. I'm putting my Boardtrack build here with "Trackers" ... Guessing "Street", "Flat" and now "Board". "Cafe Creme" is here.

With my health issues not resolved but stabilised, time for one last project ?? Having ended up with the early KZ motor [ Weber ] as a “spare” from the Glemseck project and not suitable for the blower – what to do with it ?

On a recent cull in my garage [ continuing cull ] I came across a hoard of Boardtracker parts I had been collecting for one of my Yamaha TR1 projects. They’ve sat in the back of my garage pretty well forgotten for the past 5 years.

I’m pretty sure we’ve all built a project around “that one piece” that’s too good NOT to use. In my case – a Brand New 1910 La Francaise Diamant” flat tank !

Ideally the motor for a Boardtracker should have been a Vee Twin or early Brit single [ J.A.P., BSA, Enfield ] but as they are all stupid money, I decided to look at the possibility of using the spare KZ lump.

THEN I spotted this Norton Boardtracker …………………. sympathetic colourways and accessories [ loads of copper / brass ] and I think I might pull it off.

The Glemseck project is NOT being sidelined, but with my build buddy Brian very enthusiastic about the BT, it will be built alongside. Fortunately I have ALL of the big lumps – engine, wheels, forks, frame, as well as all the aforementioned goodies. The frame [ KZ750 – thanx to the generosity of Rich from the Lonesome Twin forum ] will be modded to resemble the Norton version and the forks …………. well with girder forks in the region of £500 +, I have come up with a cunning plan that even Baldrick would be proud of. Take a pair of early BSA Bantam [ USD ] forks – as in the good old GPO telegram boys, and disguise the look. Time will tell if I succeeded.

And not ONE stock KZ750 was harmed in this process. ;)

Attachments

• img189.jpg
    img189.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 581
  • img190.jpg
    img190.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 622
  • Picture 057.jpg
    Picture 057.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 557
  • kz oil system 009.jpg
    kz oil system 009.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 546
BTW - note the 2 different bar set ups in the 2 pix .... I'm aiming for something in between ! 8)

And I'm thinking 2 x high level pipes ... look at the stock off the shelf bends - almost there with minimum cutting 'n' shutting.

Yes. I've dreamt of building a board trak replica for years. Looking forward to this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cunning use of headlight mounted in primary on that Norton.

sounds like a fine plan though i've never met anyone that was worried about causing harm to a KZ750, over here they're considered as one of kawasakis finer boat anchors

Check this out. Modern classic boardtracker Indian Scout.

https://rideapart.com/articles/swedish-shop-builds-blown-super-scout-tribute-indian-co-founder

2018%2F01%2F5a4e081b4967d_8.jpg

I'll be watching this. I've wanted to build one around a small engine like a cb125, or xr 200 for a few years. The main reason is I have a harley 125 rubberband girder fork.

Attachments

• 20161130_085440.jpg
    20161130_085440.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 499
Rat_ranger said:
I'll be watching this. I've wanted to build one around a small engine like a cb125, or xr 200 for a few years. The main reason is I have a harley 125 rubberband girder fork.

That's precisely the stuff of projects RR !!!! Build something cool around that one key piece ! In my case the La Francaise Diamant tank.

MT - that's a cool interpretation. I was contemplating using my IHI turbo - or maybe another Eaton, but that's going to eat up more funds that I can spare on this project. AND I have that Weber 40DCOE carb'd motor !

Yep. Just wanted to show that you'll be able to blend the kawi motor with the older parts and it will come out cool in the end if they can take a modern scout lump and makd it look like that. Cheers

MT - yep, all down to careful use of styling cues and disguise ! The colourways will play a big part too. I'm pretty well settled on a light coffee with yellowish tinged cream [ Buttermilk ]

The stash is slowly growing ! ;) By the end of next week I should have all the major parts in stock - and quite a few of the small items.

The Weber KZ motor will definitely be the one for this project - I'll make it look the part !

Meanwhile I'm arranging to collect the late KZ motor from a pal at the end of the month for the Glemseck bike - also probably a complete spare bottom end.

Attachments

• kz 3rd jan 2018.jpg
    kz 3rd jan 2018.jpg
    911.4 KB · Views: 511
POC time .......... yes - the Bantam forks will work with the XLR front wheel. The wheel spindle slot just needs opening up a tad to take the Honda spindle [ which just needs shortening ] and tyre clearance is OK.

I think the fork legs need to be a couple of inches shorter [ cosmetics ] - AND I wanted to get that Motobecane "banana" fork look. Again, what worked in my head looks like a goer. Unfortunately I ran out of sufficient garden hose [ ::)!! ] to mock up the complete banana shape - but at least you can see where I'm going with it ..... bit of imagineering required. Who needs cad-cam ! ;)

I'm going to use a couple of seat springs [ see pix ] at the top to give the illusion of suspension, and to a degree they will add some additional springing. ALL parts are available to refurb the Bantam forks - and not expensive.

Attachments

• cafe creme 001.jpg
    cafe creme 001.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 502
  • cafe creme 005.jpg
    cafe creme 005.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 495
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 479
Scratch the Motobecane styling cue fork legs. :'(

Yes I can get them to work with the basic Bantam forks - but that leaves no clearance for the bars to turn without the springs hitting the tank ! In the old days we'd put a couple of nice indents to accommodate that [ eg. Manx clip on depressions ]. NOT on my 110 year old NOS tank - oh no. ! 8)

Oh well onto the next thought - H-D style hairpin springer ..... except they are fargin fugly. Well, we can make it less agricultural looking, just leaves the attachment and supplementary suspension / dampening. Yes - BSA neglected to put any hydraulic dampening in the Bantam forks ::) - well there was a bit of rubber tube [ !!?? ].

Cunning plan # 6 or is it 7 ? Use a RAMSHOX unit and use the 6262 alloy body as the means of fixing ! That eliminates any possible bending / pivoting of the hairpin as it moves up and down [ parallel ] with the Bantam fork leg. AND gives me 4 1/2" of travel with finite adjustment of spring platform and dampening. Effectively that renders the bantam forks as cosmetic. And the shock is mainly hidden so it won't look too out of place. A chrome spring and maybe a Black anodised body might add to the deception.

Needed to get a few things clear in my head - so a little shade tree "cad-cam" to the rescue. ;) 60" w/base and the forks will be a little more raked - still debating with myself what angle to use.

And final thought for the day - I got a quote for the Bantam fork stanchions to be refurbed [ hard chromed ] £175 - £200 for the pair :eek: !!!! And that's only the 10" or so of actual contact area. Fuck that. So solution - some thick wall stainless tube machined to suit the bushes and with the original spring locators welded in. Material cost £30, labour - £30 ?

Major health assessment coming up next week - everybody cross yer fingers.

Attachments

• img156.jpg
    img156.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 467
  • img155.jpg
    img155.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 5.png
    5.png
    605 KB · Views: 511
  • cafe creme 009.jpg
    cafe creme 009.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 490
Yes - Chinabay again .............. I'm going to run a trans brake off the final drive sprocket [ hopefully ] to supplement the Honda XLR250 drums [ self preservation ]. Mini brake and caliper kit from Chinabay £7.00 delivered ...... YES THAT WAS £7.00

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1)yyy.jpg
    s-l1600 (1)yyy.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 457
The special RAMSHOX unit arrived today ;D..... based on a BMW Oilhead front unit.

The plan I have is valid, but I need a shock with a 2" longer [ thread ] body and a 35mm instead of 55mm bottom extension. That's a stock base unit so essentially off the shelf for next time I go down there. That gives me 4 1/2" of travel and as much adjustment as I need.

Attachments

• cafe creme 011.jpg
    cafe creme 011.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 440
Once the shock unit was in hand - immediately alternative methods became obvious. ::)

So the obvious is to mount the shock the other way up using the bottom yoke platform as the rigid attachment to the H-D style springer hoop and a simple bracket at the top end. That way the springer / shock becomes a rigid unit and can only move in a vertical and parallel motion.

We will need a shorter top mounting extension [ which is a stock item ] and relevant length spring and we're GTG.

Attachments

• cafe creme 018.jpg
    cafe creme 018.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 461
  • cafe creme 019.jpg
    cafe creme 019.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 470
Then I thought - why not use a rigid pin for the top mount ? That way the shock is locked and can only move vertically.

New shock variant ordered 4.00pm yesterday - arrived 8.30 this morning ! Good to have mates. It arrived with additional collar and the correct length spring. Rates yet to be determined, but at least this will serve for the setup.

Attachments

• cafe creme 001.jpg
    cafe creme 001.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 434
  • cafe creme 002.jpg
    cafe creme 002.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 430
  • img157.jpg
    img157.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 512
Reminds me of a push rod front end I once saw on a GT competition VW Corrado (might have been a Shiracco). They had to retain the McPherson strut arrangement to comply with the rules, but the strut was comprised of a large tube and a slider, meanwhile the dampers and springs were inboard. Your design is basically the motorcycle equivalent. Neat! You could even do a rocker at the top and a push rod from the lower and get rising rate.

Sav0r said:
Reminds me of a push rod front end I once saw on a GT competition VW Corrado (might have been a Shiracco). They had to retain the McPherson strut arrangement to comply with the rules, but the strut was comprised of a large tube and a slider, meanwhile the dampers and springs were inboard. Your design is basically the motorcycle equivalent. Neat! You could even do a rocker at the top and a push rod from the lower and get rising rate.

Thanx for the input ..... yes well pleased with the outcome. I just have to get the parts made now . That means CALLING IN FAVOURS - or paying top dollar.

I had contemplated rising rate as you suggest - but to be honest a Boardtracker is never going to win any races around the twisty bits ! It's really the overall "look" I'm going for. I would have given a testicle or two for the Motobecane banana forks - but not to be. I'm fortunate inasmuch as I'm totally familiar with the RAMSHOX [ my baby ] and will have an adequate [ more than ] of adjustability. Another stroke of good fortune - the Honda XLR250 wheel spindle is only a gnat's bigger than the fixing in the Bantam fork bottom. Literally a quick wipe with a round file and job done. Oh, except the spindle has to be shortened by about 3" and re-threaded. Even the brake anchor aligns with the Bantam mount !

Back
Top Bottom