CB650C Pod Filters

thwrightstuff

"Trust me, I'm an engineer"
After lots and lots of research, I have found somewhat little useful information on trying to run Emgo 48mm pod filters on a 1980 CB650 Custom with pressed slow jets. I've been tuning my carbs and currently I have 125 mains and stock slows, I think, I don't know how to measure them to get an accurate size reading. I've found information on pod filter setups and form what I understand, it's definitely very possible with the stock carbs and not spending a metric ass ton for CRs.

The most useful information I found is here: http://www.chinonthetank.com/2010/08/cb650-pod-filters/, But I still don't know why my system si so boggy. I feel like I need to go WAY up in main jets and find another way of altering the slow jet sizes. I need recommendations.

I guess, as far as changing the slow jets, I can just yank out the olds, clean the hole and hand push in news with a vice grip? Will that be good enough?

Is anyone else having these issues with pod filters and just can't seem to get them to work?

Again, if there's a thread exactly for this, please point me in the right direction!

What exhaust are you using?

on my GS850 i went to the largest i could find. 137.5. it will be a lot of trial and error. generally more error.

I got the 18'' Quieter Core exhaust by CE. I fear I may need to go way up in main jet size and probably redrill or find new pilot jets.

good luck. I've been working on exactly this issue for an abnormally long amount of time and I'm no stranger to tuning carbs for pods.

for starters, on hondacb650.com it's common knowledge that the slow jets were lean from the factory as it is. guys over there swap from the 35's to 38's on an otherwise completely stock bike so they're not so cold-blooded.

I've tried 40's, and 42's. 42's are close but I might try 45's to see if they're better.

S.C.I. normally carries the press-in pilots as a set of (4) for $22. but they seem to always be on backorder or out of stock so I've had to bite the bullet and pay a little more to get them from power-barn.com

I'm running the same mains as you've listed....

needles are non-adjustable, so you'll need to shim those. That's where I'm at now trying to tune out a really nasty hesitation at part-throttle. I'm guessing two washers will be the ticket but man have these carbs put up a fight.

Damn dude, it's a real struggle. I just bought some 42's from jetsrus.com, $11 a piece, and some 135's, 140's and 142's. Maybe I can find something to fit just right. I checked SCI, but like you said, out of stock, those bastards.

Do you mean the jet needle or the jet holder? Because jet needles are adjustable with the clips. What size washers do you use usually? I am hoping to get some work done on this today.

I had my carbs working mostly fine with my last exhaust (no clue what it was) and the stock airbox, but I'm sick of that thing and I had to change the exhaust. I just ordered a nice pair of oval K&N's coming in tomorrow, hopefully those help.

By the way, if your preferences are anything like mine, this new exhaust is premium! Perfect sound and not crazy loud.

thwrightstuff said:
Damn dude, it's a real struggle. I just bought some 42's from jetsrus.com, $11 a piece, and some 135's, 140's and 142's. Maybe I can find something to fit just right. I checked SCI, but like you said, out of stock, those bastards.

Do you mean the jet needle or the jet holder? Because jet needles are adjustable with the clips. What size washers do you use usually? I am hoping to get some work done on this today.

I had my carbs working mostly fine with my last exhaust (no clue what it was) and the stock airbox, but I'm sick of that thing and I had to change the exhaust. I just ordered a nice pair of oval K&N's coming in tomorrow, hopefully those help.

By the way, if your preferences are anything like mine, this new exhaust is premium! Perfect sound and not crazy loud.

I pulled the carbs apart and the needles themselves are not the grooved/e-clip type. they are one piece with no adjustment. I re-build so many carbs I usually use washers I save from carb jobs....which are typically the washers that go with the o-ring for mixture screws. I usually have tons of these around, as I tend to rebuild over 20 racks of carbs per year.

Back
Top Bottom