steel rims vs. aluminum rims (spoked wheels)

1-2 lbs savings over steel, depending on the size and with aluminum you can have a nice polish-ed finn-ish 8)

Correct me if I'm wrong but spoked rims provide a little bit of flex over mags. I wouldn't know the difference because I never ridden on mags but I suppose it makes sense in offering a slight smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SrgtBear said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but spoked rims provide a little bit of flex over mags. I wouldn't know the difference because I never ridden on mags but I suppose it makes sense in offering a slight smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a wire spoked wheel can flex a bit more just because of it's design but i dont think it really effects the ride quality, the problem with all of the early mags and still a lot of them today (except on bullet bikes) is they are so overly heavy and the unsprung weight and gyro effect is a negative deal
take for example the rd400, the boat anchor mag wheels yamaha put on there ruined the handling compared to the earlier rd's with wire spoke wheels

Everything mentioned plus cool factor. Aluminum rims are a statement that you went that extra mile to add function and form to your bike. They separate the true builder from the Johnnycomelatelys.

xb33bsa said:
a wire spoked wheel can flex a bit more just because of it's design but i dont think it really effects the ride quality, the problem with all of the early mags and still a lot of them today (except on bullet bikes) is they are so overly heavy and the unsprung weight and gyro effect is a negative deal
take for example the rd400, the boat anchor mag wheels yamaha put on there ruined the handling compared to the earlier rd's with wire spoke wheels

The Enkei mags I got from an 82 CB750 weighed within 1lb of my CB's original wire wheels and were 1/4" wider and had dual discs up front vs single. :/ But I think your argument is very valid. Mags wheels (Aluminum) in general weigh more than wire wheels, unless you get some super skinny spoke new-ish ones... or magnesium :D

While a spoke / mag discussion is great, don't loose sight of the fact the OP was asking specifically about rims for spoked wheels - steel vs aluminum.

Tim had it right the first time (as usual). Weight and rust. I'll add toughness, but really only important if you hit curbs hard enough to get past the tire. "Extra mile" on your build? Definitely.

Back
Top Bottom