FLH Transmission

kopcicle

antidisestablishmentarian
Sorry I took so long to get back to this but I needed a clear head and time to come to grips with telling on myself , several times . Knowing the attention span of some here ...
486774_10151382389172187_1505348978_n.jpg

So where is the locating tit ?
images

So much for show , now for tell .

Got the trans out after rebuilding my IR231 so it had enough balls to get the comp nut off . Took it apart and the local indie loaned me the tool to align the forks . Went back and got the tool for the ratchet instead of the turret (never looked in the box until I got home ) . Wasn't able to remove the spedo cable from the drive so I just took the drive out and proceeded to dump oil everywhere when I moved it to the bench . (maybe I should have drained it ? ) . I aligned with the tool , replaced hats and gaskets and re-installed . It shifted fine on the bench and failed the first time it left the driveway .

So got the trans out a second time (after taking out my mad on 1/2 acre of jungle) and went to get the tool again as my local indie asks " Are you sure you don't want me to take a look "? once again I apply the tool and something isn't right . The hats are not pointing at the same angle . Remove counter sprocket and piece of thumb (take the sprocket off while the chain is still attached in the bike next time ) . Slide the fork pin out and remove the fork you see in the first pic (spared you a view of my ugly mug or the thumb damage) . All three stealerships in the area would have to order (actually one said it was obsolete and unavailable) . I called the indie up the street (who by this time is considering charging me rent just for being in his shop let alone the tool rental) and no part . I tried Sharron and her guy up the street promised 3 days . Then a brain fart , a trip across town to the old neighbourhood and $30 later I have two Andrews shift forks . I got the the forks assembled backwards the first time (predictable by now) Got it all assembled correctly eventually and reinstalled . On the way to installation I got the ratchet shift arm bushing on the wrong side of the arm and the primary had to come off , again , to sort that .

So there we are . A multiple transectomy due to an impromptu shift fork mastectomy (and as of yet to be determined varying amounts of personal asininity) . Its still yesterday but the trans is in and I don't have any parts left over . I do have to remember to put the lube back in the trans (we'll see how that goes) .

Just thought I'd tell ...

~kop

All this time I've been talking with you, and I never figured you for a long blonde hair/goatee kind of guy. I think I really started picturing you looking somewhat like you're avatar.

I take it R&R or the guy on West Valley weren't overly helpful? I know you couldn't have gotten your needed parts from "Phony" at "roached out pieces of monkey shit", er, um, you know... where I used to work... since "Rabbi Richard" is so vehemently anti-HD that he had the crew from "Limpwood", er, Lynnwood, smash a truckload of NOS Scout and W series cylinders, unstamped XA engine cases, brand new Pan heads that hadn't even had the combustion chambers polished...

Aren't those"fun"...

I asked "Hooker" (Woodward) and he loaned the alignment tool but didn't have the fork
Rob was at the other job and T was busy , Jr mentioned some helpful ...
between DT H-D , Eastside and Destination I got two that said not in stock 7-10 days and the third said obsolete , unavailable (just for fun take a guess who said that )
Sharron could have next day from Cali
It was Fuzz over in Des Moines , $30 for both (Andrews) and I also got a couple of seals while I was there
We hadn't seen each other in years so that was a conversation
I got a few small parts out of "the file cabinet" and Tony didn't rape me

All in all repetitively painless other than the three R&R's to get it right . Yeah , three, I'm not even going to talk about the third one .

~kop

Back
Top Bottom