'74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build! (the beginning)

Looking great, attention to detail, cleanliness and proper torque values are key.

Be sure to flood oil passages w cleaner and double check to make certain they are clear and clean.

also clear passages through jugs, and especially the head to feed the cam journals.

BTW if youre looking for a good caring home for starter and parts that go w it. Ill pay to ship them my way.

11494-180515061857.jpeg

@trek - will do. I've checked them a couple times but will definitely blast some carb cleaner through there before I finish reassembly.

No problem on the starter. Just give me a few weeks until I get this thing up and running again before I ditch the starter completely

'74 CB 360 Cafe Build! (the beginning)

When installing hard gaskets, such as at cylinder barrels to crankcase, is it advised to put a thin layer of hondabond or gasket activator down before installing the gasket, or do yall usually install them dry?

I've been meaning to ask - does anyone have a source for throttle cables? I've been looking in to grabbing a pair of these and making them to the length I need. I have a new throttle body that already has the curved housing build in (the OEM cables have the metal bit at the beginning to complete the curve).

Are these a good bet? http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/universal-motorcycle-throttle-cable.html

adventurco said:
When installing hard gaskets, such as at cylinder barrels to crankcase, is it advised to put a thin layer of hondabond or gasket activator down before installing the gasket, or do yall usually install them dry?

I've been meaning to ask - does anyone have a source for throttle cables? I've been looking in to grabbing a pair of these and making them to the length I need. I have a new throttle body that already has the curved housing build in (the OEM cables have the metal bit at the beginning to complete the curve).

Are these a good bet? http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/universal-motorcycle-throttle-cable.html

Gasket surfaces...bone dry. Im mean scrubbed clean w acetone...kinda dry.

The only gasket I put anything on is the stator cover. I just smear thinnest coat of anti-seize on it. BTW my stator gasket is home made from a manilla file folder. Its been on and off more times than I care to count, never leaked a drop. Cheap and easy to make. ;)

I believe I just used stock 360 cable from DCC for my throttle. Kinda gotta tuck the little bit of extra loop in somewhere around headlight. But works fine.

Also, when installing head cover. Use Hondabond or the stuff from sparckmoto.com. They are machined surfaces so apply a very very thin and even layer w a brush. You dont want much of a bead squeezing inside the head or around cam bearings and clogging stuff up.

On assembly put some oil or assembly lube on all new rubber oil seals. if these are installed dry the rotating parts can cause enough friction, (before oil gets to it) to burn the sealing edge and it will leak. example...(TACH CABLE SEAL) I forgot to lube mine and it soon started leaking oil all over the front of my engine. ::)

Yeah have to agree any cover you plan on taking off when you need to service the bike, grease or antiseize one side of the gasket. Makes oil changes much easier.

Thanks trek. I applied a thin layer of oil around all oil seals while assembling.

Current problem: I mistakenly popped one of the pins out of the cam chain to remove it, rather than keeping it together and removing the camshaft. As far as I can tell, the mushroomed ends of the pin will not allow for reinstallation. I have the jugs on but wanted to get the chain back together before installing the head.

Can I reuse this cam chain with removed pin? Or will reinstalling (if even possible) cause a weak spot at said link? Should I just suck t up and buy a new cam chain? Can I even replace it with the cases sealed?

The cam chain for the 360 is meant to be endless, but I know of some that have used a master link. The crank needs to be removed if you go with an endless chain. You can keep the crank in place if you use a master link, but you'll almost definitely need to split the cases and expose the bottom end. You can turn the engine upside down for this portion and keep the transmission all in place.

I replaced mine w a cb750 heavy duty chain. It has flat sides unlike stock. "They" say flat side chain doesnt wear slides as quickly. Its a couple links too long so it needs to be shortened. But, it is correct fit for stock 360 sprockets.

With the 750 chain you have to peen the pins to hold it together permanently as there is no masterlink. I figured this would be easier said than done. So I purchased a couple extra "master" links, and I used them all. Before I got a good fit on the last one. 8)

I would NOT try to re-use an old chain thats been broke apart. And yes you will have to split cases and remove crankshaft to install. :p

Heres the pic of my successful peen job. Once peened that link should move as freely as the rest. So, becareful not to go too much or it will bind and pinch the link.

Rookie mistake on my part :X

Will be sourcing a new cam chain. Bike only had 9k but it'll give me some peace of mind with a new one in there.

Looks like I'll be splitting the cases again. Practice makes perfect? There snap ring on the end of the kickstart mechanism was a bit worn, so I'll be replacing that while I'm back in there. (Probably for the best, that little guy was in the back of my mind from the start).

Waiting on a bunch of o-rings from theoringstore.com, grabbed about 10 rings for the oil filter (2.0mm x 41mm) and some for the stator cover. Factory o-ring size for the stator screws is 2.5mm x 4.9, but they only carry 4.6 and 5.0 ID. Grabbed a few of each, cuz they're so cheap.

adventurco said:
Sealed the cases this morning, reinstalled the oil pump, pickup, clutch and idler gear. Couldn't find the updated oil pickup so I'll just be keeping a close eye on the oil for now until one comes up on eBay. Fitted HD clutch springs courtesy of bore-tech, keeping OEM friction plates and discs until I burn them out.

I'm deleting the electric start (save your flames, I know it's a "stupid" mod), and I've removed both of the starter gears and the starter clutch. I've seen the alternator rotor milled or filed down to "balance" it once removing the clutch. Is this absolutely necessary or is it acceptable to reinstall the rotor without removing the mounting tabs for the clutch? Is there a noticeable imbalance when the motor is running?

92bf005b6d4c2b48a4aaaf360742064e.jpg

-N

I turned the rotor just because I could not to balance anything.
The weight reduction is minimal ;) (no idea if it sheds oil quicker though?)
I've since done a couple more for me and one for a buddy
CB360modifiedgeneratorrotor.jpg

I'm making a few extra lightweight starter block off plugs this week (usually around 1.20 oz with screws, washers and 'O' ring 8) )
CB360starterblockoff.jpg

It does look nicer turned though...

Lots of painting yesterday, wheels, headlight bucket, random small parts. Repainted the head since the painted chipped to all hell when I started sanding the fins

I used VHT engine enamel, it went on nice and seems quite strong after curing, but spraying in the fins was a pain in the ass. Next time I'll try brush on POR 15, I think it'll be a bit more work but may come out with a more consistent coating.

Mocked up a bunch of rear set mounts designs, will be hitting the water jet this afternoon

076fef33c8fb3857ec04210c65da565e.jpg

c49f80462586cd3b7bfc5fb3b0cb8a33.jpg

I went with a scaled down version of the second, removes some of the vertical supports. Hoping to cut two different designs, using some steel plate left over from work. Pics later.

Edit: still working on filling in the emblem mounts and smoothing out my tank dents. Don't worry that's not the finished product . Using west system epoxy filler.

"Broke the mirrors off his Cadillac because he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

And how the hell do you get the retaining ring off the rear hub?! I searched all over the forum for some secret. Drilled out the punch marks but that thing won't budge. Tried the flat bar with drill bits trick but I kept breaking all my drill bits. Going to grab an adjustable spanner wrench from harbor freight and hopefully I can budge it with that.

"Broke the mirrors off his Cadillac because he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

You need to drill the punch /swage marks 3/16" dia at least 3/16" deep.
Should unscrew quity easy

Gotcha, was a bit nervous to drill too deep.

Back from my uncles shop with some freshly cut parts:

Couple of sets of rearset mounts
e8326636552113bae8503523ab46ebe3.jpg

Electronics pan base (not too exciting yet)
55f5db45f2314b56249818812233351a.jpg

And a LIGHTER front disc
f2e278cb0346c324e24455e3261d7cb3.jpg

Edit: Overall shop shot for reference :#
11db6122af69e7ea607911283b3889dd.jpg

Reopened the crankcase today. Glad I did though, just heard a horror story of another 360 owner that had the interior end snap ring on the kickstart give while riding. Ordered a pack of 100 for about $8, damn bulk vendors!

Free snap rings for everyone!

The one on Bromz 360 broke. Shortly after he rebuilt his had it buttoned up, running & riding. Talk about starting from scratch. Ugh.

adventurco said:

If you find the tarozzi pegs to be a little short. I had crazypj turn me some extensions that fit in the end to make em wider to better fit my riding boots. (where your thumb is at in pic) The measurements I sent him were about 2 thousands larger than the hole. I froze them in the freezer and warmed the pegs w heatgun. smacked them in w rubber mallet. They have been on for 2 seasons or so and still rock solid. He offered to cut grooves to match to rubber. I shouldve taken him up on that. whatevs

Looks solid. Imagine I'll have a similar problem, but we'll see once I get her out on the road.

Like I said, I was going to forget about the snap ring but glad I had to do the camchain as an excuse to get back in there and replace it. It was loose enough to spin in the groove.

I've heard of people swapping out to the kick mechanism for the CJ which has a bolt and flat washer that fit into the end of shaft which is threaded...seems like a tidier design to me.

Back
Top Bottom