Arieon's CM400T Project

arieon69

Well guys later on today is the big day! I get my bike and frames, though I do have another one in line. I mean come on, 3 bikes basically $300. Total. One runs, the other two are already tore down to the frame. One frame is nice and glossed.

But guys... Big Problem. Well not really a problem.... But seeing all of your projects, make me wanna scoop up all the cheap ones I can find.

IE this one for $125 OBO.... Tell me not to do it. Please. Almost bought a Magna for $200 but only because I thought it was a CB750. The ad only said 750. I'll end up swamped with bikes. In a love shack of a garage. BUT I could buy, customize, and sell until one stuck with my heart all the way in it... Tell me not to do this... My overtime completely covers the cost of this foolishness... lol I'm hyping myself up. Can you tell?

00W0W_7OdmAEaOWZ7_600x450.jpg

Here's some pics from the ad , of the bikes I'm picking up today, just to give you an idea of where this project is starting. Because once they're here and the weekend is upon me, I'm going to forget to take pictures. I'll be busy looking for front end swaps and sketching out drawings. On the second one, I'm going to try out fiberglassing. The one that runs will be left as it is... Since it runs. But I'll be head deep in an engine this weekend. Got my shop manual... I'm super excited. Guys thanks for the motivation. The running one, I'll be waiting on my Vermont registration lol. Anyways...

Attachments

• framepic.jpg
    framepic.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 282
  • secondframe.jpg
    secondframe.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,044
  • engines.jpg
    engines.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 291
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 976
Re: Arieon's Addiction PRESS START: CM400T

It is an addiction. You're screwed. :)

Re: Arieon's Addiction PRESS START: CM400T

So I want to get all these spare engines check out. It's only two lol. The one that he removed that was previously running was removed due to needing the top end redone. We didn't go much into what exactly happened, think there was mention of a rattle. But in any case, instead of rebuilding, I could swap over the top from one of the others. Given they're good.

Things I need to check:
1: That the engines aren't locked up
2: Compression
3: Possibly try to start up (How do I go about it? Engines are out and sitting ATM)

So today, I decided to have a look at the 3 Engines I have. Note that one is unseen because it is disassembled, in a tote. I did look at it however. Looks like these was a head gasket issue. One cylinders valves are corroded the other is just carbon-strickened. Same deal with the pistons. Looking at the cylinder walls, they could use a nice hone. There aren't any deep pits in them or anything. However the underside in the middle of the chain drive, there is a nick (I'll have to take a picture later). It's either from incorrectly prying or the chain itself. Nonetheless, it'll be preparing for a full rebuild. That way I'll know what's what.

I opened the valve cover to Engine A. Everything looks good. There isn't a lot of oil in it, I checked the stick. I'll let some oil run down and then see about hand turning it. But it looks like it could be in pretty decent shape. Maybe needing a light rebuild. But I won't know until I completely tear into it.

I oped the valve cover to Engine B. Now this one, I believe was running when pulled. Smells of gas and oil. Not stinky gas either, looks like is was just down for an oil change prior to removing it from the bike. Oil level is great. Nice color to it. This is the one I want to actually run.

Now my question is, how do I go about doing that? The carbs aren't on it and I'd prefer an easy route of just spraying with starting fluid to see if it'lll run. What wire need to be where? Once I'm sure it may run, it'll undergo a light rebuild as I begin planning out these two frames.

Bike number 3 shall be obtained later today. Or at least that is my hope.

You don't have carbs or exhaust mounted and you're trying to start it? At least that's what it looks like anyways.

Those lil bastards are fun bikes around our downtown area and even out in the woods!!!

Here's one we did out stuff laying around the shop. Just an informal bike build for a good friend and helps out around the shop.

I want to pull it apart again and do it proper but I gotta find the time .....

Attachments

• track+or+die.jpg
    track+or+die.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 258
  • trracker.jpg
    trracker.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 252
I have since attached and removed and attached again the exhaust lol. I've also tried attaching the carbs. Fingers were freezing in 16 degree weather. But I'm working it. I've always thought of bike to be similar to cars. As long as there is spark, you can start it with just starting fluid. But since they need to be reattached any way, I've went ahead and started to put them back on. Can't wait till the garage is finished. I'll have HEAT!
My fave rascal!
126689d1482169392-starting-up-engine-cm400-imag0252.jpg

Stripped bike pics
126673d1482169383-starting-up-engine-cm400-imag0247.jpg

126681d1482169388-starting-up-engine-cm400-imag0249.jpg

My Extra Frame

Attachments

• IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 236
So as we know, I'm trying to get the exhaust back on... Well here is the thing. I got the studs from my local dealer and everything is great. BUT on this one the second side has on part that I'm assuming got stripped and the other just got messed up so I don't know what to do. Pics will follow shortly. Gotta run back outside and snap some.

Okay not sure if you can really see, but the bottom part is nonexistent for a bolt to be placed and the top part doesn't have a thread there at all. I don't know what happened nor what to do to fix this. Help, please?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using DO THE TON mobile app

Attachments

• 1482433522887.jpg
    1482433522887.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 845
Kinda hard to stay motivated about a build when you can barely gauge an audience. But question...

How does one relocate the shocks? I want to move them to the curve of the frame.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using DO THE TON mobile app

Regarding the exhaust stud issue, I would use parts from one of the other motors. In order to repair those stud mounts, you would probably want to remove the head and take it to a good machine shop to have welded up and redrilled.

Makes more sense to just use one you already have. One motor is probably going to donate for the others to be runners.

One of those pictures shows the carbs mounted upside down. I don't think it will run like that.

Not real hard to relocate the shock mounts. Do you have access to a welder? Be aware, you will be altering suspension function and bike geometry. Will probably need different length shocks.

I want to move the shocks for a more aggressive stance, like this:

MTM4NjE5NTQxNDY1OTk4NzU5.jpg

Unfortunately I'm worried my minimum metal working skills will be against me trying to build the similar seat pan. NerdSports has done it, what seems like countless of times. It'll be fiberglassed to get it run over on the side like that. Even still I will be bending some metal to hide electronics. ::) Kinda looking forward to it, kinda not.

finally got a good idea for what I'm going to do as far as my shock mounting situation. After much research, I've decided to go with a Katana swing arm for a monoshock set up. I'll be tasked with figuring out how to keep my Comstar wheels but, for me, this seems like a great direction to head. Any input anyone has would be great and appreciated. Also, when I was hammering scallops in my tank, to my surprise it was thick in bondo. Like there was so much of it. I'm also looking for a new tank.

As for one of my engines, the one for my second frame, the carb bolt was snapped off in the head. So I'm presently in the process of drilling it out and re-tapping it. I've got some unipods on the way for both. Slowly moving along.

Back
Top Bottom