Hello from Virginia

ericlws66

Just found these forums today and found a lot of good info on here and seems like there are some great enthusiast on here.
I picked up a 73 cb750 back in the fall but haven't had time or money to touch it. Its getting warm and I want to ride, so its time to start getting it ready.
Heres how it sits now.
cb750%20stock%20001.jpg

Its got a nasty oil leak running down the kickstand, any ideas? I have to fix that first then it'll be ready to ride.
So far plans are: giulari seat, drag bars or clubmans, remove fenders, and shorty shocks/springs.
After graduating college i plan to tear it apart and fully restore everything.
Here are the rest of the pics http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jlowes/bike/

Eric

Hey Eric ... welcome aboard ;D ;D. Your oil leak could be a result of a countershaft seal, remove the cover (shifter) and have a look see. You may need to clean the area with a solvent (brake cleaner) and run the bike to see if you can find the source of your leak.

Hey Eric,

Welcome aboard??!!... Nice bike and its a great starting point for a Cafe Racer!!..

Why not put CLubman bars instead of Drags?.. I had drags before on my cb350, didnt like it then changed to Clubmans.

Also, where you gonna get a Giuliari seat??... Those are pretty rare!!.. LOL!!.. ;D ;D ;D

Cant wait to see the progress!!... For a great example of a sexy cb750, check out ProTeal's cb750.
He'd got all the mods you mentioned!!..

Cheers
N

Thanks Noel, LOL, yea i don't know where im going to get a Giuliari seat from. They are so rare and hard to find. I've been searching forever lol

Looking at some of the pics of people riding with the clubmans, it looks very painful and I already have a bad back from working on cars so much. Plus i found a set of drag bars for $15. So I'll start with those and then switch later If i don't like them.

Proteals bike is what really caught my eye on that seat, I like it so much better than the fiberglass bubbles etc. His bike is pretty sexy. Its pretty much how I want mine to look.

Eric

XS650RR said:
Hey Eric ... welcome aboard ;D ;D. Your oil leak could be a result of a countershaft seal, remove the cover (shifter) and have a look see. You may need to clean the area with a solvent (brake cleaner) and run the bike to see if you can find the source of your leak.

Thanks, I'm going to pull it apart today and take a look at it.

ericlws66 said:
Thanks Noel, LOL, yea i don't know where im going to get a Giuliari seat from. They are so rare and hard to find. I've been searching forever lol

Looking at some of the pics of people riding with the clubmans, it looks very painful and I already have a bad back from working on cars so much. Plus i found a set of drag bars for $15. So I'll start with those and then switch later If i don't like them.

Proteals bike is what really caught my eye on that seat, I like it so much better than the fiberglass bubbles etc. His bike is pretty sexy. Its pretty much how I want mine to look.

Eric

Believe it or not, I find the clubman's a lot more comfortable than the Drags. I guess, it depends on the angle that you set the clubmans...
Just ask Tummyson. I believe he went from stock bars, to Drags, to Clubmans...

Cheers

Welcome Eric. Nice bike you have to start with.
I have Clubman bars on my bike, and like them a lot. I switched from a 1" raised bar to the Clubmans last Winter, so have had one season with them. I don't feel much differance overall, I do have long arms though.

78kz said:
Welcome Eric. Nice bike you have to start with.
I have Clubman bars on my bike, and like them a lot. I switched from a 1" raised bar to the Clubmans last Winter, so have had one season with them. I don't feel much differance overall, I do have long arms though.

Thanks. I guess ill start with the clubmans. They do look more "authentic" and more of the style i want to go with.

Can't wait for my seat to get here :) I heart noel.

LOL.. post some pics of that Giuliari seat when you get it!!

Cheers
noel

So I found the oil leak. Hahah. apparently the chain had broken when the previous owner had it, and the chain slapped the crankcase right underneath the front sprocket and put a nice dime sized hole in it. I couldnt see the leak/hole till i degreased the hell out of the sprocket area. I thought it was the auto chain oiler at first, but it was way to much built up oil for that. Here is a picture of the hole under the sprocket http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jlowes/bike/cb750%20stock%20016.jpg
I welded it up today, changed oil, checked brakes etc, and will take it for road test tomorrow.
Can't wait for the seat to come in ;D

While you're chasing oil leaks, make sure you have the oil seal in the tach drive in the valve cover. Often this is lost and never replaced, and is a common source of a mystery 'headgasket' leak :) Glad you found the problem and were able to fix it - not many of us who can weld up a hole in the engine cases.

Tintin said:
While you're chasing oil leaks, make sure you have the oil seal in the tach drive in the valve cover. Often this is lost and never replaced, and is a common source of a mystery 'headgasket' leak :) Glad you found the problem and were able to fix it - not many of us who can weld up a hole in the engine cases.

Thanks, I posted on sohc4.us about this, but the gasket seems to be missing around the tach drive, but the previous owner just covered it with silicon. It hasnt leaked from there yet, so i'll prob just leave it like that. You can see it here. http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jlowes/bike/cb750%20stock%20007.jpg
I'm very lucky my roommate has a tig welder, or i probably would have just covered the whole with JB weld lol.

Back
Top Bottom