1973 cb350 cam timing and valve adjustment question (with pictures)

v30magna

Been Around the Block
Is my cam timed correctly? Reassembling, first sl350 I have put together. Here's a few pictures

This is my engine at LT, L at top on cam sprocket, nub is up on points end, tension is on the cam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 379
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 357
As for valve clearance adjustment, where does the cam need to be? They are all down at 90 after LT. I believe the flywheel says J. Is this the place for clearance adjustment?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 505
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 309
Here is the second LT. It doesn't want to sit right on it without me holding it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 323
Nub-up at LT is correct. Your timing is right.

As for valve adjustment, I rotate the engine until you feel it "fall" in the direction of rotation. That's the cam-weight working its way to the low spot, which is about 90º after top-dead-center on the compression stroke of the left cylinder. You will notice that you can spin the crank freely at this point, assuming your spark plugs aren't inserted.

90º ATDC on the left is also where you adjust your cam-chain tension. Be sure to put a slight tension on the crank anti-clockwise as you adjust the tension, so that all of the slack is in the rear of the chain.

place the pin on the camshaft at the 4 o'clock postion,,adjust and set your cam tensioner..........good luck

Back
Top Bottom