Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

VonYinzer said:
Running the battery with the crossed wiring may have fried it...

Yea doc !

But took battery down and had it loaded tested and there saying its good :-\ So now not sure which way to go ?????? could be wiring could be head light could be tail light could be ignition could be could be .........

Think I need to take a step back on this for awhile befor I do something like rip it all apart :eek:

Big Rich said:
Any updates on your electrical woes, Scott?

No man im taking a step back for a bit and clear my head with it ! Once the FJ is done and on the road ill get right back on it .....

DeanJ said:
drop it off here, I'll sort it out for you :)

Thanks for the offer dean but I might need to take you up on it LOL

Well happy New year all !
So I'm back on the lil 500 to rewire the whole bike . Its the one thing that didn't get done so it's time for me to go for it . I'm by no means a wire guy its the one thing I have a hard time with so please be nice lol First thing is to pull all the chop up wiring and get a clean start !

The plan : very simple wiring head light, taillight,breaklight,coils,points,charging system.!

Been l2ooking over wiring diagrams and i hate to say it but i get so lost its s as d LoL So talked to few guys and think im going to have matt ( www.sparckmoto.com) build me one and be done with it !

Question ? If i run a R/R do i need a condenser ? Getting ready to order new wiring harness and want to get my shit togeather first !

Yep, condenser is part of the ignition, nothing to do with the RR really. the RR protects all the lights and electrics from getting fried by voltage greater then 14.5V the condenser if I remember correctly smooths out and partly stores the juice on the way to the coil.

IM BACK ON IT ( I think ) !!!
Bad thing happened as I was going to order a wiring harness from Sparck Moto but my trucks motor blow up the day befor I was going order it ! So have to save for newish truck and been rideing the FJ to work every day ( not a bad thing lol ). If you need help matts the man to look to for a harness .
So to save the coin for the truck if I want to fix the elec problem ill have to take it on myself or just let the 500 sit there and I HATE it just sitting there . So for good or bad im going to try and do the wiring myself , cant say how or how long but I pulled the cover off the 500 today and looking over the wiring I had in it ! Just wanted to thro up a ( IM STILL ALIVE AND SO IS THE MONKEY ) post !

So over the weekend brad justin Jamie Russ help me out on the wiring ( big thanks guys ) ! Will just have to clear it up and pick up diff RR and condenser .

So on the condenser for a twin were is a good place to find what is needed for the 500 ? I see ones with one wire and ones with 2 wires ? I m thinking the one with a wires would do the job or 2 of the one wire ones will work ? Am I wrong on my thinking ?

As I will be changing my ignition over to my home-built Ichiban custom ecu module , I don't need the condenser off my project bike. It's yours free if you want to pm me.

....but there are new units on ebay for $9.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/390398143131

Spent some time tagging all the wires now need to Mark whats what . Been reading on which wires size to use through out the bike. I'm running heavy gauge wire on starter and main ground .
Would 18g be the wire size for rest of bike or diff gauge ?

Attachments

• 1436922787186175803303.jpg
    1436922787186175803303.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 315
Back
Top Bottom