1977 Kawasaki KZ 750 Twin

canyoncarver said:
Very cool. HBD. That KZ looks like it's in nice shape.

Thanks. Today is my actual bday. I picked it up yesterday and GOD this is an amazing bike! The torque is RIDICULOUS, even more torque than my 77 Yam XS650!!!

These are shots from yesterday when I took possession of the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_9672.jpg
    IMG_9672.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 310
  • IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 308
damn that is a clean survivor. nice score

750Toys said:
Thanks. Today is my actual bday. I picked it up yesterday and GOD this is an amazing bike! The torque is RIDICULOUS, even more torque than my 77 Yam XS650!!!
These are shots from yesterday when I took possession of the bike.

Right on! Congrats.

canyoncarver said:
Right on! Congrats.

Hey I know you have two of these and I havent gotten the manual yet. Do these bikes have a steering lock like the Hondas? You know, in the steering column?

750Toys said:
Hey I know you have two of these and I havent gotten the manual yet. Do these bikes have a steering lock like the Hondas? You know, in the steering column?

Yep. Manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4YmQGV2yKufeVFFR25rdG4zSUU

canyoncarver said:
Yep. Manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4YmQGV2yKufeVFFR25rdG4zSUU

Mine is a 77. I think the manual you linked is 78-81.....

And one other question. I was going to get the front rotor drilled but started looking on ebay. By all accounts, the front rotor for KZ650, K750 and KZ1000 are all the same from 70 to 80. Does that sound right? Im asking because I foudn an already drilled rotor for a 1980 KZ650 and 76KZ650 on ebay....

750Toys said:

And one other question. I was going to get the front rotor drilled but started looking on ebay. By all accounts, the front rotor for KZ650, K750 and KZ1000 are all the same from 70 to 80. Does that sound right? Im asking because I foudn an already drilled rotor for a 1980 KZ650 and 76KZ650 on ebay....

For all intents, yours is the same as a 78' and the motor is the same throughout all the years. As for the rotors, count mounting holes and double check offset is the same but many 70's kz chassis etc parts interchange.

canyoncarver said:
For all intents, yours is the same as a 78' and the motor is the same throughout all the years. As for the rotors, count mounting holes and double check offset is the same but many 70's kz chassis etc parts interchange.

I found the specific one. Its amazing!!!

https://jpavlov.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/kawkz750twin76fullwith78sup5.pdf

750Toys said:

And one other question. I was going to get the front rotor drilled but started looking on ebay. By all accounts, the front rotor for KZ650, K750 and KZ1000 are all the same from 70 to 80. Does that sound right? I'm asking because I found an already drilled rotor for a 1980 KZ650 and 76KZ650 on ebay....

the single rotors are 7mm thick and duals are 4.5mm. the dual disks are also slightly smaller in diameter. but any rotor from 650,750, 1000 from 76-80 will bolt on both sides. if you convert to dual disk you need to get the 38mm calipers and 5/8 master cylinder

doc_rot said:
the single rotors are 7mm thick and duals are 4.5mm. the dual disks are also slightly smaller in diameter. but any rotor from 650,750, 1000 from 76-80 will bolt on both sides. if you convert to dual disk you need to get the 38mm calipers and 5/8 master cylinder

This is super helpful. Thanks! Im just going for one drilled caliper on one side. I dont think, at this point, I will go the dual route

canyoncarver said:
77' is an SOHC. As for making the twin faster, it all depends on who is tuning the bikes and what mods they did.

I have a question. When I went to look at the dipstick, there is only the cap, not the actual stick. I feel stupid for asking, but is this normal for a 1977 KZ 750? If not where can i get a dipstick with OEM oil cap?

There is no dipstick. There is a sight glass on the clutch cover to monitor the oil level

Its a nice bike, in the process of switching over from leaky stock cv carbs to trusty amals on a 82 kz750 myself

Back
Top Bottom