GSXR cams in a Katana? Any Suzuki performance guys here?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I'm swapping a 2000 Katana 750 engine into a 1980 GS550. Had I been a little more informed about Suzuki performance, I would have looked for a GSXR750 engine instead.

I have some BST36 carbs with RamAir filters and internal velocity stacks, a Dynojet Stage 3 kit and a Yoshimura pipe/muffler for the stock header. I'll also add a 5 degree ignition advancer or modify the stock one.

I've read that the '86-90 GSXR 750 cams can be installed for a HP bump (as well as the '88-89 Katana 1100 cams).
Been doing some reading and searching, but the info is scarce and the threads are old. Hey....who's modifying 20 year old Katana's these days anyway?!

https://katriders.com/forum/service-department/katana-how-to-s-faq-s/26784-installing-gsxr-cams-in-a-katana?t=75466

I believe I've located a set of cams. These can be swapped right in using the Katana cam gears and valve springs.
Is it worth $100-125 and my time to do this? One of the local speed shops that deals with late model performance (relative to the vintage stuff we deal with) says I can probably get 100HP to the wheel with the aforementioned mods and some dyno tuning. Are the cams worth it?

Back
Top Bottom