68 Ducati 250 SSS minus an S

Texasstar

Can't is a four letter dirty word
Kind of a restoration. The bike that Fabio Taglioni should have built?
c3bf181e6b07d002ac9528fbb3fc989c.png
fcc67f58021720c9b8355d8b60eb95b7.png
Zeke was suppose to be doing his homework during computer class at school. He found this online and it was close to home so we took a look.
a2cae3cb3bd63d7743019efc7daef53f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This build has been on hold for the past two years until we finished our other Zoöid cb175 build. Now we get to work on one of our bikes again! Zeke's dream bike is the Ducati Elite 200 with a Jellymold tank also called the "bean" tank but this fell into our lap and we have been doing research on Ducati small singles for the past year including Fabio Taglioni the designer that made Ducati's so beautiful. Fabio's name means 'bean' in Italian. Fabio came to Ducati from Mondial and the Mondial is one of my favorite Italian bikes.

When we arrived to look at the bike we thought we were going to see the Scrambler in the condition of the pictures but boy were we in for a surprise. This guy was so good his wife didn't know he was working on it as a project and you could tell it was a passion of his. We were standing in his garage which had boxes stacked in it but if you turned around and looked at his house it had just been demolished by a tornado. When we approached his address we couldn't believe what destruction this tornado did. However when we turned back to look in the garage he started pulling out the parts. The frame was powder-coated. He pulled out a fully painted and sealed Monza tank. The seat was covered and badged Ducati. Next was the engine. A widecase 250. He had it fully rebuilt by Syds Cycles out of Florida. Forks were 35mm Marzocchis but one was bent. Most of the parts were there! He had shouldered rims laced up with Avon rubber, He also collected Italian NOS for the project. We left because there was no way we could afford what he was asking. Later that night he called us and said he wanted us to have the bike and made us a deal we couldn't refuse. We took it home and Zeke stayed up and put it together that night and there it sat for two years.
60d7be44badd7eda22c02ae59b8d3aed.jpg
7a8d3e12f966df91f396d91fb24edbe6.jpg
85ca736714b83351831c915ecbd8cd03.jpg

Onward time for some modifications to the rear sprocket. We made a template in fusion 360 for some speed holes.
9f5587fdb76ad2043bd9eed5e6b466f4.jpg
366d386c9e45db6fc1c1c3ed23e9499e.jpg

We have made significant strides in upgrades on our Honda electrical systems so we are thinking about converting the 6v Ducati with a 60 watt charging system over to 12 volt. Seems to be an easy fix. This article is for a Ducati narrow case but the concept is the same for the Ducati widecase. All you have to do is wire them in series, In fact what I have read for the wide case is that all we have to do is leave one wire disconnected since it is not grounded internally to the stator.
d97ad49f0677180cff7dc608375907fc.gif

Ride height of the Scrambler the day after we had it Home.
9830dcf8315715f595a526bdc15399e1.png

So we lowered the front 35mm Marzocchis with spacers and lowered the rear also.
f06c870d096535a15449f2ed6ee53a41.png

Did not like the Scrambler fork ears nor the lines of the bike with that head light so we picked up some period correct ears.
3620108de51fbff506c8b315696a87a8.png

We have the Duc in the shop. We made a lazy Susan bike stand over Christmas. https://youtu.be/Zjf-jYKdy7I

https://youtu.be/wAaPbRtA7As To marry the 35mm Marzocchis triple to the cast head light ears for our Ducati 250 build we needed to machine some delrin spacers to set the height of the of the headlight bucket. We used a boring bar on our g0602 Grizzly Lathe. Delrin machines great!

Removing the bezel from a Ducati 250 speedometer to clean and lube. https://youtu.be/L_A91IBNoXU

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_throttle_assembly_-tommaselli_super_pratic_b-.html. Throttle assembly (Tommaselli Super Pratic B)

Super Pratic B retaining ring install. https://instagram.com/p/Bd7zyl0hNVC/

Not real enthused about the Super Pratic B throttle design. It seems that it would be better to have 3 set screws to center the collar so the barrel isn’t offset and creates drag on the throttle. Have gone to a thinner rubber drag but the throttle still doesn’t want to retract after cleaning and lubing.

Love these little Ducati’s. What’s the miles per boxes of pasta on that guy?

Back
Top Bottom