pjdave's Sr400

pjdave

DTT BOTM WINNER
Heres my tracker build, I have been searching for a suitable bike for riding around town at the right price for 4 years, was tossing up between a few models Yamaha TW200, SR500, Honda CB 350, BMW R180, Triumph Bonneville (new shape or old) older Ducati, Older Moto Guzzi it didnt really matter as long as it has chrome guards.

Anyway I ended up with an 83 Jap Import Yamaha SR400 that only needed new tyres for rego. I rode it around for 6 Months until one night during mid corner the valve on the rear tube ripped off dropping every bit of air out of the tyre and me doing a speedway style slide down the road at 80kph. Lucky to not drop it I put it back in the shed cleaned my undies and decided it was time to rip it apart.

So far I have started Mocking the bike up before tearing in back down for Powdercoat, paint, polishing and chrome.

Cut the rear frame off to make a new tidier rear loop, Modified Blank guards from England, had Ashs spoked wheelz build me up some 17"x 3 and 17"x 4.25 rims for some 17" 120 and 140 Shinko 705 tyres ( Original runs a 18" rear and 19" front)

Had a spare "powerbomb" header from my CRF450r so I thought Id see how it looks mated to a Cone Engineering rear cone, I need to tweak it a little to get past the kick starter.

A new "moped" tank arrived yesterday from India so I got into cutting the tunnel out to see how it would fit, I happy so will get to making and welding the new wider tunnel and mounts.

Mocked up a seat out of styrofoam to get the lines of the bike, I need to spend more time on it as Im not really happy with the shape and length.

Attachments

• Z2.JPG
    Z2.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 465
  • Z3.JPG
    Z3.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 511
  • Z5.jpg
    Z5.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,659
  • Z7.JPG
    Z7.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 509
more pics

Attachments

• Z8.JPG
    Z8.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 473
  • Z11.JPG
    Z11.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 453
  • Z12.JPG
    Z12.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 459
  • Z13.JPG
    Z13.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 1,791
Spent the other night making seat pan.

Attachments

• Z16.JPG
    Z16.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 432
Great build pics. Love that idea about re hosting tank and how you did it. is that standard exhaust or custom?

Looks great! I really dig the wire wheels on these bikes. Unfortunately, the US market SRs all got mags. Care to sell your old ones? I could really use a set for my SR500. Also curious about the exhaust and the fitment. Looks like it bolted right up :eek:

BarnBurner said:
Looks great! I really dig the wire wheels on these bikes. Unfortunately, the US market SRs all got mags. Care to sell your old ones? I could really use a set for my SR500. Also curious about the exhaust and the fitment. Looks like it bolted right up :eek:

Cheers for the replys.

BB, I only have the original 19 and 18 rims leftover, the 17s were laced to the original freshly vapour blasted hubs.
The shape of the exhaust was close but far from bolt on. I had to modify as the CRF end flange is smaller than a yamaha, then the also cut the kink out and reweld to get it to hug the line of the bike. Its gonna be a leg burner :) Id be interested to see how a WRF or YZF header bolted up.

Pulled the engine out of the frame on Christmas Eve and spent some spare time over the holidays degreasing, waterblasting and sand blasting it.
Put a coat of paint on the barrel and block.

Drilled some speed holes in the sprocket cover along with polishing it with the clutchand staor covers.

Still working on the frame hoop before sending it all off for powdercoating.

Pj

Attachments

• Z21.JPG
    Z21.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 422
  • Z22.JPG
    Z22.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 427
That is a super-cool build. Love the drum brakes and muffler. Which technique did you use painting your engine?

Any progress on this? Been looking at those Wassell rear guards for my SR250 build. What models did you go with? I am also looking to run the full length rear with swept up rear loop. Looks super clean so far!

Progress Has been slow at the moment, I dont have a welder so a mate is buttoning up the rear hoop and a few brackets. Should be picking it all up this weekend.

I went with the widest plain guard I could find, 160mm (6")

With painting the engine, I first degreased it, pressure washed, the masked off and then painted it with high temperature VHT rattle can paint.

Most of all the parts I need are sitting in the shed, so next process will be getting the frame powdercoated and then the fun begins.

Pj

Frame and seat pan are done off to the powdercoaters we go. New additions are Rear loop, indicator brackets, new brake pedal stop, battery box and all used tabs removed. Itching to get this thing rolling again.
Dave

Attachments

• SR23.JPG
    SR23.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 474
  • SR25.JPG
    SR25.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 421
Back from the powdercoaters. How the bike looks at the moment. waiting for a bunch of parts to return from the nickel platers. Will get into the wiring while Im waiting. PJ

Attachments

• Z23.JPG
    Z23.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 392
Have been working on a new loom, have split all components onto separate fuses. As the bike sits now. Pj

Attachments

• Z25.JPG
    Z25.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Z26.JPG
    Z26.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 353
Back
Top Bottom