Tim's SR500

Re: Tim's SR500 - Nov 7 2010 - wheels on the bike - more inspiration and ideas

I think with the seat, you going to want something sits over the rails to give you a straight backbone look-seems like it'd be easy to fab something like this out of sheet metal:
GGSm-Seat02-275x204.gif

And ditch all the stuff off the top of the bars- gauges, turn signals, much smaller head light, etc. Throws off the lines.

Gee Tim,
If you want a true to life, integral number plate Graham Racing seat, I have one in stock at $141.95 plus HST. A real dirt track seat, was used on their Knight framed Ascot in the early 80's. Has been put on a bunch of different bikes. Can also supply a seat base for upholstery if you're so inclined at a modest additional price.
Have you whacked the tunnel out of that RD60 tank yet?
Maybe you should give me the tank to make a fiberglass copy and then you can chop 'til your heart's content...LOL
Pat Cowan,
Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass

Tim, just catching on to this thread. Looking good. I hear you on not wanting a cookie cutter tracker (though none really are) Love those little Jap style trackers, where they blend the nostalgia of a couple different styles into one bike. Keep it up.

Worked on it more tonight - took more crap off the bike (battery cage, tool box etc.) and dislodged all the electrical components for relocation. Popped the bearings out of the wheels to sort out what I need in terms of replacements and have sorted out the specific bearing numbers I need so no probs there.

I'm going to re-use the stock rear MC as it's WAY easier to use it than try to retro-fit something else, and it's in good shape and mounts hidden and out of the way. I'll prob re-use the front too. The SR's levers have a nice beefy feel with the rubber gaiters on them. The front forks will probably get gaiters too.

Re: Tim's SR500 - Nov 10 2010 - wheels off the bike - bearings brakes and booties

What may be a major snag and forcing a redirect - cracked front spool hub.

So I now have a choice. I can either:

a) find another front spool hub (~$100 used / $250 new) and continue with the plans of ordering Buchanan spokes ($100/wheel = $200) and then sort out all the brackets and spacers needed to mount them and have calipers land in the right spots (might need new rotors too)

or....

b) take the middle road and convert a spare 19" front SR500 mag (courtesy of Hide's spoke conversion project) to a rear wheel via machined kit and run 19" mags front and rear (still common on 'real' trackers)

or....

c) take the cheap and fast route and run the stock 18" rear / 19" front mags with stock brakes etc.

If I run mags, I'm contemplating powdercoating them white :8 to be different and continue paying homage to my 1970/1980's BMX heritage (white Skyway mags were ALL the rage).

At this point I'm leaning to C. Easiest, cheapest, fastest. I can always put tracker wheels on it at some point, but white mags might look awesome and an 18" rear isn't much different from a 19" front, especially if I run the same width tires on both.

So... opinions please. The hub looks quite busted to my untrained eyes. Too bad I already dropped $30 on new bearings :( and had the tire removed / spent time taking it apart - but wouldn't have found it otherwise. It was all hidden under the rotor.

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

Re: Tim's SR500 - Nov 11 2010 - first small bump in the road / possible detour

Here's one with what appears to be stock 19/18 mags - not bad ;)

finished8.jpg

dude, i totaly dig the mags, those are one of my favorite stock wheels.

White Skyway Tuff Wheels were the thing to have when I was a kid.... hmmmm....

Skyway-FlashCap-03.jpg

Love the white mags idea. funny I just ordered those tires for my XS. the ones on the tracker not the BMX, but how cool would white tires be!! ;D

Which specific tires did you order? I'm gonna have to bite that bullet soon, but not till I finalize my wheels of course.

Tim said:
Which specific tires did you order? I'm gonna have to bite that bullet soon, but not till I finalize my wheels of course.

Actually, I ended up not getting those tires I wanted them but not in the budget. I opted for the Kenda k761's Dual sports at the right price.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/15129/ITEM/Kenda-K761-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx

I actually ordered mine from a local dealer though.

Or just spray it black and pretend I never knew.

I could just run a standard 40 hole front hub - doesn't have to be 'tracker'.

What bikes have 40 spokes?

Duh... CB550 / CB750....

So... maybe a CB550 front hub / rotor will do the trick laced into this rim. Hmmmmm......

Still might just go the mag route.

If it were me and I, for whatever reason, couldn't do exactly what I wanted to do with the laced tracker tires I'd go with the mags to save the time and money. Then do the tracker wheels later if I wanted to.

Yup

Tim said:
Still might just go the mag route.

WELL!!.. then... if you are gonna go with the mags, you may as well spray them matte black, (along with the rest of the bike), slam it 3 inches in front and shorties in the back with clippons and slap a 59 caddy taillight on the back then quickly mount 1 saddlebag accidently-on--purpose crookedl on one side and call it a day...

Build is over gents... nothing to stare are here... go on home everyone... ;D ;D

For a street bike I'd go with the stock mag wheels - preferrably flat black (will suit the tires nicely!)...
The front hub is such a simple device, easy to repair: just turn and drill a new flange!

Best regards
Sven

Fuck Noel dude. Do what you want! fucking purists.

j/k ;D

Back
Top Bottom