1977 Kawasaki KZ 750 Twin

datadavid said:
Its a nice bike, in the process of switching over from leaky stock cv carbs to trusty amals on a 82 kz750 myself

Amals? Interesting. There's a good kit for straight pull Mikuni VM34's for the 750 Twin that look like a great option too.

canyoncarver said:
Amals? Interesting. There's a good kit for straight pull Mikuni VM34's for the 750 Twin that look like a great option too.

Thanks so much for your advice earlier this week. You encouraged me to get the KZ750 and now I think it just may be my favorite bike!

750Toys said:
Thanks so much for your advice earlier this week. You encouraged me to get the KZ750 and now I think it just may be my favorite bike!

Glad you dig it man.

Nice score mate, very clean bike indeed.

As for the weight saving, that rear rotor looks like it has a bit of weight to it. You would be surprised at the weight difference between an old full steel and a modern floating rotor.

Brodie said:
Nice score mate, very clean bike indeed.

As for the weight saving, that rear rotor looks like it has a bit of weight to it. You would be surprised at the weight difference between an old full steel and a modern floating rotor.

Ive been searching for modern ones. what brand do you recommend? links?

I'm not sure what you mean, in general the service manual is the shop manual. The only other factory manual was the users manual and that's probably not what you are looking for.

I can't really recommend a brand as the only modern rotors I have used were cbr929 rotors on GS550 forks which are on my non-running BSA.

As long as the rotor is the same diameter, has the same offset, the same bolt location and size as well as the same center cut out size you should be able to use it.

Brodie said:
I can't really recommend a brand as the only modern rotors I have used were cbr929 rotors on GS550 forks which are on my non-running BSA.

As long as the rotor is the same diameter, has the same offset, the same bolt location and size as well as the same center cut out size you should be able to use it.

What do you think is a good front and rear sprocket set up for my 77. I want to stay within stock...

750Toys said:
Ive been searching for modern ones. what brand do you recommend? links?

EBC makes a kz1000A rear disk that will bolt on but you will also have to switch to the corresponding caliper and MC. very nice, but not cheap. https://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog/product/view/id/7748/s/brake-rotor-kz1000-rear/

I would say the factory final drive ratio (38/16) is pretty good for mostly city driving and highway use, a good blend of economy and power. if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving you could up one tooth on the front, but I don't think you really need to.

doc_rot said:
EBC makes a kz1000A rear disk that will bolt on but you will also have to switch to the corresponding caliper and MC. very nice, but not cheap. https://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog/product/view/id/7748/s/brake-rotor-kz1000-rear/

I would say the factory final drive ratio (38/16) is pretty good for mostly city driving and highway use, a good blend of economy and power. if you plan on doing a lot of highway driving you could up one tooth on the front, but I don't think you really need to.

Thanks for this!!

canyoncarver said:
I'm not sure what you mean, in general the service manual is the shop manual. The only other factory manual was the users manual and that's probably not what you are looking for.

Does anyone know what to do in the case of a crappy VIN tag. Here is mine and you cant see the "KZ" Im hoping the DMV wont hassle me about this. See pic

Attachments

• IMG_9740.jpg
    IMG_9740.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 282
canyoncarver said:
What Brodie said. They shouldn't care, yours' is easy enough to read.

I got it. See below. New problem. PO didnt install ANY filters on the fuel lines. I assume some junk from the tank got in the carbs because they keep dumping fuel. Oh joy. Well, at least I got some good riding in before the carbs REALLY started to dump gas.

Attachments

• IMG_9752 2.jpg
    IMG_9752 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 269
canyoncarver said:
Yes, i had the amals and a pair of half done adapters lying around after messing about with my triumph chop laat year. Zero budget build so no new vm's even if that would be the best option! basically just have to hook up a double pull cable and fuel lines and check it out.

canyoncarver said:
I have two of these twins and really dig them. Parts are not that hard to find.

Have you ever needed to buy a carb rebuild kit? Im trying to locate a dealer to get them to me quickly. Both of my carbs are dumping gas like crazy. The PO didnt install ANY inline filters on my bike. Im assuming some junk got in there.

And would a KZ650 carb kit work on a 750 carb kit?

750Toys said:
Have you ever needed to buy a carb rebuild kit? Im trying to locate a dealer to get them to me quickly. Both of my carbs are dumping gas like crazy. The PO didnt install ANY inline filters on my bike. Im assuming some junk got in there.

And would a KZ650 carb kit work on a 750 carb kit?

No.
VM24s are different compared to BS38s.

Nebr_Rex said:
No.
VM24s are different compared to BS38s.

OK. Have you had any experience with 2 Fast Moto out of Ohio? They sell rebuild kits and are closest to me on the east coast (NJ). I need to have the carbs done by next weekend

750Toys said:
OK. Have you had any experience with 2 Fast Moto out of Ohio? They sell rebuild kits and are closest to me on the east coast (NJ). I need to have the carbs done by next weekend
With some luck you just have goop in the needle valve, but probably not. They are past their use by date since long. There are needle valves for sale on ebay, very pricey though and there are many different types, make sure you get the correct ones.

Back
Top Bottom