1976 Honda CB360T - Build Thread (Update 10/1 S2000 START BUTTON AND VIDEO!!!)

Re: 1976 Honda CB360T - Purchase story and eventual build thread!

You're tall. the 2-3" in drop with a thinner seat will benefit you. Do the geometry in your head. You would have all your weight on your arms..

mattfeet said:
btw - what are people's thoughts running rearsets and drag/clubman bars with the stock seat? Will it be uncomfortable?

Id prefer to have some of my weight on the seat and not all on my arms. Still recovering from shoulder surgery. :/

-Matt

Oh snap!

IMAG0920_zps0a047030.jpg

Got my helmet and jacket. HJC CL-16 and Corazzo 5.0.

Got my shorty signals in the mail. Only had time to do the rears.

IMAG0924_zps97326fbc.jpg

IMAG0925_zps8a9bc0f8.jpg

IMAG0926_zps020041e1.jpg

Now I just need to do something about that taillight.

-Matt

Scored some nice side covers off eBay. However, they don't look like the right color. The bike is a '76 and the side covers looks like they are the color of the '75's. The covers seemingly are much more teal than the tank is. Pretty disappointing, IMO.

Thoughts?

This one matches closer than the other.
IMAG0938_zps787e5389.jpg

This is the angle that shows the mis-match the most:
IMAG0937_zps8362168b.jpg

IMAG0936_zps3ad7e913.jpg

Here, along with the ONE dent, you can see a slight color variance:
IMAG0935_zps7e3b26e0.jpg

Turns out they ARE from a '76 model. Im going to wetsand the covers, polish, wax, and seal them this weekend. Hopefully that helps restore their actual color.

-Matt

i wouldn't even wetsand i would just rub em hard with some good compound that stuff works wonders

Wetsanding isn't a big deal...I do it all the time for professional paint restoration on cars. :)

-Matt

Ive since read numerous accounts where the side covers don't match the tank. If you look back on page 1, the bike came with black side covers. Im tempted to just repaint them gloss black, grab the new emblems, and rock it that way. IMO, if the side covers don't EXACTLY match, it won't look right...so why not just do black and be done with it.

Blue
IMAG0938_zps787e5389.jpg

Black
IMAG0906_zpseddab6b8.jpg

Im not sure which I like better.

Id say loose the side covers, re do the wiring and relocate the battery and stop being a baby about some extra fancy shit Nancy!

I noticed a small oil leak this afternoon. Any idea what's going on? It seems to be coming from under the two bolts at the top of the head.

IMAG0944_zpse542ad57.jpg

Slightly wet between the two cases.
IMAG0945_zps9244f3bb.jpg

The worst of it looks to be coming out from under these bolts:
IMAG0946_zps78d98a5e.jpg

Thoughts?

-Matt

Ok, looks like those are the "tappet hole caps" from what I've found in the Clymer's. Why would oil be coming out of them?

Yes. your tappet covers are broken. There is supposed to be aluminum covering the o-ring.

I replaced all four of mine. When over tightened, the part that contains the o-ring comes off.

See First Picture
I bought new ones pretty cheap....
See Second Picture

I am busy, I'll find the vendor and send it to you...They were E-Bay $27.99 New. Cheaper then the used ones go for.

Attachments

• Marked up tappet cover small.jpg
    Marked up tappet cover small.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 397
  • New Tappet covers.jpg
    New Tappet covers.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 391

Would it be safe to lightly ride like this for an hour or so until I get this fixed?

btw, thanks SO much for the info. I knew you'd know! :D

-Matt

Bought 4 new OEM Honda chrome tappet covers with new gaskets.

-Matt

I broke out the CB for the first time yesterday for some parking lot riding.
Once the engine was warmed up, there were a few issues Im semi-concerned about:
1) The choke HAS to stay on. Even after warming up for 30 min, if I flip it down, it shuts off.
2) There is white smoke coming out of the RT tailpipe. Not a lot, but definitely visible. The left side is clear as can be. There is no loss in power, sputtering, etc.
3) There seems to be some oil coming out of the breather tube. Im not sure if that's normal, but figured I'd post it up and see what the collective brain trust has to say.

1976 Honda CB360T - Purchase story and eventual build thread!

Look at my previous picture of the engine. The choke is off. Lever pointing down.

My bike will not run with the choke on. Start yes, but only cold.

So is the choke lever horizontal? Or vertical like my picture shows?

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

Ill verify everything today at some point. The weather here sucks, but I'll give it a go.

I received my new tappet covers in the mail yesterday. Ill put those all on once it warms up a bit. I'll probably go ahead and change the oil as well.

Ok, so I bought that old Honda. The paint on the tank is in fantastic condition (save for that one dent). Now, I also recently bought some side covers in the correct matching color. However, they're faded and don't match well:

IMAG0937_zps8362168b.jpg

The sidecovers faded to a teal-ish color and don't match the tank anymore. This irks me bad. I have a buddy who works at an auto-body shop who is willing to repaint all painted parts for $150.00. The only issue is, the paint-code is old and he cannot get an exact match, which means the sidecovers may not be *quite* right if I were to do them alone. My conundrum is:

1.) Do I leave it as-is, pocket $150.00, and be ok with how it is
2.) Paint just the sidecovers
3.) Paint the entire bike the closest match of blue that we can find
4.) Paint the entire bike new formula red (same color as my S2000)

#4 was my original intention on the old bike since it was in awful shape anyways. However, the new bike is MINT, and Im having a hard time changing colors to something different from original. The bike would look sick either color, the red would be my preference, but I also like the idea of a mint (nearly all) original bike.

Red cafe'd Honda for reference:
honda_cb400f_cafe-racer.jpg

^I would also paint the headlight bucket and stub the front fender like that bike, regardless of paint color.

Hrmph.

Back
Top Bottom