projects

Aidantherookie

Hello people! So i am a rookie to the motorcycle game and with that a rookie to the cafe racer scene. I fell in love with it right away and 2 weeks later stumbled upon a 1974 Honda CB450 sitting in the warehouse of my job. Needless to say i got that thing out of there asap for a whopping 0 dollars. The tank is rusted to the point of no return but the engine seems to be fine (carbs questionable) and the frame is fine. I am looking to restore this bike into the badass cafe racer i know it can be but i do need guidance! Any tips on building or budget will be greatly appreciated. I have the tools and the mechanical edge to figure it all out but a little help couldnt hurt. Thanks!
P.S pictures coming as soon as i figure this website out.

Lots of 450 builds on here. Use the search function.... Open an account on a photo sharing website and post the BBC code for adding images, that will be best and easiest...
As far as a budget, I can't help you there. I spent way too much on mine and any build is likely to cost more than it will ever sell for if you build it how you want it... I like the DOHC early 450's though! ;D Eagerly awaiting pics.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of the bike.
I would get the thing running running first just to check that the engine is good.
While your doing that you will get to know the bike and I vision will evolve in your head of how you want the bike to look.
Good luck with it :)

It IS a Honda. If the kick lever moves you probably don't have to "make sure the engine is good" ;)

Just kidding... You could check that first, unless you are OK with the worst case scenario being rebuilding the engine also.. Also try to find a honda repair manual. It will make things easier

it kicks and gives a little pump but all the tubing is rotted away and the spark plugs are done. I plan on stripping it down getting new plugs and tubes and getting it running before and cosmetic surgery begins. Thanks for the advice!

just to throw some pictures in this thread here you guys go.

Attachments

• image-8.jpeg
    image-8.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 313
That's no '74. That's a '68 for sure. Unless he put the tank and side covers from a 68 on a 74. The exhaust is usually a noticeable feature for year also but you didn't post a pic of that side.. Check the vin on the neck of the frame. If it is (cl450) - 1000001-1012469 the engine number wont match exactly but will be within about 500 consecutive digits or so and have an E in the beginning as well.

Too bad that tank is busted up bad. The 67 models are highly desirable and the 68's are cool too with the circular older HM wing logo.

Check the vin info and let us know. What does the title say? Do you have the title for it?

no title it was given to my boss and he had it on display for a couple months. That shows how much i know about the bike without the code i was basing my analysis off photos. As far as the vin goes it appears to have been torn away or rusted over. Heres a shot of the exhaust and where the vin code is no more.

Attachments

• image-9.jpeg
    image-9.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 302
Yup '68.. I sold a set of similar pipes for $400.00. You can get that all day if there's no holes in them... The vin number should be hard stamped into the metal neck as well next to where that vin plate was/is. The engine vin will be on the lower end on the horizontal surface towards the middle just past the sprocket engine cover.

The pipes are fine and hole free. Thats good news and good money to go right back into the bike haha. I will continue taking it apart and keeping you guys posted as i move forward in the project. I will certainly be asking many questions to you seasoned builders.

Congrats on the rescue! Tons of info here on the old 450's, pretty sure the manual (or at least a link) is here for download. You can also check out www.hondatwins.net
There is a reason those pipes get decent money... They are stinkin COOL! you might want to hold onto them for a bitand see if you like the looks of them on your project.
Pitty about the tank, but there is many good options out there that will fit. Stock and aftermarket bits are plentiful as well.

keep them pipes (they are badass) go back to the warehouse and find a free welder and whatever else they let you "clean up" for them take it home and toss it on Craigslist....Build Bank Done

Nice score, welcome.

With the VIN I know from working on my '69 Z50A that it did not have a compliance plate, and no VIN, just a frame and engine number. The frame number was stamped into the axle plate and was a bit of a paint to read after all the years. You will have to do a bit of searching but I would imagine that there is a frame number stamped somewhere in a pain in the arse spot.

im going to have to check that out thanks! I will be holding on to the pipes for a bit but i think they are just to damn classy for what im going for haha. I think they belong on a restoration not a rebuild :D.

Back
Top Bottom