Desperate for a 1977 Suzuki GS400 front brake switch...

CanadaDan

1977 BMW R75/7 'Mojo'
Turns out the front brake switch had a loose wire. Took it off, stripped back to fresh wires, re-soldered the switch plate and went to reinstall...

Dropped the little metal U inside the switch... think I can find it? Nope! Went over the floor with a magnet, did the flashlight thing CSI style... gone! As a side note I must be doing a lot of grinding because the magnet kept getting covered in metal dust :D

Started trying to make a new one from some thin metal I had in a bin but after 6 prototypes nothing was working... until lucky number 7!

Now I had the brake handle twisted 90 degrees because trying to get all the bits back in upside down is near impossible. Switch worked!

Turned the handle back to riding position... no work... gave up.

So... if anyone has a complete switch in a bin and can hook me up I'd appreciate it. If anyone has a local shop that has better advice for old Suzuki parts than 'find a wrecking yard' I would sure appreciate knowing about them. I would imagine most switches from the late 70s Suzukis will do.

I could really use the entire assembly (12) in the illustration... but the damn missing part is marked just to highlight my frustration :p

Can't get the damn thing safetied until I fix this ::)

It's odd it's not a hydraulic pressure switch. Any Honda I've ever had has a junction where the brake line goes to and then out of, which is a switch for the brake light. The one on your bike is like what would be on a front drum brake.

So worst case you could fit the hydraulic switch off another bike and make up new lines.

Eventually ALL the hand controls will need replacing. The master on this has the outlet in line with the bars. When I tried to mount everything with the clubmans I couldn't fit everything on the bars... everything being the brake and the throttle ;D

So the baby ape hangers are back on :D

It will still be ridable when you come. I'll get vintage plates for it and you'll just have to remember to hit the foot brake to light er up 8)

Well then get plates for the 650 if it makes no difference (unless it needs something to be inherently safe - I can live without a brake light).

Never mind... one of the connectors came apart in the bucket when I wasn't looking... works fine ::)

This is why I stopped at 11pm :p

Back
Top Bottom