FZR600 Neo-Cafe

Frame now totally stripped. Looks as if it's been various colours over the years. Still, It's straight and true, virtually rust free, so no complaints. Seems that a P.O. has filled the indents on the frame spars to made them smooth. Looks like they've done a tidy job so I'll leave it be.

Time for rubbing and prepping, paint in the next week or so.

Attachments

• WP_20160915_17_12_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160915_17_12_19_Pro.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 312
Frame rubbed down and primed. Primer rubbed down again today, now ready for paint in the week.

Also rubbed down the rear wheel ready for paint. Once the frame is painted I want the back end, forks and wheels back on the bike so I've got a rolling chassis. All the rear end hardware, shock, knuckle, linkages, spacers, torque arm etc are painted and ready to go.

So now a waiting game of several days while I wait for the paint to be delivered.

Been deliberating what to do with the wheels. Ideally I would like them powder coated, but I'm on a tight budget and I'd like the save the pennies for things I can't do without or work around, such as new pistons or a pro rebuild of the head.

After much mulling and Googling of the problem I decided to spray them with bed liner. Cheap, tough, easy to touch in if damaged, and the thick nature of the coating hides minor imperfections.

I got hold of two cans of fine bed liner and started tonight. Looks fantastic, lime a slightly textured powder coat. I'm cuffed to bits. I owe you guys some pictures so I'll show them off when I get a moment at the weekend.

You may want to consider the bedliner for the frame too. I have read it is good and would tie in with the wheels.

Back wheel finished. Looks superb. Going to do the disc rotor in the same stuff, seeing as I bought 2 x cans and the wheel barely used half of one. Pics as promised at the weekend ;)

Thanks Maritime. I'm chuffed to bits - the coat is crisp and even. You'd never know it wasn't powder coated, it's that tidy a finish.

I can see it needing a soft brush and a bucket of soapy water to get the dirt off. A spray wax and a rag won't cut it here!

And today I have painted the frame. I've carefully closed the shed door and i'll not disturb now for at least 24hrs to keep the dust down. I'll venture in tomorrow afternoon and sneak some pictures.

I did seriously consider the bed liner for the frame, but went with plan A and the hammered finish I had originally decided upon.

The visible parts such as the frame spars were sprayed, the areas that will be hidden by seat or bodywork, such as the sub frame, were hand painted with a final coat sprayed on.

I really should have left the frame to dry for longer, but couldn't resist some reassembly today, being very mindful of the still green paint.

Attachments

• WP_20160926_18_08_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160926_18_08_43_Pro.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 288
I know not why the pictures are rotated 90 degrees anti clockwise.

Attachments

• WP_20160926_18_08_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160926_18_08_58_Pro.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 295
When I can get some time in a proper pooter i'll re post these via Photobucket, get them them right way up.

Attachments

• WP_20160926_18_08_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160926_18_08_30_Pro.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 307
The finish is a little gauche for my tastes, but the silhouette is close to what I'm aiming for.

Attachments

• bikepics-1030517-full.jpg
    bikepics-1030517-full.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 300
Back
Top Bottom