Building a "start stand" for my CB360

timberwolffxdl

Been Around the Block
Just got started today, but I have it pretty much worked out I think. Not much to show yet, but it should progress rapidly. Engine should be mounted by tomorrow evening, and beginning the wiring.

10660271_10204077070761070_7252115946660273307_n.jpg

What is a start stand? When I read the title I thought it was one of those roll-on starters like the MotoGP bikes use :)

xb33bsa said:
for a static display ?

HerrDeacon said:
What is a start stand? When I read the title I thought it was one of those roll-on starters like the MotoGP bikes use :)

It will let me both rebuild the top end of the motor (like a normal engine stand) and also allow me to test start it outside the bike.

VERY COOL ! just be sure only run it long enough to set timing,other than that you need to have it in the bike so you can apply a load for breaking in the rings ;)

Main reason for building it is I have 3 1/2 cb/cl360 motors on the shelf. I want to see what state each is in so I can pick the best one to rebuild into the big bore motor for the bike build in my sig.

xb33bsa said:
you gotta weld some handlebars across the top o that panel ;D

I actually thought about it so I could use a stock throttle :lol:

Decided I'd probably just use a choke cable as a throttle instead. Basically because I didn't have a loose throttle with cables around here that wouldn't require me pulling wires out of a stock set of bars.

Hmm...or do I? :think:

I'll have to look when I get home ;D

timberwolffxdl said:
Main reason for building it is I have 3 1/2 cb/cl360 motors on the shelf. I want to see what state each is in so I can pick the best one to rebuild into the big bore motor for the bike build in my sig.

Only 3.5 360 motors? That number seems a little low if you want to assemble a fully functioning one. ;)

If you can easily do it, make the engine a little higher so it is easy to work on....Also, modify an extra alternator cover so you can time it with a strobe light and not spray oil all over the place...like this:

Attachments

• Alt Cover for Timing.JPG
    Alt Cover for Timing.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 244
Re: Building a "start stand" for my CB360

Nice. I'd mount it bench height and without the wheels though. That things going to walk around like crazy as your rev it

Re: Building a "start stand" for my CB360

mydlyfkryzis said:
If you can easily do it, make the engine a little higher so it is easy to work on....Also, modify an extra alternator cover so you can time it with a strobe light and not spray oil all over the place...like this:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip!

SONIC. said:
Nice. I'd mount it bench height and without the wheels though. That things going to walk around like crazy as your rev it

Right now the furniture dolly is to allow me to move it around while I'm working on it. It's a lot easier to hoist that 100lb (ish?) engine off the floor by hand when I'm only going up 6-8". I'll make a bench height stand for it once it's done. At that point I can use the cherry picker to place it :D

Back
Top Bottom