First time cb400 Project

cool brother... Im stoked my intuition was right about it.
Thanks for the heads up.

Re: First time cb400 Project - Finally got a camera

These are long over due...
DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0451.jpg

Also... went to a sick show this weekend so here are some pix you might enjoy:

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

ericngsta said:
what camera are you using? amazing clarity in those shots...1st triumph chop = dream bike.

The lady and I just got a Nikon d40... So fuckin happy with it. Its small but perfect for learning the ropes.

Also, your avatar doesn't mess me up any more. ;D

I agree those are some good pics (I may be bias though i have a D40 too) :D

Thanks for the compliments on the pics gents. The d40 is a great starter.

The chain is not crooked and neither is the shock. Its def the pic.

The signals only work in the rear as they are not running lights also. I never did figure out how to get the fronts going cause the ground wire messed me up but to be honest, I never really spent that much time on it. The rears were fairly easy the wires were reversed tho.

hey nice job. How are the pod filters working out? can't get my cm to run right with them. Any ideas of you jet size etc.Thanks.

porkchopper said:
hey nice job. How are the pod filters working out? can't get my cm to run right with them. Any ideas of you jet size etc.Thanks.

pods are working well... Im pretty sure I running 88/135 for my jets.

I think my float got stuck this weekend. It wasn't running that well and then when I got home I was leaking gas out of the over flow tubes. It was also 108 in the Valley here in So Cal.

One question for someone: My exhaust wrap on the right side is turning white from being so hot. My guess is that the plug isn't gaped right. either that or the timing needs to be adjusted. Anything else I could try?

Just sold this old lady to a great first timer. Sad to see her go but needed the money to finish the poor boy. Se la Vi.

That back wheel was out of alignment which is why the chain looks crooked. Overheating on ones dies is a sure sign something wasn't right in terms of jetting or timing, but I guess it's all a moot point now it's gone. C'est la vie.

Forgive the stupid question. Do I need to order 52mm pods? And what jets did you need to use ?
Canuck Plumber said:
Mine were 52 mm. You'll find that the right side pod fits REALLY snug against the frame... but it still fits. Ebay has a set of manometers to balance your carbs. Its really important to balance them after a rebuild. If they aren't the bike will run like a bag of crap.

As for the kick start. I believe the last year Honda had a 400 with a kick start was in 79..... and no... you unfortunately can not add one... (at least not with out spending some serious coin at a machine shop... and even then). I asked the same question about the bike after I did and engine swap. :p

The rebuild kit you but from Ebay doesn't have all of the parts needed for a complete rebuild. Some of the parts (like the little diaphragm on the Air Set Honda part number 16048-443-901 is stupid expensive (at least from the local guys). It basically a little leather and neoprene gasket the size of a quarter. I spent about 100 a piece and they supplied the lube (it was very gritty).

Hey no problem. I believe I did use 52 mm pods back then, but I have since switched to some custom velocity stacks. Which also meant another rejet. If your running pods then (if I remember correctly, increase your jets to compensate for the increased airflow. The size of your jets will vary depending on a few factors; like exhaust and intake size. I did run with 130s but increased them to 145 to compensate. Fair bit of screwing around to get them running right.

Hope that helps

Axxra said:
Very helpful thread. I'm currently working on my first project bike which happens to be a CB400T also. I'm having similar issues. Mine dies after 10 minutes or so and leaks fuel from one of the carbs. Other than that it's been fun. Not much done with it. Replaced the ball bearing in the steering tube with tapered ones and swapped both tripples with ones from a cb400f.

Keep up the good work.
Hi how did you get the tapered bearings on? It was a bitches taking out the original ones and the replacement looks like a tight fit as well.

Back
Top Bottom