Paintitallred CB550 Scrambler Build

Tifun

Indy
I worked out a deal with a buddy I work with to take home this 75 CB550. Overall it's in pretty good shape. It does need some tinkering as with most bike that have sat.

Much like the other Hoodcats we've once again migrated back to crappy old bikes to build with the full intention of making good daily riders with limited over the top mods. The idea is to build a great functional bike that is a blast to ride.

Right off the bat I've already started collecting parts. I've already got enough parts to build almost 2 more bikes so I should be good on extras. First things on my list is to do a valve adjustment, fresh points, swap coils, scour harness, make orange, put SV650 front on, build a backrest and then who knows. After that I can decide a direction.

Here's the pics of how it currently sits.

371e842d61963cb67c88705c7969636b.jpg

70d01c4335e07866568aaa0e55d02e54.jpg

4898a5d1f13034a3488ccadd374cd6ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Paintitallred CB550

Nice! How do you like that receiver bike holder? Was thinking about getting one for my truck as it's a pain loading a bike in the back of a truck solo if it's not running.

Also, I have a bunch of CB550 stuff for sale if any interests you:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73012.0

Thanks!

Paintitallred CB550

irk miller said:
Nice. No more HD?

Sold it off a few weeks ago. As with tradition, I will have a new bike every year at the Thaw haha.

GV1390 said:
Nice! How do you like that receiver bike holder? Was thinking about getting one for my truck as it's a pain loading a bike in the back of a truck solo if it's not running.

Also, I have a bunch of CB550 stuff for sale if any interests you:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73012.0

Thanks!
The holder did great and has done great for a long time. Good tool to have. As for parts, between the rest of the indykids we have almost enough to build 4 bikes haha. If we run short on anything I'll keep you posted. If you have a backrest let me know though. Wife wants one again.

I'm in. Neat points cover on that 550. Any idea where it came from?

canyoncarver said:
I'm in. Neat points cover on that 550. Any idea where it came from?
No clue. It's coming off though.

canyoncarver said:
I like it. If it's not spoken for, I'd take it off your hands. Pm me if so.
If I have an extra spare stock one you can have it for the cost of shipping. I need to check my parts bins but I may take the one off the spare motor which this would have to replace if I don't have a spare. I'll keep you up to date when I start messing with the bike.

Partially orange. Painting sides covers this weekend. Hopefully.
eb45decbc91bb21a287419c6fecfd6d1.jpg

Tifun said:
If I have an extra spare stock one you can have it for the cost of shipping. I need to check my parts bins but I may take the one off the spare motor which this would have to replace if I don't have a spare. I'll keep you up to date when I start messing with the bike.

Thank you. Mine is in pieces but I do have a thing for the cb550.

Currently in process of doing valves and timing along with redoing the harness to sort out a gremlin that is popping the 15a fuse. Attempting to start may not happen this weekend. Maybe Sunday will work depending of progress.

a2beb9d4acd2ff0777d7362215766804.jpg

Paintitallred CB550

Picked up some new to me shocks.

384507d0b7d6673dd46e6034ee566108.jpg

Also pulled the ignition plate and advancer off the sore engine. Hopefully it will be running tomorrow.

ccd421718c1b8dff197b163a0464b008.jpg

b88ceecbcf671e8c812d5298124fd38a.jpg

0bb83eddf60c786a5c5c07491249fff0.jpg

Ordered new tires today in hopes to participate in the Kentucky Dakar at the Thaw.
5ee7517fbd56fbc1d2e09d37e20bcb06.jpg
f377c2dfa165ea01fc78330cff84ed8c.jpg

Next are bars. I'll go look at some tomorrow and may make a decision.

I have those same tires waiting to be installed on my CB500.

:)

Paintitallred CB550

GV1390 said:
I have those same tires waiting to be installed on my CB500.

:)
Nice! Hopefully mine show up. I installed our tire changer outside handy hut over the weekend.
2a1bbc71e8f08da9a426e4e8b338f348.jpg

Paintitallred CB550

Indykids may be weird as hell but we are a good group of dudes. My buddy came over tonight and wrenched for me. He managed to get it to start which was a huge step. Carbs need completely gone through. An idle jet was completely clogged. There also seems to be an issue where fuel isn't reaching the bowl of another. But. It did idle smooth and sounded great. A little more labor and it should be running in tip top shape.

Edit: I tried to upload a video. I guess that feature is no longer available using Tapatalk :/

Tifun said:
Edit: I tried to upload a video. I guess that feature is no longer available using Tapatalk :/

Tim got a DTT app. Use that instead. Or upload to YouTube and link, which is what i usually do.

irk miller said:
Tim got a DTT app. Use that instead. Or upload to YouTube and link, which is what i usually do.
Downloading now.

Back
Top Bottom