Georgia is screwed!

03rangerxlt

Been Around the Block
So, I walked my puppy about an hour ago. It was pretty damn cold out. Then I walk my puppy at 11pm, and this is what I see...

(sorry, crappy cell phone pics ensue)
166387_10150379736510107_868260106_16801430_4033218_n.jpg

168631_10150379736450107_868260106_16801428_3174984_n.jpg

Luckily I took off from work on MOnday to watch my college football team play Oregon in the championship, so I wont have to drive this to work tomorrow.
168510_10150379736260107_868260106_16801422_7550829_n.jpg

Big Rich said:
$5 says you get a phone call asking to come out to an accident.

haha! Don't say that! I figure I will keep myself on a steady stream of PBR. I can't drive the patrol car if I have been drinking!

Stay warm my friend and dont answer the phone, hehe. Im sure it will be all over with in a few days.
But yeah, looks like the south is going to get some snow. My son called from Mississippi and he was at a grocery store and said all the milk and bread was gone. He went to another and same thing. They are expecting 6-8". We had a good laugh together. Last year we got 230" of snow and we saw a snow plow twice on our road the entire winter. Granted we only live 2.5 miles from town but there is just a different mentality here. Both times they brought in a 1950s osh kosh
like this:
Oshkosh Plowing
part 2
Oshkosh Plowing 2

Anyhow, I guess its all in what you get used to.

Yeah, I feel ya on the different mentality thing. I'm originally from NJ, lived in Alaska for a couple of years as a youngin'. I learned to drive in the snow. People here have NO CLUE! LOL

Yeah you know what its all about then. Hopefully things wont get too crazy for you there. Does your cruser have snow tires or all seasons?

troybilt said:
Yeah you know what its all about then. Hopefully things wont get too crazy for you there. Does your cruser have snow tires or all seasons?

We have some new pursuit rated tires on the cars now. Not the greatest for snow. We will take a couple "throw down" cars from each precinct to the county garage every time weather looks to be getting bad to have studded snow tires put on the rears. They are ussually not the best of the cars from the precinct, thus we call them the "throw down" cars. Last year, I didn't drive any of the studded cars at all, electing to stay in my nice running with working heat car (before I got assigned a take home car). A buddy of mine drove his patrol car into a subdivision on a call, and got stuck, and called me for help. You had to drive up an incline to get out of the sub, and he was stuck at the bottom of the incline. Well, I got that car up the incline all right. But there weren't any studs left in the back tires when I was done. Most ended up embedded in the plastic fender well of the car!

This is at 0100. This is the first time I have ever heard thunder during a snow storm, and I have been in some snow before.

165207_10150379823035107_868260106_16803740_3280835_n.jpg

This winter is crazy around the world. We are still waiting on snow up here in Newfoundland. I have yet to hold a shovel this year! Usually by this date I'm sick of it.

Here in North Texas it was 65 and sunny-ish on Saturday, and 3 inches of snow Sunday. If you want to see some folks that don't know how to drive in snow/ice come to Texas :)

Quite a few years ago here in PA it was the first snow of the year. There was a slight dusting on the road surface so I was cruising along doing the speed limit. I came up on a car that was going MAYBE 10mph. After almost stopping and thinking "WTF? ", here it was a very old gentleman from florida in a rear wheel drive car. He had to have been freaking out.

Athens around 11pm last night. 1 hour into the snow. Woke up to 5 or 6 inches today. School and work cancelled for 2 days. I'm not too happy about missing either of these.

IMG_0213.jpg

im not being a dick or anything. but i just find it funny that the southern states freak out about a little snow and ice...lol. i mean we are are experiencing 6 to 9 inchs with 30+ mph wind and work is still on schedule. but it not the ppls fault. it the point that the southern most state are not prepaired to handle alot of snow like us northern states. funny story i visted my mom last year in north Carolina and they freaked out about and i quote "trace of an inch". went to walmart bread and milk as almost all gone. and they said to stay off the roads and they were salting and sanding for the STORM.lmao i love the warm states just its funny when it comes to winter there

leedutcher said:
im not being a dick or anything. but i just find it funny that the southern states freak out about a little snow and ice...lol. i mean we are are experiencing 6 to 9 inchs with 30+ mph wind and work is still on schedule. but it not the ppls fault. it the point that the southern most state are not prepaired to handle alot of snow like us northern states. funny story i visted my mom last year in north Carolina and they freaked out about and i quote "trace of an inch". went to walmart bread and milk as almost all gone. and they said to stay off the roads and they were salting and sanding for the STORM.lmao i love the warm states just its funny when it comes to winter there

Yeah, bread, milk, lemons, limes, bananas, frozen french fries, all gone from the store. I don't know why. The liquor store sure was open today! The Southern states are not prepared for minimal winter weather because we rarely get it. It used be, we got a good snow every 10 years or so, now with climate change really making an obvious impression, we're getting more extreme weather than we have in the past: LONG Summers, short Fall/Spring, and LONG, cold Winters.
I too get frustrated when everything is cancelled. I know how to drive in heavy snow. BUT, most of the drivers here are idiots, and they think it's okay to go above 45mph on a street covered in ice. SO, schools and stuff close rather than take a risk for the employees & students getting missiled on the streets by idiot sorority girls yaking on their cell phones and speeding in their Beamers.

i had to drive to the detroit metro twice today cause my dad was flying into albama and the airport in Birmingham was closed. it had been closed ten hours beofore his flight was scheduled to leave but why would they have that information??? no, they let everyone board the plane and make them wait before realizing the airport had been closed since the day before. NICE.

Was watching the news earlier and saw a clip from Atlanta and all the people sliding around in the snow. You Southerners really lose it when you get a little of the white stuff. White knuckles all the way. Be careful out there

Trust me I know all too well. People need to just stay home honestly, because they are helpless on the streets in icy conditions. Unfortunately the law enforcement and paramedics have no choice but to be out there. I wish people would use it as a vacation. It isn't like anything is open anyway out here, and people can't even pronounce salt truck. Damn, I just don't want to work tomorrow.

mysta2 said:
Here in North Texas it was 65 and sunny-ish on Saturday, and 3 inches of snow Sunday. If you want to see some folks that don't know how to drive in snow/ice come to Texas :)
My Dad was working in Midland in the early '80s, they got 1" of snow. Not a typo one inch, and it closed the airport for THREE DAYS ROFL
People were in the ditch with lifted 4X4 pickups, and dad was buzzing around in a Mazda GLC wagon ; )

4eyes said:
My Dad was working in Midland in the early '80s, they got 1" of snow. Not a typo one inch, and it closed the airport for THREE DAYS ROFL
People were in the ditch with lifted 4X4 pickups, and dad was buzzing around in a Mazda GLC wagon ; )

yea the COOKIE CUTTER tires (thin tires) help get traction on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom