My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

First of all thanks as always for all the comments and suggestions, really appreciate it :)

To address the porting work first: Eric from sundial motorsports is well respected for his work tuning T500's, he has many years of doing this under his belt. My requirement from Eric was that I would end up at around 55hp with all of the engine mods, I told him I wasn't too bothered about the bottom end but he insisted that he port it so that it would have good power all through the rev range. This was corroborated by a member on here that did the calculations for my pipes, he told me that the porting specs on my cylinders is not real crazy. The pipes were also not designed for power all in the high rpm range, they should work well at low rpm as well as up higher.

I raced two strokes for many years and I know the basics about how they run and how one thing will effect another but unfortunately I never really paid much attention to the carburation, I had a tuner that worked with me on that. I guess what I am saying is that I can tell by feel that this is most likely not a porting issue but a jetting issue.

Anyway I will do a plug chop at full throttle to check where I'm at on the main jet. My carbs are brand new and I have had them totally apart and there are no obvious issues. All the jets I've used have been genuine Mikunis.

Again keep the comments coming I am glad there are people interested in this it is a big help!

John I wanted to give you props on the pipes. As I found out gas welding 22ga. is very tough!

My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

One sure fire way to know if you are running lean on the idle circuit is by wicking the throttle quickly in neutral, if you get any bog before it picks up, it's lean.

clem said:
John I wanted to give you props on the pipes. As I found out gas welding 22ga. is very tough!

Haha thanks, gas welding 22g mild steel is a piece of cake compared to gas welding aluminum tanks :)

Re: Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

johnu said:
First of all thanks as always for all the comments and suggestions, really appreciate it :)

To address the porting work first: Eric from sundial motorsports is well respected for his work tuning T500's, he has many years of doing this under his belt. My requirement from Eric was that I would end up at around 55hp with all of the engine mods, I told him I wasn't too bothered about the bottom end but he insisted that he port it so that it would have good power all through the rev range. This was corroborated by a member on here that did the calculations for my pipes, he told me that the porting specs on my cylinders is not real crazy. The pipes were also not designed for power all in the high rpm range, they should work well at low rpm as well as up higher.

I raced two strokes for many years and I know the basics about how they run and how one thing will effect another but unfortunately I never really paid much attention to the carburation, I had a tuner that worked with me on that. I guess what I am saying is that I can tell by feel that this is most likely not a porting issue but a jetting issue.

Anyway I will do a plug chop at full throttle to check where I'm at on the main jet. My carbs are brand new and I have had them totally apart and there are no obvious issues. All the jets I've used have been genuine Mikunis.

Again keep the comments coming I am glad there are people interested in this it is a big help!

Oh I was not saying it's a porting issue. I should have been more clear I was leaning that the porting is causing a jetting issue due to change in velocity of air coming through the carbs this compounds when you Ditch the factory air box for pods as well (some bikes worse than others).

The reason for the pop can top test is to increase your low volume low pressure at idle to a higher pressure.
Switching to focusing on the main might help in this drastic situation but if you are going to that, you might as well tune the needle in the same direction as the main. Meaning if leaning the main 1 size produces postive results I would lean the needle next and ping pong the two.

How much lower do the pilot sizes go? 25 sounds really small. What was stock again?

The fella that ported your motor should be able to get you in the ball park with jetting unless you are using a carb he's not familiar with, ask him what slide, pilots, needle, needle jet and mains he uses.
I'm offering suggestions based on you saying the bike has no go off the line but then won't rev past 4k?

I like to start tuning with the idle circuit and work up. Who cares about the main, it doesn't effect idle but pilot and needle will bleed into the main. Get the bike sorted to 1/2 throttle then work on the mains.

;)
Walms said:
Haha, you say that like its a bad thing! :)

It's bad when you have to buy 3 carbs instead of two ;) ;) ;)

How did you know I just blew $500 on carbs? :p

And now he tells me that. I have a set of three pristine TM32 flat slides that came with a GT750 project. All I need to do is to work out what I'm going to do with them. Maybe sell them to an H1 or 400 triple owner. ;-)

I'm sure you'd get a taker! I opted for PWK's just because I already have all the brass I need.
I was looking at the TM's but I feared they would have an interference with the case because of my reeds.

Re: Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

Walms said:
I'm sure you'd get a taker! I opted for PWK's just because I already have all the brass I need.
I was looking at the TM's but I feared they would have an interference with the case because of my reeds.

I'm a really big fan of the Pwk series. I would use them on 4 strokes if I could.

I thought the PJ series were for the four strokes? I'm looking for a nice 38 PWK for my YZ250 project.
Cheers, 50gary

PJ's were standard issue on all the Honda CR's at one point.
Nice carb but no idle slide adjustment like the PWK's
A word of the wise if anyone is planning to use them on a multi cylinder bike though.
I bought 3 used ones and probably wouldn't again.
I had a colder cylinder temp on one and it would follow with the carb if I changed them around...
My theory is with a fixed needle jet, plus spending their previous life in dust, I believe that needle jet was worn slightly causing that condition.
Sorry for the high Jack John...

No problem! I got nothing going on right now anyway, no time to work on the bike ;)

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (New Video)

I got a little time to spend on the bike today ;) I disconnected the overflow tubes that go from the carb to the catch can as suggested by Mobius, seems a little better. I only had time to ride up and down my street a couple of times (2nd gear) but it did seem to be improved.

Here is a short vid this time without all the smoke ;) Still getting a bit of smoke from the right side though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p8GTQr2kE4

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (New Video)

Don't know if its just my phone but I can't see a video.

My Suzi T500 Project (New Video)

It seems to be hanging on to the rpm when you let off the throttle... an Air leak or too lean maybe?

Back
Top Bottom