Another build thread? Why the fuck not! KZ650 daily driver build.

gunson colortune is awesome. takes the guess work out. i use it on every carbureted machine i own.

I feel your pain on the throttle cables, i just did the same dance on my kz twin. took a few tries to find the right cables. you can always have motion pro make you custom cables. think its like $40 a pop. I had to do that on a bike where i couldn't find any other options for cables.

doc_rot said:
its been a while since i read up on it, i forgot to mention you have to either bore or dremel out the upper case to accept the 750 liners, but other than that plug and play. bunch of good info here> http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=1287.0

Tried to register for the forum (cant see anything on there without registration), seems they have shut down registration... thats pretty lame

JSJamboree said:
Tried to register for the forum (cant see anything on there without registration), seems they have shut down registration... thats pretty lame

I have run into that before. Seems they open it back up now and then....yeah, pretty lame and a shame. There is good info on that site.

apparently the site was under attack so they closed down public registration. If anybody would like to join PM your email address and i will give it to the admins over there.

doc_rot said:
apparently the site was under attack so they closed down public registration. If anybody would like to join PM your email address and i will give it to the admins over there.

Interesting, I understand internet threats. I'm curious how shutting down registration helps if you already moderate new accounts. I wonder how Tim deals with this issue?

doc_rot said:

Easy way to kill a forum, ive been there... Also, sent you a PM

canyoncarver said:
Interesting, I understand internet threats. I'm curious how shutting down registration helps if you already moderate new accounts. I wonder how Tim deals with this issue?

I was going to say they may be on some old non supported board software and the bots have figured out how to beat the older capcha... But looks like their version came out this year... so its likely they just don't have some stuff implemented.

JSJamboree said:
Easy way to kill a forum, ive been there... Also, sent you a PM

I was going to say they may be on some old non supported board software and the bots have figured out how to beat the older capcha... But looks like their version came out this year... so its likely they just don't have some stuff implemented.

It's a good point. I've noticed that problem on numerous boards out there.

irk miller said:
Are we talking about DoS attacks?

Not in this case. More like the automated account hijacking/spamming, etc.. kind of attacks. A DoS is the kind of attack that would likely make the whole site unavailable unless your hosting provider protected against it, most do not.

JSJamboree said:
Well I got my new stock cables only to find out the ones that were on the bike with the mini apes were also the stock length. So they are all way to long. The clutch cable uses a standard end on the perch so I can likely just shorten the cable there myself. However the throttle are all specialty ends, so im going to have to check length on those 1000 cables and see if they are better. Right now its taking a really bad path in order to take up all the extra and its not as smooth as its needs to be.

You inspired me to try shortening the clutch cable on my kz750 for a better fit. only took off 2" but it is much better. IIRC the kz650 clutch cable has the same type of end. it was pretty easy. i cut the cable sheath with a abrasive cut off wheel and then hit the fitting with a blow torch to melt the plastic and it pulled right off. I used a tapered drift to open the fitting back up. I had some 1/4". 065" wall stainless tube laying around so i drilled a hole in that and then slotted one side so I could pull the cable apart and then packed it with JB weld. seems to work pretty well. time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 307
I use a similar method to shorten cables, but I use a solder pot with 50/50 and flux. I've shortened 10+ cables without any issues at all. Its important to make sure the cable strands are clean and splayed properly, but other than that its a pretty straightforward task.

doc_rot said:
You inspired me to try shortening the clutch cable on my kz750 for a better fit. only took off 2" but it is much better. IIRC the kz650 clutch cable has the same type of end. it was pretty easy. i cut the cable sheath with a abrasive cut off wheel and then hit the fitting with a blow torch to melt the plastic and it pulled right off. I used a tapered drift to open the fitting back up. I had some 1/4". 065" wall stainless tube laying around so i drilled a hole in that and then slotted one side so I could pull the cable apart and then packed it with JB weld. seems to work pretty well. time will tell.

I didn't succeed when I tried on my RD, but I'm going to try again. Got some new 50/50 non resin solder. Used part of my DCC gift card on some motion pro cable ends so it can be all fancy and shit. We will see how it ends up. Winter finally got here in Indiana so the wife demanded her parking spot in the garage back. Have to much shit on my side to have any room to do much work. Hopefully it warms up soon so I can get back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the front end squared away. Cut the clutch cable down, the pull way to long already so figured i would go all out. Used a solder pot and it turned out killer. New stainless brake line up top, and re routed the throttle. Suppose to rain tomorrow and I would fire it up and take it for a spin.

There is some air stuck in the brake line now. Need to try bleeding it some more not sure why it's not worked out yet. Might be stuck in the sensor?

Attachments

• IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 287
Nice. I need to try the cable shortening trick. I'm looking forward to you getting this to be a rider. You said new line up top, are the lowers new too?

canyoncarver said:
Nice. I need to try the cable shortening trick. I'm looking forward to you getting this to be a rider. You said new line up top, are the lowers new too?

No the lower is still rubber for now. It'll get changed over soon but the top was about 6" to long so it had to first.

Bought a 3 phase reg/rec but I'm thinking now that's now what this bike is suppose to have... Anyone know for sure? There are three yellows coming off the stator, but also a green wire that looks to be an independent out that goes direct to the reg.

I think if there are three yellow wires it is 3 phase, the green wire is the sensor input for the regulator?

Back
Top Bottom