Deacon's CB350

Re: Deacon's 1972 CB350 Cafe Project

Guess I was following this thread without ever posting, didn't get a notice of replies.
GREAT JOB so far, keep it up I will be watching the rear sets and you're right, those clip ons are SWEET!
Haffta check them out on Roc City

You should hook ROC up with that photo. From the photos he originally showed I wasnt turned on by his clipons. Though they look rad in that photo. You sold me on em for a next build.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Guess I was following this thread without ever posting, didn't get a notice of replies

Ditto for me. I'll be watching for sure now. Keep it up!

I agree Curbcast, the pic of the clipons on the Roc City site doesn't do them justice, so much nicer looking in person. I highly endorse them, can't wait to stick them on to see how they feel. Will also allow me to see if the placement I have for the rearsets is going to be comfortable too before I sink much time into them.

I am keen to see them on as I am really leaning toward them for my build.

As much as I like my new Gladius, I really really miss the riding position of a cafe, so this got me thinking...why not have both...on the same bike :D

Threw the clipons last night so I can get an idea on what kind of tank and seat proportions I can go with, and found it funny to see the bike with two sets of bars on it. Just need to hook up redundant controls and I'll be ready to take it racing or go for a cruise :D :D Please don't take this seriously, I just have the stock bars on for now to make it easier to move the bike around.

bars.jpg

bars2.jpg

Close up of the Roc City clipons, I love them. This is the first time I've had them on the bike and the position and feel is great.

clipOnsMockup.jpg

where is she????!! I hate that damn 30 day warning on builds as good as this! Give the public what it needs!!

bob.

I think Deacon spends more time on Hondatwins. I know there's a thread for this build over there. check it out.

'Cause HondaTwins is a little more bike specific, good job posting on DTT Deacon. Shout out coming from Ontario!

I'm still here, but unfortunately haven't touched the bike in quite a while. Haven't been able to get the time recently to spend with it. Have some things on the go at home/work (all good) that are not leaving me with much free time or money. I was a bit depressed about not being able to get any work done, but it was actually good. The extra time away has allowed me to finalize some different things in my head regarding the bike, like things I was undecided about, how to do different items, etc. I'm sure we're all like it; if we're not physically doing work on the bike, we're still daydreaming about it. ;D

I'm also over on hondatwins.net but keep both threads updated, except where there are twin related issues that I'm trying to resolve. I'll post them over there since its their main focus and there is a lot of twin expertise over there.

Hopefully it won't be long before my next update.

Not really an update but more of a review. I've worked with fiberglass before a few times but always using polyester resin. It's very easy and forgiving to work with but I always found it a bit messy due to its stickiness and oh the smell. I personally don't mind the smell of it, but when your garage is attached to your house its not good. Well, I tried my hand at using epoxy resin tonight and love it. No odour and extremely easy to work with. Only thing that I don't really like about it is the long curing time. My garage is a bit cool and the setup time was pretty long, especially compared to polyester where you can manipulate the catalyst. I'll still use polyester for making larger molds to keep costs down, but epoxy will now be used for everything else.

Working on my first ever mold now, hopefully it will come out alright.

Compared to my last project (CB400T) this project is going at a snail's pace, not getting the time to spend on it. :( With the work I do I spend a lot of time in front of a computer, so I put that to some use and think I have the final look I want worked out.

mockup2.jpg

I'm hoping to make a few peices for this bike out of composites. I've worked with fiberglass before but mainly just one-off pieces just glassing over foam. They turned out ok, but this time I want to try creating a mold first so the final pieces can be a bit lighter. I've never done it before so I'm hoping it'll turn out ok.

Before tackling the seat I decided to try a smaller, more simple part...the front fender. I first glassed over the stock front fender to get the general shape and curvature, then shaped it to the look I wanted. I'm not totally finished shaping/smoothing the plug yet but not much more work to do. Hoping to attempt the mold shortly. Its taking quite a bit of time to shape the plug since I suck at body filler :cry:

Also, this is my first time using epoxy resin. I've only used polyester before, man what a difference. I find the epoxy so easy to work with. Normally, I'd rather use the poly for making the plug and mold since its quite a bit cheaper, but my garage is within the house and the fumes from polyester goes right through the house. :?

Stock fender taped:
frontFenderPlugTape.jpg

Couple of layers of glass:
frontFenderPlugGlass.jpg

Part way through the shaping process:
frontFenderPlug.jpg

Almost there, just need to fine tune a bit then I'll be ready to make the mold. I have some primer on it at this point to make it easier to see the imperfections.
frontFenderPlugMounted.jpg

frontFenderPlugMounted2.jpg

Nice work! I really like the look of that fender mate.

Thanks chilli. I like it but not 100% happy with it, almost seems too organic, I think the Gladius style is rubbing off on me :D

So, I quickly drew out a curve and painted it black to simulate the look I want. I'm liking this iteration more. Going to investigate the possibility of somehow modifying the fork brace to lower the fender a tad. Seems to be a bit high. Either that, or a bigger front tire :D Will work on modifying the plug now and hopefully have it ready to create the mold next weekend.

frontFenderPlugComparison.jpg

I like the second one for sure, a little lower to the tire.

ohhh, nice, i Like alot, although I think I am more for the first one... maybe it is cause the second one looks too high up. I just really like how the first one lines up nicely with the brace, and has just the right hint of modern vs vintage...

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. I decided to trim it down like in the second pic (actually just came out of the garage from trimming it), looks better. The bracket is definitely going to need some work to lower the fender, sits way too high. Will have to wait until I get a welder.

Just have a bit more body filler and smoothing to do and then I can work on paint and polish to get it ready to mold.

That fender looks great, Deacon! I agree about the second one looking better, and that epoxy is so much nicer to work with, in every way really.

Ringo said:
That fender looks great, Deacon! I agree about the second one looking better, and that epoxy is so much nicer to work with, in every way really.
Thanks Ringo. Yeah, I really like the epoxy, much nicer to work with. Only thing is the cost. When I start in on the seat, I'm thinking of using poly for the plug and mold just to keep the cost down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom