fucking winter!

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
So we went to the in-laws for the weekend and came home. Left it was fall, it was raining when we left for home, half way it turned to slush. Arrived home to 12" or more of snow. No power and two trees down one right across the stairs. Fuck. Then The new to us crv has VSA which is an acronym for can't fucking drive up a driveway even after snow blower out.we put winter tires on Sat morning and the tpms came on, OK I'll figure it out later. Well arrive home and have to get up the driveway. Turn vsa off, but it won't turn off, read manual in. Blizzard and find out if tpms is lit can't turn vsa off so car becomes useless. So find flashlight,pull fuses and get up the driveway. Dealer that put the tires on will get a piece of my mind and the genius Honda engineer that has never seen snow will get a swift kick in the nuts. Anyway riding season is done here thank god I have some beer.

Attachments

• IMG_20141102_201720621.jpg
    IMG_20141102_201720621.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 193
Steady. Read about it and pretty sure the geniuses at Honda mounted the tires without monitors. They will be fixing that tomorrow.

If there were no sensors, likely the light would flash a DTC. On stead usually indicates 'low tire' sometimes after flashing for a while the light will go steady. Honda uses screw in type TPMS sensors. Look at the valve stems. Are they rubber? Or are they a hex head screw on?

Sucks about the snow. We got the same system here on the Rock but it was all rain, still raining actually. Hope that snow doesn't last long for you.

Sent from my Studio XPS 435MT using Tapatalk

rusche said:
If there were no sensors, likely the light would flash a DTC. On stead usually indicates 'low tire' sometimes after flashing for a while the light will go steady. Honda uses screw in type TPMS sensors. Look at the valve stems. Are they rubber? Or are they a hex head screw on?
thanks. There are 2 lights. The one on steady means system malfunction the one with the tire and ! Is for pressure. It does have hex stems so something else must be off. I checked pressure and all 4 tires were and still are 30 psi cold.

Perry it was rain an hours south of us but snow here. No power in most of town and if we didnt have the fireplace we'd be froze.

I feel ya, bro. The earliest snow in Columbia, SC 60 miles away in 125 years of recorded history. I turned the furnace on and pulled out the propane heaters for the shops more than a month early. I hope this isn't a harbinger of what's to come this winter. And man, what the hell kind of ritual do you have to perform to have good luck with a car?

I have no Idea but the dealer is going to get a blast from me when they open back up lol.

Move south. Even the "hard" winters here in Georgia are a joke compared to what y'all experience every year. Hell, I usually even get a couple of days in January and February warm enough that I can go for a ride.

f899f840b4e7e3e03b2d0ef43ef8be38.jpg

This is from right now in Alberta maritime, so I feel your pain. On the car front, we have a 98 crv and 2013 RAV4 both of which go through just about anything so there is definitely something funky going on with yours.

ABCanuck said:
f899f840b4e7e3e03b2d0ef43ef8be38.jpg

This is from right now in Alberta maritime, so I feel your pain. On the car front, we have a 98 crv and 2013 RAV4 both of which go through just about anything so there is definitely something funky going on with yours.
Aaaah, so this is why my grandparents left Alberta.

Went to Honda, they "Forgot" to mention I needed to have them reset the sensor system when the tires get swapped. WTF they are the same size tires, on factory Honda wheels with OEM sensors. I got the tires mounted on second wheels to not have to go pay them to swap them. I bought a Honda to prevent stupid shit like this. They couldn't squeeze me in today but they are putting the hitch on tomorrow and will fix it. So now i need to make a special trip to the dealer every spring and fall. Honda has gotten as bad as fucking chevy or ford. To add insult to injury I was on my way from my bosses house, where he let my wife and I get a shower because we still have no power, so no water, and I left my multy tool at home, got stuck in the honda lot because I stupidly put the VSA fuse back in, so I had to go borrow pliers to get the fuse out just to get moving again, because unlike every other honda I have owned, they don't put a fuse puller in the panel anymore and the one under the hood has different fuses and won't work in the cab?? What kind of asshole designs these systems and thinks it is a good idea? Obviously some idiot who has never seen snow in his life. I have been driving in snow for 25 years, and never had a car act like this CRV, it literally shuts down and you can't move until you disable the system, actually, I did have to drive a neighbors ford mini van that did the same thing and had no button to turn it off, I thought that was bad, now I own a car just like it. Man no wonder I like old bikes. No dumb ass computers to think for you.

Ha, I am done the ranting now. LOL , I am going to just live with the TPMS light on the winter tires. I had some time to Google and from what I found, I am not the only one who has this problem. The solution is to pay $$$ every time you swap wheels and have the system re-programmed, or live with the light, and pull the fuse when you need too, or do like I will and add a switch for 10 bucks to the dash you flick to cut the signal at the fuse for the 5-10 mins you need then flick it back and carry on. It just blew me away that Honda, who has good engineering would use a system that cannot easily be learned when a new sensor is in place. You need to be raped at the dealer, and that was never a normal experience for me with all the other Hondas I have owned. They always just worked. I mean I can re-set the oil change light, why not the TPMS. Oh well. other then that the car was great on the 6 hour round trip to and from the in-laws.

Seems like a good solution. As far as dealers go, it's nasty isn't it. Some punk kids knocked the mirror off my civic years ago at 2am with a skateboard. Electric mirror from the dealer, 450 bucks, touch over 600 installed. Exact same thing from a great body shop in lethbridge (there for school at the time) 70 bucks, 160 installed. Go figure. It certainly didn't get dropped off at Honda that time.

Yep, put the switch in last night took me a half hour to solder some connections, make a mount and 2 face tape it under the dash in an easy spot to reach, but not in plain site. Told the dealer, leave the light because I won't pay them to reprogram 2 times a year. I'll live with the light for 4 months and use my switch. Found about 50 posts from Canadians who all did that mod. I wired in a fuse as well so there is still a 7.5 amp fuse in the circuit. cost me about 10 bucks.

Holy Shit!
What the Hell is all that white stuff on the ground?!

Winter is kickin in down here too.
Most days it won't get out of the 70's.

IMG_5048_zps80d26108.png

Back
Top Bottom