1972 Austin Mini

Rocan

"Long after I rest, my steel will live on"
Finally Uploaded pics of my 1972 (same year as the bike!) Austin Mini 1000.

has a 1 liter block out of a metro, pre-verto clutch, some POS aftermarket glass pack exhaust/muffler (not even mandrel bends! but loud), minilite knock offs in 12" with falken fk-006 tires (only can make them lose grip at high speeds (50mph) uphill, or by using the handbrake :)).

Only had it 2 weeks before I had to leave it in malta, but got a couple things done in that time...

had to replace the master cylinder (not pictured here) and run a new line to the slave cylinder (which had already been replaced). Also replaced the rear cones (one collapsed) and dampners. used cheapo parts for the time being, next time I go down to malta shell get a nice upgrade in handling (and maybe a 1.3liter metro swap with a ported head?! only time will tell).

_DSC0017.jpg

_DSC0023.jpg

_DSC0022.jpg

_DSC0021.jpg

_DSC0020.jpg

_DSC0019.jpg

Rocan said:

Oh that's so cuuuuute! Can it do Buttonhole and Satin stitches? :p

jmwy ;) Car looks good dude. I'd love to have an original Mini.

Problem with the bike motor swaps is the drive chain is too short and wears components quickly. Even 40hp is quite enough for my island... But I'll be happy with 80 :)

First things first though; handling upgrades. Desperately needs anti roll bar in the rear and more camber up front. As for brakes.... Aren't ALL minis supposed to pull to the right when you hit the brakes? ;)

Just take the spoon off the petal...
Shouldn't be using brakes on that car ever...
Slow down with the steering wheel

I'm not worried about the turns, its the asshole braking in front of me ;)

Nice Mini!... I really like the originals better than the Re-do.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying the pair of late '50s Berkeley Sports Cars I saw for sale. One in nice shape with a parts car. They were tiny, sporty, and FWD via Motorcycle engine with a chain.
Kinda like these.

941756775_c01e2141bd.jpg

Berkeley_resized.jpg

Berkley2-480-4564.jpg

Love those berks!

Nahh, vtec ain't no a type. A metro 1.3 turbo is plenty of power if I decide I need more

Is that before they moved the dizzy? My father-in-law had an old mini and it would stop working every time it rained. The distributor was located in front of everything and low to the ground and would short out constantly in wet weather. He used to open it up and pack it with vasoline every time he filled up the tank... lol

THe thing about those silly little cars is that just the slightest horsepower makes them *stupidly* fast.
I would drive that in a heartbeat. Though I would probably have to take the front seats out and sit in the back.

THough, every time I see one, I'm overcome with the urge to put a recliner on top.
mr-bean-fuck-the-police1.jpg

Sonreir said:
Is that before they moved the dizzy? My father-in-law had an old mini and it would stop working every time it rained. The distributor was located in front of everything and low to the ground and would short out constantly in wet weather. He used to open it up and pack it with vasoline every time he filled up the tank... lol

they never moved the dizzy, the late ones just got elctronic ignition! haha. A lot of people put weather shields on them to prevent that issue. since it never really rains in malta, I don't have to worry about it much.

The long awaited video is finally up after nearly a year. took a few hours to process everything, but finally got it done since I'm back from school now. more videos soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tbdUJZ56eQ

i had one of these and had to sell it but i always wanted to put a honda k series motor in it for 200hp

AJWatUC said:
i had one of these and had to sell it but i always wanted to put a honda k series motor in it for 200hp

+1 on that! My brother and I have been looking for a good donor to do a honda motor swap on and make all wheel drive. Nice Coop Rocan!

danejurrous said:
+1 on that! My brother and I have been looking for a good donor to do a honda motor swap on and make all wheel drive. Nice Coop Rocan!

If I did a honda swap I would do AWD. Only honda swap I wanted. It's bad enough that my friend thebeave is a honda builder AND a mini lover!

Honestly 100hp from an original motor is already plenty scary enough. and the sound the A type motors make is amazinggg when your hopping down the road.

Back
Top Bottom