What's next? You know, after the classics

Redliner

Over 1,000 Posts
Consider fans of steam engines and defunct motorcycle brands like Indian and V.H.D. Now consider that you probably aren't particularly rolling in dolla dolla bills. How do you restore and maintain the bikes you love? Once you're past the point of being able to do so, where do you turn?

I think in our future we may turn to bikes from the 80's and 90's. I don't find anything wrong as far as performance and longevity with these eras, but they certainly weren't built to last.

The motors will run for a life time, but the plastics will fade, become brittle, chip, warp, and be lost.

Will fuel injection be easy to repair and maintain when parts are scarce? With carbs, you simply keep them clean and replace some rubber. If the tin Lizzy is any indication, the carbs can last a century due to the innate simplicity. Unfortunately, late carbs have more plastic and rubber parts...

What will "classic restoration" look like in a time when the 90's models are considered classics?

I'm ready to embrace modern bikes but I'll always have a need to spin a spanner...

I'd imagine people with reproduce the plastics with glass and carbon. Then again, you can pick a full set of brand new plastics up for the older sport bikes for a few hundred bucks now. The sport bikes of the mid and late 80's are becoming popular again in places. I don't see efi being an issue, unless they switch to something new in the future, and completely phase efi out.

70s era bikes are to well designed just to fade away.

Consider this. Hotrods that were first built in the 30s-50s are still being built today. A lot of these are from newer reproductions of the body stuck onto a new chassis.
I can see a CBR becoming a CB with the right shaped parts.
Even that boat you ride could become something "nicer" to look at with the right molded parts!

They won't fade away, but at the rate people are parting and scrapping them, they'll eventually be in short supply.

I've seen a handful of "Triton's" built with new frames, and new Triumph engines. Maybe that's what happens with the CB's and such in future years.

That is why the 70's hondas are so freaking great. They are made of lots of heavy metal parts, good chrome etc.

The 70's for honda was the sweet spot. They nailed the cafe styling without trying.

A huge factor for a cafe potential is whether or not the bike has a flat/ horizontal line made up of the tank and seat.

I feel like 80's+ or 90's bikes will never look good because they are more of a peanut style gas tank shape etc.

Attachments

• 2-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    2-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 533
  • 5-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    5-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 537
  • 7-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    7-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 512
  • 8-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    8-how-to-build-a-cafe-racer-625x416.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 520
Brodie said:
70s era bikes are to well designed just to fade away.

Consider this. Hotrods that were first built in the 30s-50s are still being built today. A lot of these are from newer reproductions of the body stuck onto a new chassis.
I can see a CBR becoming a CB with the right shaped parts.
Even that boat you ride could become something "nicer" to look at with the right molded parts!

Here's a "2000's" zrx done up to look like a "Seventies" z1:

Presto/chango.... "Retro-Modern" road machine. :D

80's/90's bikes will never look good? Google GPZ, my friend. The Ninja has almost never looked bad. The VFR, the CBR's, naked kawasaki fours...

The Honda Hurricane series.

Another of my personal faves. A good lookin' mid-80's GPZ900 Ninja!

80s were ok. here was my first bike
Honda%20VFR750F%2088%20%202.jpg

click back to the 60's though if you want repro-ability.
Honda horizontals come in zillions of knockoffs. think someone could stamp out a frame like this. bolt on some pitbike suspensions. and done.

kerkus_cycles.jpg

Put on a cheater 50cc barrel (88cc marked 49cc) and some states wont even need a license plate. just insurance.

xr50-crf50-all-z50r-1982-to-99-alloy-88cc-cylinder-kit-1-12-2-11-1-47-temp-out-of-stock-1.gif

Yep those horizontal Honda knockoffs are nuts. I have a 160cc "high output" engine jammed into a z50 frame and that bike scares the piss out of me. 65mph on 8 inch tyres is a hell of a lot of fun.

Drewski said:

That looks really mean with its modern MotoGP style tail and GPZee mini fairing. I like that. That I think is the future of performance bikes that are post sixties cafe look and post brat/copper/boober/40s hack job wannabe things that are the opposite of performance.

That Retro Mod (or RestoMod) look is wicked. The right blend of semi naked muscle bike in just enough clothes to update it.

He isn't know for retracting statements. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Back
Top Bottom