Insurance question for Ontarians

Steverino

Hi guys,
Hoping you can help.
When you are shopping around for insurance for your cafe they inevitably ask you, if it is an older bike, whether or not it is stock or had any modifications.
Do you guys fess up and tell them the mods....Or just fly under the radar if they don't request pics?

Thanks
For your help.
Steve

Insurance is partially based on a, how long you have ridden, b, where you live and, c, what you ride. So skipping the first two, if its over 30 years, you get it appaised, then typically the insurance is a couple of hundred dollars a year. They note all changes and alterations and send that to the coverer. I have had several and you can check out my Street brat by searching GS850 Street Brat on this forum. Some people get appraisal s done before mods but in my mind I think getting the app done after will get yopu back what you put in. If you do it before, then you get what you had.

Unless you've totally changed your bike leave well enough alone and call it stock. Give Desjardins a call. Best price I've ever had on insurance ($270 for my XS650).

I should also say I've never had 'comprehensive' insurance on my bikes. Just liability. I should look into proper full coverage for my BMW, as it's my one stock bike that has some value. But none of them are worth so much that I'd spend hundreds a year extra to cover them against theft. If someone hits me and they're at fault, my understanding is their insurance covers the damage to my bike regardless of my insurance coverage.

+1 on Desjardins! 8)

I pay HALF of what State Farm was charging me! Same exact coverage and deductable. :eek:

Not from Canada. But I had to take mine to an adjuster and come up with a mutually agreed upon value. I started high, found the highest priced parts I could that were similar to mine, put a hourly rate on the labor it took to put together, and we settled on $6,500 for replacement costs. It costs me $336 a year.

J-Rod10 said:
That would run 1500 a year I'm ON
Not from Canada. But I had to take mine to an adjuster and come up with a mutually agreed upon value. I started high, found the highest priced parts I could that were similar to mine, put a hourly rate on the labor it took to put together, and we settled on $6,500 for replacement costs. It costs me $336 a year.

My GS850 runs me just over $250 a year WITH collision. Full coverage. that is after an appraisal and through Dalton Timmis. My completely restored 1972 CB350 K4 which won Best Asian Bike at the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Show in Paris ran me just over $225 with complete coverage, of course with an appraisal. the appraisal lasts 5 years so for me its a no brainer. These are of course bikes that are all over 30 years old as well, so they fall into the vintage program at Dalton Timmis.

On the other hand I have my 2000 XLS Sport S Harley fully covered with replacement value at $12,000, insured for just over $900. Now I have been riding for over 40 years with a clean record.

JMO

TheCoffeeGuy said:
My GS850 runs me just over $250 a year WITH collision. Full coverage. that is after an appraisal and through Dalton Timmis. My completely restored 1972 CB350 K4 which won Best Asian Bike at the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Show in Paris ran me just over $225 with complete coverage, of course with an appraisal. the appraisal lasts 5 years so for me its a no brainer. These are of course bikes that are all over 30 years old as well, so they fall into the vintage program at Dalton Timmis.

On the other hand I have my 2000 XLS Sport S Harley fully covered with replacement value at $12,000, insured for just over $900. Now I have been riding for over 40 years with a clean record.

JMO

Dalton Timmis has good rates, but there are 'hoops to jump through'. By the letter of their policy, you can't have any modifications. As well, you need an appraisal which is your cost. As well there are mileage restrictions.

The agent that was handling my application failed to inform me about the "no modifications" clause until AFTER I had my appraisal done. He then lied when he claimed he had informed me. I was NOT happy. :mad:

Desjardins, no issues. Do it all over the phone. Coverage in minutes. VERY happy. 8)

Back
Top Bottom