Latest project - Suzonda WTF200/2 in progress

Small steps......clutch actuating mechanism cleaned and the connecting rod straightened as well as the cover plate.

3GhklOr.jpg

Also, checked the kickstart mechanism, turns the engine over a treat :) The conrods/bigends appear to be good with absolute minimal lateral movement and no discernible wear on the big end. I'll change the small ends as they're straight forward and cheap.
The crank turns over cleanly using either conrod, I can't detect any resistance of roughness in the rotation.
I'm gonna replace the main bearings and crank seals as a matter of course.

Talking to a fella on Facebook who produces custom decals and stickers. Roughing out what I had in mind for the tank....70's style, in GSX-R colours.

LcQZY6i.jpg

The tank will be painted appliance white (to match the wheels) and the blues will be decals including a 3d Suzonda badge possibly?

beachcomber said:
That looks good ;)

Ha...shoulda gone to spec savers!

oftGR2b.jpg

This version has had a bit more time on it, but the general jist is there, which I think works with the shape of the tank and the 70's look I'm after, thank you.

Bought this last night....

U9BbYmb.jpg

..barrel with carb intakes for the price of intakes alone....gotta be worth having a spare barrel, right?

I've just been quoted £80 cash for a rebore to match my supplied pistons. Ebay offer pistons for circa £25 (£50 for a pair including little ends, rings and circlips).
I'll need to take the barrel there to determine the existing bore and then decide on the oversize required, source them and have it done.....bit better than PJME at £170 including pistons & VAT. £40 is a saving towards the budget.

Back in the 70's I really hated the sound of a bunch of two strokes together (even though I had an RD250, RD400, and Penton 125). They are so rare these days that I really miss their rasp.

pidjones said:
Back in the 70's I really hated the sound of a bunch of two strokes together (even though I had an RD250, RD400, and Penton 125). They are so rare these days that I really miss their rasp.

That's what I wanted in my life a bit of ringa dingding, the Microns should help in that dept...:)

Happy I am.

A mate came good on a HPI check on the frame number and I now have the reg number GFC***S so I can gain a V5 in my name....yay! :D

Part of the enjoyment of a project is the parts chasing. I spotted a reduced SB200 barrel on ebay. The price £30 was nearly the same as the carb inlets go for £25...so what the hell?

Turned up on time and in better order than I expected and inlets attached, so quids in :)

eviYPkO.jpg

I've got the inlets and the bores are in better shape than mine, so a quick hone, measure for new pistons or rings and it'll be good to go :)

Measure the bores for roundness and if in spec you are gold! Wish I could find and old Yamaha 2 cyl 2 stroke for the next build.

I found a local one-man shop that reground the valve seats (total eight) for my GL1000 in 10 minutes for 10 dollars US. Walked in, asked if he could do it and work it in, he asked if I had them with me, I went to the truck and brought them in (might have helped that they were sparkly clean). He refused any more. Even reground an old intake and exhaust valve to check the seal.

pidjones said:
Measure the bores for roundness and if in spec you are gold! Wish I could find and old Yamaha 2 cyl 2 stroke for the next build.

I found a local one-man shop that reground the valve seats (total eight) for my GL1000 in 10 minutes for 10 dollars US. Walked in, asked if he could do it and work it in, he asked if I had them with me, I went to the truck and brought them in (might have helped that they were sparkly clean). He refused any more. Even reground an old intake and exhaust valve to check the seal.

Good old boys are hard to find, nice one.

I chanced upon this 200 twin on a motorcycle Facebook group, found a good few other items that way, rather than venturing into the murky depths of fleabay and it rogues.

CB200 tank in good nick with chrome gas cap and trim £60.
Micron expansion chamber exhausts in good nick (needing a clean) with barrel clamps £80

Thanks for checking in

Honing kit incoming.....

fn0wc0L.jpg

I didn't buy the £8 kit as I thought this one might work better and last longer...anyone with experience?

My bargin barrel (as it's now known) looked nasty in the images, but that was protective wax, it cleaned up a bloody treat, better than my existing one. Possibly get away with a thorough honing instead of a rebore, which would be a complete result.

Loom incoming...

Zn95A7g.jpg

Ebay 'best offer' £26 delivered. Can't complain.

Thought it might come in handy at some point :)

Boring post I know, but as I'm documenting the process this is required...thanks for putting up with it....interesting stuff will happen, I promise heheh.

NoRiders said:
Bought this last night....

U9BbYmb.jpg

..barrel with carb intakes for the price of intakes alone....gotta be worth having a spare barrel, right?

Update on this barrel. It did look nasty in this image, but it was protective wax and cleaned off to reveal bores in very good condition. Some light marks below the piston ring line but no noticeable wear.

eviYPkO.jpg

The carb inlets cleaned up real nice and I'll be using this barrel as the existing barrel had two stripped exhaust stud threads and needed a rebore.

So my £30 just might've saved me £170. + £25 for inlets ;)

Honing kit used tonight, barrel/bores looking OK I reckon. Not perfect but they should do if pistons measure up to fit.

Also, the loom has been trialed and all appears to be in order. Connected the major components such as regulator, spark box, coil pack, indicator relay.....I'm sure I (my son) can adapt to suit the 400/4 frame and bar controls too.

OHx3kjx.jpg

In other news...I've temp fitted the front disc to wheel and wheel to forks as I need a suitable caliper......anyone advise please?

Clearance between mount and disc = 20mm.

sfRXhRx.jpg

F3jUg0J.jpg

Mount to mount dimension - 60mm

aMLpSrE.jpg

I really like Yamaha calipers with the anodised star piston design, I wonder if they could be made to fit?

Blimey it very quiet in here these day...where is everyone....out riding? :)

A quick mock up of the Microns on the engine, just to see if they sit right....very pleased :)

j1JqEeT.jpg

KwuSfkp.jpg

cROA5tT.jpg

Judging by the lay out and length of the engine, that'll place the rear mounting tab somewhere close to the rear peg mount as a convenient location I reckon.

Liking the way they fit and look...fat expansion pipes in stove enamelled black will go nice with a glass blasted engine with black detailing.

Spoke to a local blaster & powdercoater today, £50 for each alloy wheel in appliance white, £80 to blast and powder the frame and the same for the tank too. The white will have a RAL number so I can have the plastic guards 2packed in the same shade of washing machine white ;)

Engine will be glass blasted which leaves a nice natural finish he tells me....liking the sound of that :)

The very nice people in DVLA have wrote me letter informing me that my copy V5 is incoming...yah!

Roll up roll up...get yer side panels...only £18 for three ;)

qXT88qO.jpg

Honda 350 side panels with sharks gill vent a likes....me likes too. Hope they fit the frame haha!

All I'm sayin' is....it helps to have a mate who runs industrial power washing machines...;)

PYC2YIL.jpg

That must count as the easiest degrease I've ever done.

B54pJD7.jpg

Small steps....

Back
Top Bottom