'79 BMW R45 build

On the ignition switch... I had similar issued trying to find a decent location. I ended up putting it on the right side frame rail, just above the rubber shaft boot. $2 bracket bent 90° and mounted on one of the tabs on the frame. It works ok...I dont have a good picture of it but can put one up later. Great work on the snowflakes, too. Thats next on my list. I was torn between black or stock gray, and you helped me decide- I'm painting them black :)

regomodo said:
Finding a way to mount the ignition switch. I doubt it'll stay here but I was just playing around really.

Bodge Job by jonno85uk, on Flickr

IMG_20120910_181105 by jonno85uk, on Flickr

@mohabie I think I might try what you suggest in the future, where it is now it really is "out there".

I managed to get a couple hours to work on the bike today. Sorted out the $2000 o-ring:

2012-09-29 18.03.57 by jonno85uk, on Flickr

2012-09-29 18.04.15 by jonno85uk, on Flickr

I also sorted out the final bits of the seat - foam:

2012-09-29 17.58.09 by jonno85uk, on Flickr

As I don't have the generator bulb in I soldered in a 430Ohm resistor between posts #4 & #6 on the tacho connector of the loom. 470Ohm to 330Ohm is recommended so I went somewhere in the middle as that's all I had.
I tried to get the bike running but the left barrel must have been totally flooded. I also noticed the left carb was pissing fuel again and was probably the reason why the bike refused to start, damn near killed the battery (tick-tick-tick-tick). It seems to do this until it gets a shock and then is fine from then on.

Well, all that is left is to mount the number plate and new fully-adjustable Hagon's that are on the way and get it to my new place. I'm thinking booking an MOT, take a train to the bike and ride it to the test-centre. Just hope i doesn't have issues on the way. I must remember to pack a good toolkit with many zipties.

Major progress today. Fitted the Hagon shocks (nice) and number plate took it for a long spin back to my new place. Nothing wrong with it other than the front brake is shit and a slight idle issue.

Going along the twisty a-roads the bike felt very stable and flickable enough if I used my knees. Engine note is lovely and she pulls well, no eye-watering acceleration but a nice clean pull through the revs. It was a bit tricky trying to figure out the speed for the cameras what with not having a speedo.

I think it's time for an MOT then to fit a small number plate. The cafe hump really reduces mounting options.

Bike looks awesome! Ive been debating the BMW thing for a while, but the cylinders sticking out like that worry me...i usually drag hard parts when i ride.......

very nice bmw you have there...

here is my r80

2012-09-03113546.jpg

2012-06-10152229.jpg

harley pipes, r6 rearsets, shortened subframe

i had problems with the tank liner coming away and getting past inline filter upsetting the carbs and my 38mm clip ons had to be persuaded on..very tight fit i recall

the paintwork was done by a pro sprayer the po knew when he was respraying an aston martin. the colour was similar match to bmw silver....but he fillered some pin holes in tank and sprayed over it. these holes were exposed when i was getting the tank liner out with the broken glass and screw shaking method. with modern paint stripper not working these days thats as far as i got rubbing tank down but liked it so left it like that.

you probably know this but if your tank still has a liner in it my advice is to remove it all or the ethanol in modern fuel will remove it and cause all sorts of problems

and if your exhausts start blowing at the join after riding it a bit there is a company in wolverhampton, i think they are called mij??...they do all sorts of sizes of reducers and joiners to join your silencers to mid pipe and can make to your measurement...mate used them for a car exhaust and was pleased. think their ebay listings show more products than their website?

Nice job, re the brakes, it looks like you have the original stainless disc, they are s**t, change it for a cast disc and you will see a huge difference, will set you back around £100 new, I've got the twin disc Brembo set up on my R80 and at best I would describe braking as adequate, with cast discs they reckon you can stand the bike on it's nose, good luck with the build.

Frog said:
Nice job, re the brakes, it looks like you have the original stainless disc, they are s**t, change it for a cast disc and you will see a huge difference, will set you back around £100 new, I've got the twin disc Brembo set up on my R80 and at best I would describe braking as adequate, with cast discs they reckon you can stand the bike on it's nose, good luck with the build.

Tell me about it, no bite whatsoever. motobins has a sale on grimecas this month. I'm getting them.

session101 said:
Love the tailsection, looks like a sportclassic ducati tail

so what size tires are you running?

Cheers, it's not great as I did it in bit of a rush, thankfully it only cost me a can of primer. Had the other stuff knocking about. I'm intending on building a carbon-fibre seat over the winter.

Tyres: it's an 18" 4.00" on the rear. Up front, not sure off the top of my head but a 19/90 (no idea why they mix units).

Rego, this is the first time I've stumbled onto this thread. Your bike is looking great and I have to agree with the rest, that tail section looks great with the tank.

Now Cyclone, what is with the green grips?

Back
Top Bottom