'79 BMW R45 build

Silencers.
I've gone for short megaphones/cones. Aparently they should fit 35mm pipes but they only go down to 36.4mm. Classicbikeshop.co.uk said they couldn't help me (they never actually measured the reducers) but would reimburse me for any shims I bought.

Incorrect part by jonno85uk, on Flickr

Anyone know of how to fix this?

Sometimes a good clean, paint and general tidying up can do wonders for a bike eh? Great job so far! And for the exhaust, try taking your pipes to an exhaust shop and have the pipes expanded with their stretching machine until it fits in the mufflers snug. I bet they'd only charge you $10 to do it since it's only +/- 1mm. I hate shims with a passion, they're best to be avoided. Keep it up!

kieferocks said:
Sometimes a good clean, paint and general tidying up can do wonders for a bike eh? Great job so far! And for the exhaust, try taking your pipes to an exhaust shop and have the pipes expanded with their stretching machine until it fits in the mufflers snug. I bet they'd only charge you $10 to do it since it's only +/- 1mm. I hate shims with a passion, they're best to be avoided. Keep it up!

Yeah, even taking bits off made the bike look immediatley better.

Hadn't thought of that but I'm afraid the pipes might not take it. I'll recheck the condition of them and see how much rot is there. I may end up just bodging it and getting new stainless pipes when these fall through.

session101 said:
dude! frigg*n sweet, that actually is a rare bike! you better keep it!

the bike sounds great
(I had to edit your quote to submit. Apparently that word is innapropriate content)

Thanks. I've never seen one out on the road, in fact I see very few airheads out and about. The only one i've seen all year is an R100, full fairing, very tatty and ridden by an old man with a huge white beard!

I'm definetly keeping it just like my little DR125. I've had that for 13 years and rebuilt it twice (fire & thefts damaged it) and i've blown the motor once. I want another bike though (thinking an R65 GS) and I doubt I should really have more than 3 though. :D

The noise was terrific in the small garage. It startled my housemates the 1st time it lit up and filled the driveway with smoke!

I've called it a wrap on on my seat. I'm ok with it what with it being my 1st attempt. Due to the mishmash of chopped strand and woven mat there were noticeable "seams" in the finish. I tried to cover it up with gel coat but that didn't go well, I must have used not quite enough hardener. I ended up chucking filler at it when what I should have done was sanded it back before any coatings. Oh well.

Gel coated

Gel coat by jonno85uk, on Flickr
Filler primer

Filler Primer by jonno85uk, on Flickr

I forgot to take a picture of the finished article on it's own.

Sanded and hammerited subframe

Painted subframe by jonno85uk, on Flickr

New painted bits together

img_0001_05 by jonno85uk, on Flickr

Seat finished by jonno85uk, on Flickr

I should have taken a rear and side view shots at the same time.

Now on to the lovely job of wiring.

I've got one of these to plumb and wire in whic replaces the original brass anchor

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the fuses. I can get a hold of some nice&small circuit breakers from work but the nearest is 7.5A (i need 8A) and I'm not sure where to place them. Either in the unsheltered seat hump or under the tank.

I need to get rid of the turn-signal relay but don't know which one it is. I have a feeling it's the one in the fuse box.

The rest of the loom is horrible gunky mess. It's all there with 1 damaged connector but trying to remember what went where is hard. Thankfully I took some pics a long time back.

Need more block sanding to improve the finish. If you don't do it, you will always regret it until you pull it off and do it.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Need more block sanding to improve the finish. If you don't do it, you will always regret it until you pull it off and do it.

Yeah. I don't know why I went for the gel-coat 1st. It's been sitting in my garage unopened for ages and I fancied trying it out thinking it might sort of "gel out" all the imperfections. The final finish isn't too bad where it matters, I didn't bother touching up the pan as foam is going there.

Never mind, i've already started visualising mk2 of my seat already. I have plenty of resin and fibre just need to find the time.

Bloody brilliant, not many R45's around now. The snow flake wheels actually look quite good in black! :)

Erskine said:
Bloody brilliant, not many R45's around now. The snow flake wheels actually look quite good in black! :)

Thanks! Those snowflakes look hideous stock or as silver. Black makes them look less busy.

I think there's a good reason why they're rare, the R65 is the same but faster.

Yeah, they're not rated for speed but such an under stressed engine should last for centuries!
Where are you in the uk?

Erskine said:
Yeah, they're not rated for speed but such an under stressed engine should last for centuries!
Where are you in the uk?

Not really after high-speed, just hope the gearbox isn't too slow. I may up compression and lighten the flywheel in the future to make it a little peppier. It's only 20k miles so it's got a long way to go.

I'm down in Salisbury atm but off to Bristol soon. You?

Well more work today. Sorting out the electrics was a bit tasking. When I took the pictures of the connectors and loom before dismantling I should have cleaned it up. Matching oily grime covered connectors was tasking. Now that the loom is in everything seems to be ok.

img_0001_10 by jonno85uk, on Flickr
The battery is a bit yellow

img_0001_11 by jonno85uk, on Flickr
Finally found out what this things is for. An annoying, cheap sounding buzzer for the turn-signal.

IMG_20120901_180815 by jonno85uk, on Flickr
I'm ripping that back out.

Erskine said:
Lovely jubbly, looks like it won't be long before you are on the road!

Cheers. I'm getting so close now. If it wasn't for an unfilled front brake I would have gone for a cheeky spin up and down the road.

Just a few more things to do: relocate & mount fuses; mount silencers properly; get and fit lights; put foam on the seat; bleed the front brake.Hopefully should have all but 2 done tomorrow. I'll get a better vid clip tomorrow, my phone doesn't capture the boxer sound all that well.

Boxers sound so cool. The K sounds like chitty chitty bang bang as stock. But mine won't for long ;)

Back
Top Bottom