72 Suzuki GT380

This morning I installed the new clutch cable. What a huge difference-1000 percent better. I also installed the new rear brake shoes and also a new fuel cap gasket, After that, I took it outside and it started on the first kick :D. The only real thing I have to do to the bike right now is the front brake and get some real handlebars, not my homemade ones. Oh ya, and I have to get a new seat. The one on there right now pushes me forward too much. I have another seat, but it needs to be redone.

Oh ya, another thing. I cut off 14" of extra cable that the ebay store said was the 'right' speedo cable and made it work.

Getting there.

BTW, how did you manage to remake the square section on that speedo cable inner?

I cut that end off about 5 inches and then cut the other end to length and then tack welded it back together. I had to do it 2 times because the two ends wouldn't line up exactly, but then I clamped both pieces to a solid steel plate and welded with my mig welder (slow wire feed). On the outside casing I cut to length and used some clear fuel line to link them together (think shrink tube).

Handlebars came in and I installed that last week. Also, today I got my final bits in today to finish up the front brake. Hopefully I can finish that up tomorrow morning and call it good. Not changing seat either, I'll keep it because it is pretty mint.
One more thing that is a little surprise. I won't say yet what it is, but if it works out I'll take pics.

Installed my new brake line, but I can't get the master cylinder to get any pressure. So it looks like I will have to rebuild that, too.
Found out that the speedo mechanism on the wheel isn't working, so I don't know if I can take that apart and fix or get a new one. Hopefully
someone will chime in and give me some insite.
Tomorrow I'm wiring in my LED's. Here's what it'll look like.
led1.jpg

There are two strips and they are mounted under tank. It's blue on one side, and red on the other. From the red side, which is shown, it looks awesome with the blue. From the blue side, it's hard to see the red. But I like the contrast, so I'll keep it. Best part is is that the LED strips are magnetic and prewired (I'll install some double sided tape, too). I'll post some pics later of the install.

Wow. I had a guy at work today hit me up to sell him the Suzuki, and he offered quite a bit of money for it. I'm not opposed to the idea, but he has no real riding experience. He has to ask the 'boss' first anyways, so we'll see what she says ::) Good thing I picked up my next project. I bought a CB100 from a member on here. I'll try to get a build thread going soon, and I'll keep you posted on the sale.

Update:
I did not sell the bike, so now I am going to keep it and restore it over the winter. What a fun bike. Love the sound of a multi cylinder two stroke. :)

You should hear one of these bad boys with some fairly aggressive port timing and a decent set of (barely muffled) chambers - sounds like a chain saw goin' through sheet metal.
BTW, the Doobies are playin and the whiskey is flowin'.
I'm just sayin'
Pat

It's funny how addicting polishing is. I am not polishing everything to a mirror like shine, just polishing to a shine. I've come up with a strategy thats been working for me. Tomorrow I'll post some pics of the pieces I've been working on.

Finally had some nice riding weather in Michigan, so I decided to take it out for a ride. The darn battery was too low on charge, and I needed gasoline. So I charged the battery last night and got new fuel this morning and got it started. After some final tweaking with the carbs, I'm happy to say it runs strong. I added some K&N air filters this winter so I don't want to ride too much until I look at the spark plugs and see whats going on. I have talked with some experts that feel I won't have to rejet, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I also did some work on it this winter, and here it is.
GT380_zps0413d4c5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom