My cb550 needs some help and I do too

john83 said:
I've bought stuff from Hotwing Glass and Airtech. They both make good stuff. I don't have a lot of fiberglass stuff laying around and I find it a tedious process so I just pay someone else for it.

John any way you could send me the websites when you get the chance. Googledair tech and all I got were some local hvac places

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

lukieluke said:
Any thoughts on seat unit. Preferably a single seater but I'm open to two seater. Specific sellers or brands?

Here's a tip from an old timer .................. FIRST OFF - get a CLEAR picture in your head [ or sketch ] of what you want your bike to look like.

Then ask for advice input [ we all do ] based on that theme.

I totally agree about monoshock conversion - apart from a solution looking for a problem - it will look shite.

So, traditional twinshock .............. Old style Cafe Racer, modern Cafe Racer - something in between?

A pre-paint mock up will also help if you are not certain if something will "look right" or turn out as you imagined it. It will also help you to find and finalise all those small parts that have gone awol and WILL cause you grief when you come to assemble.

Will these shocks fit my cb550? I saved my vehicle on eBay but the eBay says they won't...
8463954fafcedd5fb7f3fe0867c8ac15.png

lukieluke said:
Will these shocks fit my cb550? I saved my vehicle on eBay but the eBay says they won't...
8463954fafcedd5fb7f3fe0867c8ac15.png

They won't fit the stock 550 swingarm, which it looks like you've got - you need a clevis mount on the bottom of the shock. Also those shocks are around 20mm longer than stock, which will impact handling somewhat, something you'll want to at least consider.

Are the stock shocks toast, or do you just want to replace? Hagon & Ikon shocks are well regarded, depending on what your budget is.

You can get the RFY shock in eye to clevis just search eBay

463f1389d9bb6df820e6573e6c1f3586.png

Sons 750 gas tank chop tail RFY shocks GIXER pillion seat crappy Yosh pipe shinkos and some perfect mods... simple weekend build.

Ok new question. I'm planning on keeping my original forks and bought some new seals and kits for them. But the tops are all rusted.
While I wait I want to restore them and get the rust and grime off. What's the best remover out there. I'm not looking for military grade stuff (all though that would be helpful) just something I can get at the local Home Depot and go to it with a Brillo pad or something like a rag.
d3ee1263b2449db1b4a0d019ec9c9556.jpg

you can soak them in Metal Rescue. that's about as good as they'd be able to get after a 24-36hr soak in that stuff......afterwards you can TRY to steel wool and polish them but you'll definitely need to seal them with some type of product or clear coat.

Back
Top Bottom