Down under, an idiot and a 400F

Hoosier Daddy said:
Shouldn't there be something mounting the lower part of the caliper for strength here?

Nah, that's the brake pad pin hole. I've used the same mounts for the calipers so hopefully it should be all good.

Only change to stock is that they are mounted at 3 o clock rather than 1:30

crazypj said:
I like the look of that
Have you decided on rims yet?

Yep:

Fr - 2.15 x 18 {100 x 90 x 18}
Rr - 2.75 x 18 {120 x 80 x 18}

Buying the following from Buchanans:

Sun Rims (black anodised)
SS spokes and nipples

Oh... and selling one of these to pay for it:

images

Yea, but aren't Buchanans the tits? You get what you pay for with those...

And suppossedly you only need 1 nut in most applications...right? haha

Well slap me on the arse and call me an Indian...

images

The left one (always been my favourite ;)) is safe. The missus has approved a loan for my Buchanans purchase as my ability to repay a loan is much better than my ability to save the cash (I bought the GSXR forks last time I got $300 burning a hole in my pocket).

Looks like the order will be placed in the next couple of days. Need to get hubs over to be polished.

A good day for the bike which remains unnamed...

I want a missus that issues loans..... sadface..

Haha, that would be dangerous though, unless she was loaded!

ronnie said:
I want a missus that issues loans..... sadface..

Haha, that would be dangerous though, unless she was loaded!

FYI it's my money, she is just the gatekeeper ;)

Yea, I already know the phrase," her money is her money and your money is her money" haha!

Did you re-fill/bleed the steering damper yet?
I would use Silkolene RSF as it has the highest viscosity index (doesn't change viscosity as much with temperature)
You just did forks so I'm sure you have some 'oil' left over ;D
I put in 10wt but haven't fitted it to bike so don't know how well it's going to work yet

crazypj said:
Did you re-fill/bleed the steering damper yet?
I would use Silkolene RSF as it has the highest viscosity index (doesn't change viscosity as much with temperature)
You just did forks so I'm sure you have some 'oil' left over ;D
I put in 10wt but haven't fitted it to bike so don't know how well it's going to work yet

Not yet PJ, I am trying to work out how the fark the thing attaches to the bike. It's got the mount on the front of the lower triple and I assume the body mounts to the headstem but when I do this the end hits the opposite fork leg.

How are people mounting them, not happy with the front mount as its pretty big and would look stupid underneath the headlight. Was probably going to get another one (longer side mount version) to attach to the side of the frame an use of of the threaded holes underneath the lower triple.

I would say cut off the front mount on yoke, connect the rod end to either fork leg or mount underneath and the body gets mounted on frame center line.
Did I tell you I used a syringe to add oil?
real easy, just move rod real slow so you don't push the oil back out and only have the air bubbles.
I think damper is better than new, they always seem to have a rough spot where the air bubbles cavitate in damper piston

I might re-look at it. Might have the damper cross over from one side of the triple clamp to the other side of the frame.

Got a syringe and some 5w ready to go, just need to work out the mounting on the frame. That bearing on the body makes it flop around a bit. Anyone got pics of a GSXR damper mounted?

Also putting the order in for the rims. Anyone know a way of working out the right offset? I was going to just centre the rim on the hub.

The rear could have up to 1/4" offset but I build them centered for 360's (there are 3 different spoke lengths on some but not all wheels)
I build the front centered although I think it should have 1/8" offset?
Did you cut the old spokes out?
If you unscrewed them you can check lengths, if you only have 2 sizes, build centered, you can always adjust by fitting to fork or swing arm

We have rims and spokes on order :)

Hubs will be sent away for polishing soon too, then will be getting it all together with some sticky rubber in early September. We are not far from a rolling chassis, only taken me since Mar to get wheels on it.

Flogging some excess bits on eBay too so hope to have an order in for clip ons too over the next day or so. Looking at these bad boys which I assume fit over the GSXR forks at the top near the triple clamp:

http://bit.ly/Prfiou

Also plan on making some headlight ears too using SS hose clamps and 3mm Alu I've got lying around. Fingers crossed it doesn't look like shit ;)

Sent my caliper carrier off to be made into 2 this week in 8mm steel. Should have them back in a week or so too, then I need to revisit the calipers as I didn't paint them wet enough. Strip and paint or just lay another coat over the top?

Slowly getting there. As my mum used to say "slowly, slowly, catchy monkee".

Not much left to buy ;)

Tyres
Headlight bucket and lens
Front brake lever/mc and clutch perch
Front braided brake lines
Grips
Swingarm brace and rear shock mount steel
Shock
Brake light
Carb rebuild
Paint frame
Swingarm bushes (bronze)
Drive train
TTR400 rear-sets
SS tube for indicator stalks
Paint tins and frame

Oh and then the motor:

466 pistons (and boring)
New gaskets
Cam chain
TTR400 cam chain tensioner U
Cam chain sliders
Cam fixed and journal
Primary chain
Elec ignition
Coils
Crank bearings

Then BOOM! Ready to ride and look farkin cool :D

Bars look pretty good, they also have a bunch of other neat stuff :D
Pretty universal fitting, there are only a couple of companies making forks for majority of Japanese bikes (Kayaba or Showa) makes life easier when swapping parts around

Back
Top Bottom