XS360 starts every kick but revs to the moon!

b5iveS4

Been Around the Block
No clue what's happening but got my bike back together after sitting for over a year. Bike is a '77 XS360 kick only. Bike starts every time but when it does it revs to what I assume is redline(tach isn't hooked up). Throttle cable isn't stuck and throttle is closed. Slides aren't stuck either. I haven't cleaned the carbs this go around. Could something else be stuck causing this?

One thing to note, is I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs when I was starting it with no tank on it...could carb cleaner cause it to rev like that?

After you have 100% confirmed that the idle screws are set right (butterflies not stuck open) and that the choke is not engaged, take a look at the intake boots and make sure they are not leaking. A cracked intake boot or bad gasket can cause a racing idle. To confirm this, first make sure all the bolts and clamps are good and tight, then start the bike and spray carb cleaner on the outsides of those boots and see if the idle is affected at all.

And make sure that the slides are mounted in the correct orientation.dunno what kind of carbs you are running but the yamaha rd carbs have slides with an angled side which need need to be mounted correctly or its stuck in full throttle (angled side on intake side)

Happened to me first time I started up my first build. Even if the cable isn't stuck it could be a little too short and keeping them slides open at zero throttle. Check the gap under the slides, it should be close to the thickness of a pin/paperclip.

Back
Top Bottom