71 CB350 Project (Sold!)

Re: 71 CB350 Project (SHE'S ALIVE!!!!)

I really like it with the handlebars that you have on it, it has a flat track look to it. Super sick! Good work ;)

JR

adriannarnold said:
Alright,

Should pick up my clubmans today. Also ordered some 37.5 pilots and 130 mains for the carbs.
Has anyone put the 176 bleed style needle jets in their VM's? If so, did you just get like P-2 or P-4 right in the middle of the rich lean spectrum?

Threw on some fork boots too. (Thanks again djelliot)

Thanks guys for all the compliments.

The tires are Shinko 244's. I think I payed $25 for the front and $35 for the rear. I did get my black clubmans in. So I put them on and trimmed them nice and short. I think the look really good. I will get pics up soon.

I am currently out of town so I wont be getting my M on the license just yet. I have to take one of those stupid driving courses.

Also, I should have some new jets waiting for me when I get home. 130 mains, and 37.5 pilots so I will let you guys know how they turn out. Should get me really close.

Looking forward to seeing how it looks with clubmans on. Nice build!

Hey guys here are some iPhone pics. I get some real ones up when I get home.

e8e24743.jpg

3ce01ef1.jpg

d5c44e36.jpg

d4d8795d.jpg

71 CB350 Project (SHE'S ALIVE!!!!)

What iPhone app did you use to take that first retro pic? Pretty cool lookin.

71 CB350 Project (SHE'S ALIVE!!!!)

Thanks man. I'll check them both out. Rad lookin bike!

Brief update.

Got my 37.5 pilots in, and 130 mains with the jet needle clip at +1 lean. Bike is running much better and plugs look nice and brown.

I still need to take her out and hit some higher speeds, but saving money and waiting to get my motorcycle license.

Great news! Glad it's running better and I gotta say, as one of the eleventy billion people putting VM30's on my 350, I really appreciate that you are actually posting your jets and settings so that we can get at least an operational base setting. It's a comfort to know that there is a combination out there that will get me out of the garage... I (like many others) have tried asking what would be a good 'day 1' jet combination and the responses are always 'they're all different' and 'you need to tune it out yourself' etc... But I suspect that my VM30's got shipped with 2 hundred and something mains so knowing I can buy some 130's for it and get to the coffee shop with them before I go crazy with tuning is a good thing! Thanks again and keep us in the loop if you make any more changes!

No problem.

Here is the link for the pilots I bought, and for a decent price and reasonable shipping.
I got my mains from this guy too. He also has the bleed type needle jets that I had trouble finding before. I may order them depending on how the bikes runs.
This seller is very helpful too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150521212093&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_2551wt_939

Yeah my vm30's had 250 mains and 40 pilots.

I'll let you know if I make more changes. Let me know if you don't have an Ebay account. I may be able to help you out.

Got signed up for my motocycle training course FINALLY!!!. A requirement in TX before you can get a license. Starts tomorrow and ends thursday. That means by Thursday afternoon I'll be cruising around hopefully. ;D

Made a couple changes to the bike. Painted the chrome fenders black, and wrapped the headers. Also, I plan on stripping the paint on the tank and running just bare metal. Kinda of a ratty cafeish bike.

Give me a shout when you're legal and let's ride. I'll just assume that my rigged up throttle cable will last until a new one arrives in the mail.

I noticed your seat sits flat-did you cut the rear hoop that your fender was bolted into originally? Have you noticed any instability in the back on turns? The reason I ask is that hoop holds the back end of your bike's frame together and without, the frame might get floppy.

Yes, I cut off the rear hoop. I actually haven't noticed any instability whatsoever. That was a concern of mine originally, but there is also another bracket that is welded in the frame right where both the rear shocks mount. This adds much more stability than I think the rear hope would. I did mount the rear fender back on in a way that may add a little of that stability back.

Searching for batteryless CL builds to get some ideas and came across this post. I built a Twinstar with a very similar setup to this last year. Used a leftover everslick deck from the 90's that I had sitting around in my garage at the time. Dig the build. Keep up the good work!

How's your jetting doing now that you've had some time on it? No matter what I did, I couldn't get the primary type needle jets to keep from running rich and fouling plugs. I've currently switched over to bleeder type needle jets and still trying to get them dialed in.

Back
Top Bottom