BMW R100 Cafe Project, Update

Roffeman

Hi All,

I have been riding late model bikes all my life but due to a back injury I hung up my helmet for a few years. The itch never goes away though and I started playing with older bikes. First I bought a super nice BMW R60/5 but it was too nice to modify. I found an ugly but great running 1977 R100/7.

1977-BMW-R100-slash-7-motorad-e1491855986473.jpg

This bike had definitely been beaten with an ugly stick but it runs great. My plan for this bike was just to ride it over the summer to evaluate it and then I would build something cool. I was actually thinking a bobber style bike.

1977-BMW-R100-slash-7-motorad-farkels-1.jpg

I just could not live with all the farkels so after an evening in the shop, the bike lost close to 75 lbs. Lighter = faster, right?

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-14-e1491856289233.jpg

So here is bike 1.0 and I thought I could live with it for a season...yeah right!

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-34-e1491856369944.jpg

As you know, it is hard to leave things alone. I build hot rods in my other life to I just love to chop, cut and make stuff.
Just to make it a little more exciting, I figured I would just do a quicky budget job on the bike, fix the seat and maybe spray bomb the tank so it looks a little better.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-52.jpg

I shortened the rear hoop and I kept part of the stock front pan as it fits well to the tank but I added a new seat pan to fit the rear frame.
Since I don’t have an English wheel…hell, I don’t even have a Swedish wheel !! so I decided to just create the hump with sheet metal and spend some time hammering in to shape.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-57-e1491857366416.jpg

A little mud, a little primer and we got a pretty good looking tail piece.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-58.jpg

Since I got a new rear end I decided to give the tank some attention as well.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-61-768x576.jpg

The yuge stock battery was located right in the middle of the frame. I would like to open up that area for that minimalistic look.Talk about diet!! The original battery weighs 20 lbs! It is also 17 years old! Maybe time to replace it? The lithium unit on the right is less that half the size and weighs a whopping 3.1 lbs! It is also good for 370 Cold Crank Amps.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-67-768x576.jpg

The plan was just to put a flat paint on the tank and tail hump but the flat clear came out kind of hazy so with nothing to loose I leaned in to it with a buffer.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-71-768x576.jpg

Hey, that looks pretty good.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-76.jpg

After polishing, Mr. Humpty-Dumpty rump looks pretty good as well.

For those of you that are old enough to remember The Fixx’s song “one thing leads to another…that’s just how it goes…one thing leads to another.

BMW-Cafe-Racer-Build-Project-4.jpg

With my new snazzy rear end I could not clutter it up with a fender, tail lite or a license plate so the plate ended up on the axle. The license light will be hidden under the seat.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-24-e1491861086445.jpg

Now the front fender is all the sudden too big. Also, that stainless bracket is totally overkill. So, bring on the diet program again.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-25-e1491861113385.jpg

The fender got a good haircut and I removed everything on the bracket that did not look like a bracket.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-75.jpg

BMW used carriage bolts coming from the underside of the fender with ugly nuts and threads on full display on top of the fender. I reversed that using polished stainless carriage bolt for a smooth look. Besides, shiny stuff make the bike go faster.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-81.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I don’t want to clutter up the rear with a tail light. These are small Harley blinkers. I reworked the inside so it will accept a dual filament bulb. They will be responsible for tail light and stop light function…maybe even double as blinkers to!

Looks like there is a limit on external links in one post? I will add the rest next.

Re: BMW R100 Cafe Project

Naa, it was me that messed up the html code.

Also, forgot to say: Been lurking for a while, learned a lot from you guys.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-Economy-Shortys.jpg

This is a budget build…no need to buy shorty mufflers. I took a hacksaw to the stock mufflers and made economy shortys or as some call them, Poor Man’s Rineharts” These pipes also gave the bike it’s name: “Loud mouth”

BMW-Cafe-Racer-Build-Project-8-e1491861863965.jpg

The rear hump need a snazzy padded area for my rump to land on when I twist the throttle on this 1000 cc German powerhouse!. This is a thin wood board and carriage bolts will hold it in place.

BMW-Cafe-Racer-Build-Project-12-e1491932028556.jpg

Anti-spin! I tacked these thin metal strips to the carriage bolts so they would not spin when I snug up the bolts.

1977-BMW-Cafe-Racer-Build-9.jpg

I used soft 1 inch foam here and wrapped it with black vinyl.

1977-BMW-R100-slash-7-Cafe-Racer-Seat-768x435.jpg

Sorry about the out of focus pic. In retrospect, (there is always retrospect when doing new things) I would have built this seat differently. I would have just made a pan that goes on top of the seat and just covered the pan. Oh well, this is how we learn. At 100 mph it will look just fine.

So how did it come out?

1977-BMW-R100-slash-7-Cafe-Racer-3-768x512.jpg

I think OK for a quicky!

1977-BMW-R100-slash-7-Cafe-Racer-26-768x512.jpg

With a full tank of fuel it weighs 360 lbs! The stock R100 is listed at 478 lbs.

1977-BMW-R100-slash-7-Cafe-Racer-10-768x512.jpg

Mandatory "see thru frame picture" The homemade shortys offers a hard sound with a buffalo fart during shifts and snap, crackle and pop on deceleration. Love it!

1977-BMW-R100-slash-7-Cafe-Racer-21.jpg

The vintage looking tires looks just at home on this bike. It handles great and have tons of power.

Let’s RIDE!

I learned a lot and I am soon ready to build another one.

Anyway, that's my story and I guess I am sticking to it.

I got some more pix on my web site if anyone is interested.

Cafe Build part I: http://classicroad.com/?p=4172
Cafe Build part II: http://classicroad.com/?p=4409
Cafe Build part III: http://classicroad.com/?p=4420

Very nice work! Entertaining read, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It probably feels like you supercharged it after removing 118 lbs!

I like it alot. Nice work man!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome to DTT.
Shes a nifty looking unit. Nice work.

I hate BMWs, but you've done a nice job.

Thanks for kind words.

It was great fun to do. Coming from the hot rod world, one thing that I appreciate is the shorter time it takes to be back on the road. Instant gratisfaction!

Yep... dig it. Just started an R75/7 might have to pick your brain.

Looks great. These airheads really do make a good cafe.

Man, you call it a budget job. This is awesome, hope mine turns close to this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Very nicely done. I'm in the middle of a similar style project and now rethinking using my Thor seat. I just may use a portion of the stock seat as well. You're right, it fits the tank best.

3DogNate said:
Yep... dig it. Just started an R75/7 might have to pick your brain.

I am not an expert by any means but if I can help with anything, just send me a note.

Makes me wish I hadn't sold mine !!!!

Nice job, and love to see budget builds. 8)

BMW R100/7 Cafe Project, update

The summer in the North West has been absolutely perfect for anyone enjoying motorcycles!

I have been busy riding the BMW Cafe bike to the point I have not spent much time working on it.
I am really liking how it handles and the power available mostly because of the serious diet I exposed the bike to.

1977-BMW-R100-cafe-racer-monza-cap-768x1024.jpg

Like any project, there is always room for improvement especially on this bike as it was a quick build. Just in time for the monthly backfire moto meet in Seattle, I got this snazzy Monza style gas cap.

1977-BMW-R100-cafe-racer-monza-cap-2-678x1024.jpg

Made in Germany, it offers excellent fit and finish. It also added about 12 horsepower.

Riding a stripped down bike means that there is no place to put things and I have to at least have some tools, right?

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-1.jpg

I found this tool box at a swap meet, I was told it was from an Honda. It ended up under the seat for now. I may move it to the front of the frame, behind the fork, we’ll see.

BMW-R100-Cafe-Racer-2.jpg

It holds all of the BMW factory tools.

1977-BMW-R100-cafe-racer-old-valve-covers.jpg

I replaced the valve covers with a set of the older style valve covers, they definitely changes the vibe of the bike.

Next…I would like to change the gauges to something more sporty, we’ll see what I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom