What did you build this week?

I did these TM28 spigot adapters for a customer. Pretty happy with them. The OD on the spigots are a bit small for an RD350 intake manifold. I went through this process for my own TM28's several years back, but these ones are much nicer.

333e6iJ.jpg

4ZBI4AV.jpg

Gevf2Rd.jpg

Formed and poured a concrete waterfall bar in the new kitchen over the weekend. Popped off the forms yesterday. A couple of flaws but overall happy with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_9795.JPG
    IMG_9795.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 232
  • Image1531832411.747329.jpg
    Image1531832411.747329.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 227
  • Image1531832424.881427.jpg
    Image1531832424.881427.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 245
advCo said:
Formed and poured a concrete waterfall bar in the new kitchen over the weekend. Popped off the forms yesterday. A couple of flaws but overall happy with the results.

Wow bro, that’s awesome.

I have wanted to have a go at casting some small alloy parts. But to do that I need a furnace to melt the alloy. So after some research on the University of Youtube I started playing with the concept.
IT is working "sort of".
To get it started you need to get some heat into it to start the vaporising process. Oxy works most efficiently at that task ;D After a while it becomes self sustaining. But what I have realised is that the actual combustion is occurring in the furnace rather than the combustion chamber. I think the issue is that the combustion chamber is too small and the flame is being "blown" out into the furnace. So the next design will have a much larger combustion chamber to keep the heat and vaporisation process where it is designed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fAc9R0E9w

Attachments

• 20180722_135059.jpg
    20180722_135059.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 232
XS750AU said:
I have wanted to have a go at casting some small alloy parts. But to do that I need a furnace to melt the alloy. So after some research on the University of Youtube I started playing with the concept.
IT is working "sort of".
To get it started you need to get some heat into it to start the vaporising process. Oxy works most efficiently at that task After a while it becomes self sustaining. But what I have realised is that the actual combustion is occurring in the furnace rather than the combustion chamber. I think the issue is that the combustion chamber is too small and the flame is being "blown" out into the furnace. So the next design will have a much larger combustion chamber to keep the heat and vaporisation process where it is designed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fAc9R0E9w

Nice looking setup
I’ve been kicking around the idea of building one just like that myself.

What did you use for refractory and your crucible?

Maybe the airflow is to strong for the combustion chamber?
What if you wrap the oil feed line around the CC to pre heat it before it drops in?

You need to be able to adjust your air intake and air velocity on your blower. A simple thin piece of stiff cardboard over your the blower's intake will work for the damper. You just slide the cardboard over the hole for the amount of air you need. A rheostat on the blower is needed to turn the fan up as the furnace heats. Your flame indicates a reduction atmosphere which will struggle to gain the heat necessary to melt the metal, as a reduction flame is colder. The flame is always going to move to where it needs to in order gain oxygen. You want to start it with the fuel low, the blower low and air intake mostly closed, and turn up and open as the furnace heats up. How many btu's your burner provides (with given fuel) will determine how fast you can reach melt, so trying to push it by flooding it with fuel or air will only cause it to cool instead of heat. Just like in carburetors, we're looking for a stoichiometric balance of fuel and air.

Made some jewelry display for the business -

w9RcHXc.jpg

JMTq0p8.jpg

ZTXsBxL.jpg

S8uUmBI.jpg

4mm thick hide made it slow going, but was fun figuring out a whole new skill. Dyed the leather, stamped it with our company logo and figured out ways to display all the different styles. Got me away from the computer for a week too so it was a win win.

Cheers Nick, pretty happy with them. With these ones anyway. The pile of duds was hefty.

Sending them off to my brother in the UK who'll be repping the stuff there. Trusting them with FedEx rather than Oops - may the Courier Gods smile benevolently.

Thanks gents, I now have a bunch of leather and tools and a little know-how so will put them to good use on the CB build

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Starting on Plan B for the oil burner.
I am going to use 2 X 300mm stainless steel kitchen bowls to make the vaporising combustion chamber. To clamp the bowls together I made 2 clamp rings out of 12mm square bar rolled to 295mm using a 3 wheel roller I made for a previous project. Very happy with the clamp rings.

Attachments

• DSCF2072.jpg
    DSCF2072.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF2074.jpg
    DSCF2074.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF2075.jpg
    DSCF2075.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF2076.jpg
    DSCF2076.jpg