KZ440 LTD Build - Frame is now cut -

Re: KZ440 LTD Build

I cut and relocated the tank mounts lower and a tad closer to the frame. As for the carbs, the powder it has resistant. I shouldn't have any issues(hopefully). Time will tell though. I'm already second guessing this tank. Only because it has a crossover feed line that's a real pita.

Re: KZ440 LTD Build

Cleaned the frame up a bit more in preparation for the new tail section and suspension. I forgot how much I love those flappy sand discs for the angle grinder....

I was pleased when I cut the tail off to see that the frame didn't need any patch plates to cover holes and junk. Up until I grinded this down on the one side...

Kz440 by K.Osborn, on Flickr

Looks as though over the years the back half must have let water puddle down on this area. It left this pretty little hole...

Don't worry about that little guy.

I still need to smooth out the grind marks more but it's not far off from being ready to weld on.

None. I've been busy doing absolutely nothing. I Think my motivation will come back in about 3 weeks. Tends to around this time of year haha. The push to finish.

I just got mine running and will be ready for rockers. Maybe this will help with motivation on what can be done to a 70's kz. I like what you've done. Hope you get it wrapped up soon.

Attachments

• 20150220_134249.jpg
    20150220_134249.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 368
  • 20150220_134338.jpg
    20150220_134338.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 348
  • 20150220_134358.jpg
    20150220_134358.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 374
Thanks, I've heard your story. Glad you got it back and all that jazz. Mine is on hold until the next house. I've got a good collection of parts though to get it pretty well finished though.

I taped shit together so it sort of looks like something. It's silly. Very silly, much like that dude who is now a chick or some junk.

Really though the lines will be similar, probably putting my spare USD gsxr front I have laying around on it... possibly. I don't know, this project changes course based on my mood when I walk out to the garage. Regardless I'm still not doing any real work and wont until we move into the new house.

Untitled by Keith Osborn, on Flickr

It's so ugly. It may just need completely modernized and made into an awesome city tracker....bleh

-KO

Hello Tifun, I registered to this forum just to say that you are doing an awesome job with your LTD! Two months ago I bounght a 1982 LTD in bad contitions and I'm working on it to ride it this summer, but I'm looking every day in the internet to find some kind of solution to the seat problem that you almost defeated... I think that your bike will be so nice (I don't like so much the mono suspension on classic bikes, but il will be nice to see how your bike will look with that solution!).
So, my friend, keep up the good work you started, you're the only one I saw that has the possibility of saving the LTD from uglyness! ;D

Thanks Travis. It will eventually get there.

We just sold our house and have an accepted offer on a new one. In the next month this project should really start seeing new light. My buddy Mike redid my carbs. New hardware throughout minus linkage because it still has a good zinc coating, texture powdered bodies, gloss rack work, all new guts, cleaned, cleaned some more, more cleaning and then he cleaned them. Shit is minty fresh and I couldn't be happier with the work. The worst part about the pics is that they look way better in person

-Keith

Here's some pics of them all finished up :)

KZ440 carb rebuild restore by Keith Osborn, on Flickr

An hour of boredom led me to trying this front on and get an idea what I will need to do. Looks like I may need to swap stems. I need to take the front off and get a few measurements.

Also, the lighting sucks ASS. I took my good lights down to sell my house and it freakin blows. At least I get to take them with me haha.

-KO

KZ440 USD Forks by Keith Osborn, on Flickr

KZ440 USD Forks by Keith Osborn, on Flickr

Nice job, even for the carbs! I cleaned mine two weeks ago and I know what a real pita is that operation... They look very nice dressed in black! ;) Are them painted or anodized?

TravisBarker1982 said:
Nice job, even for the carbs! I cleaned mine two weeks ago and I know what a real pita is that operation... They look very nice dressed in black! ;) Are them painted or anodized?

It's a mixture of textured black and gloss black powder coat.

Anodize would be a really bad choice. There are too many variable that could go wrong with the body. When you dip the bodies you'll run into tolerance issues with the Jets and such due to the aluminum. Additionally anodize as a whole has UV issues, especially blacks and often turn purple. Heat cycles will also show color fades and changes. Anodize will also show any surface blemishes considerably more so than raw, polished or coated. I work in the medical world and we anodize rough 75% of our products. Aside from bright popping colors it's not as durable as you would think. :)

Keith

Hello Tifun! Is it there any updates?

Yes, I was curious to understand the effects of anodyzing process on a carb body, and my first thought was right; it's not a good idea. Few months ago I went to a company and they told me that their process to obtain the black oxide takes 4μm in aluminium erosion and 16μm of deposit, so the fuel and air passings will be a little compromised, but I didn't imagine how the difference could have been felt.

This looks fun! I'll have to read back through the whole thing before I start asking dumb questions. Those carbs are fancy man. Hopefully they work as good as they look ;) I HATED the stock CV carbs on my KZ400. Ended up going to a 2-1 intake and VM32. LOVED it.

I had a do a stem swap on the front end I just put on my 850. What a pain in the a$$!

Sadly I've lost all motivation to work on this bike which has never been very much haha. I've got my CT70 build about to start and another CB550 that I would much rather build than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:'( :'( :'(

noooooo!!! Project was starting to take the best shape for this bike that no one have tried before... It's a sad news! Please keep us updated if you find the time to get back on this LTD.

Good luck for your next bikes!

We will see what will happen. I've pulled it off the lift and tucked it into the corner. I may part it, keeps it or repurpose it for something completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom