Old... Van... Dying... Need Some New Bike-Friendly Wheels

Killman77

当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
Our poor old Dodge Caravan is about to go off to that mini-mall in the sky. Too bad, it was actually a great vehicle for us. Means I can get something a little more conducive to hauling bikes, though.

Looking for something not evil on gas, with a low enough bed, or high enough headroom to easily run a bike into. I know, I can put a trailer-hitch on damn near anything, just rather have the option to grab something on the spot if I get caught without a trailer. And I'm well past the days when I thought that running an 800 pound bike up a 45 degree set of rungs was a fun way to spend my morning.

Not looking to get hung up with financing, so new isn't a requirement. I'd love to get my hands on a Camino, Ranchero, or old Jeep pick-up, although mileage and spendiness probably aren't the best with those, but I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a decent euro-style cargo van, either.

What have you guys got, or had, that you are/were happy with? Any ideas, suggestions, advice, preferences?

Thanks

Subaru forester/ outback bikes fit with shoe horns.....im getting a trailer hitch for it tho....because i usually know something will be coming back....but if its on the side of the road etc you can still grab it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
Also be careful not to smash out the rear side window....unless you have glass coverage.....i didnt so now I have the tools to replace the side glass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 194
You know, Desmo? I actually think the Outbacks are great vehicles, but I'm looking for something I can actually wheel a bike into/onto. Assuming the wheels are attached, that is.

How long have you had yours? Decent mileage, any probs., besides exploding windows?

How about a small pickup?
My Ranger has a 2.3 w/5 speed. It's a little under powered.
(I have parts in the works to alleviate that problem.)
The different makes do have cab and power train options.

Attachments

• securedownload-70.jpeg
    securedownload-70.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 252
I use my scion xB, but you can't just wheel them in.

My wife has a Honda Odyssey, which does allow easy loading of motorbikes.

When I replace the Scion, I am seriously considering the Ford Transit.

JustinLonghorn said:
When I replace the Scion, I am seriously considering the Ford Transit.
Me too. A buddy has one that is set up like a family vehicle with all of the seating. They're really nice.

Ive had this one for about 2 years shes a 99 with 230,000 i had an 01 legacy with 262,000 prior ( that i still rob parts off of 2 years after it was totaled still runs and drives)....only thing i dont like is its not ideal on gas ( better than a truck) ...but as for wheeling a bike right in i hear an astro van is the way to go

There are 2 small vans that are popular with vintage racers - Ford Aerostar and Chevy Astro.

Both will swallow bikes whole and let you close the rear doors. They're proper trucks with chassis - one of the reasons they're popular.

The Chevy is aging well IMHO into a classic looking van.

12868125.jpg

Ribo said:
I think Brad's van's for sale...

y2uu80y17kfptmvpvywb.jpg

Haha! Nice! :D

Pick-ups are great, but I'd 'second' the Astro/Safari vans. I had one for a while. It was really great for all around use. A little piggish on fuel, but other than that and a HUGE turning circle :eek: it was near perfect. It even fits in underground parking garages. :)

Tim said:
There are 2 small vans that are popular with vintage racers - Ford Aerostar and Chevy Astro.

Both will swallow bikes whole and let you close the rear doors. They're proper trucks with chassis - one of the reasons they're popular.

The Chevy is aging well IMHO into a classic looking van.
+1 to a Safari or Astro.

It's getting harder to get a low mileage, AWD SAFARI or ASTRO, but they make great bike transport that doubles as a family van, if/when you have to. Ours became non viable at around 275,000 miles. I miss that van and I hate vans.....

jsharpphoto said:
My next vehicle will be a ford flex

Fuck no! I had one as a rental for a week once and that thing is a piece of shit... not only do you have zero visibility when inside it eats gasoline and shakes over 60mph... I would recommend taking one for an extended test drive. Also there's no way you're getting a bike in the back..

jsharpphoto said:
You must have gotten a jacked one. I've driven one extensively. And have fit a bike in the back.

Well each to their own I guess. Do you not think the visibility is lacking? I guess i was used to a Jeep Grand Cherokee at the time.

Hemi Ram 4X4. I love my Ram. It's an 05 that I bought in 07. The only issues I'd say are the 20" rims and rake that makes loading a little difficult. I'm dropping my rear end with drop shackles to level it out which will make loading easier. I also bought a canvas topper from a company called Soft Topper to cover the bed, which allows you to get things out of the weather and to use for camping.

Back
Top Bottom