Tapered Wheel Bearing?

ncologerojr

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
I've been gathering pats for my next build which involves a wheel and fork swap. The wheel hub I plan on using accommodates a 45mm outside bearing diameter, and the axel which fits the fork has a 25mm diameter. The only 25mm X 45mm bearings I can seem to find are tapered bearings from All Balls. The closest sealed bearings I can find from All Balls are 25mm X 47mm. The wheel I have (Harley) currently has tapered bearings, and I know that many older bikes used them. I do not know a whole lot about bearings. Is the main downfall of tapered bearings shorter life span/maintenance? Or, is there a failure/danger factor as well? Of course tapered bearings are the easiest answer, but if need be I can use my lathe to remove 1mm from the hub bore or machine a custom axel.

Thanks in advance.

tapered bearings do make a much stouter lash, able to handle hugely greater loads in all directions
they will last just as long as a radial ball bearing,but they do have more drag
and they must be installed in a way such as to maintain a certain preload
bottom line is stick with a radial ball bearing,when/if you bore the hub out just be sure to get the fit correct ,too much radial crush will ruin the bearing in short order

xb33bsa said:
tapered bearings do make a much stouter lash, able to handle hugely greater loads in all directions
they will last just as long as a radial ball bearing,but they do have more drag
and they must be installed in a way such as to maintain a certain preload
bottom line is stick with a radial ball bearing,when you bore the hub out just be sure to get the fit correct ,too much radial crush will ruin the bearing in short order

Thank you.

contact an industrial bearing supplier (timkin for example) and ask them.
Chances are good that your bearing size exists somewhere under the sun.

Bozz said:
contact an industrial bearing supplier (timkin for example) and ask them.
Chances are good that your bearing size exists somewhere under the sun.

I agree, I'm sure it exists. But, like the other bikes I've built this one will eventually be sold and I don't want the future owner to run into a problem down the road should they need to be replaced.

Just make a note of the model number for the bearings and the manufacturer and write it in a manual that you should sell with the bike anyway.
Problem solved

SONIC. said:
Just make a note of the model number for the bearings and the manufacturer and write it in a manual that you should sell with the bike anyway.
Problem solved

That's not a bad idea at all, but it is proving to be pretty difficult to find the proper size anyway. I've checked some big suppliers including Timken and Fastenal with no luck. I would also bet that if I do find a quality bearing in the right size it will be pricey. I'm just going to bore the hub. I have a lathe in my shop. Removing just 1mm from the bore should give a perfect fit, and bearings in that size are everywhere.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom