Newbie's '84 V65 Sabre

Sugarkryptonite

Hey guys

New to the forum and to the bike world...I picked this project up in the early spring. I've had this on a couple other forums so I'll just post all the pictures of my progress here.

Some pics after I picked it up:

wz2Warp.jpg

X28U2Xc.jpg

9ffOERW.jpg

hE2oZzF.jpg

mSMyTEI.jpg

8HXJhrq.jpg

hAQynvz.jpg

5IN7rDu.jpg

WBTAjHH.jpg

jvrQND4.jpg

cfIFles.jpg

iQzyipI.jpg

Cuyu4SD.jpg

V3sjvxW.jpg

T60mx8H.jpg

EhHF712.jpg

bpi6PMy.jpg

oJgG8EB.jpg

cm1eUVn.jpg

s0csTbA.jpg

XNm8U8d.jpg

TZxqD2y.jpg

UGnKMtY.jpg

iFEi06E.jpg

SLvU3Id.jpg

txMAVUC.jpg

F8n1ajJ.jpg

wKFpOG9.jpg

V3iOkuj.jpg

LRPO8eC.jpg

02Nrs2O.jpg

lUcTw8O.jpg

Then taking her apart again for the winter build...

Z0HycRC.jpg

mNJUSQ7.jpg

Dad made my spacers the tops of the forks. Waiting to hear back from the machine shop now, then make the spacers for the bottoms. A few pics:

a3pBu0q.jpg

VlbQyd3.jpg

PDl7tfR.jpg

Took the rear end of the bike apart. Little shot of my dad's project as well.

e8kvJFp.jpg

BFhiqo4.jpg

P80EcB3.jpg

Wi3t8fg.jpg

Suffice it to say this project is going to have a lot more progress very soon...involving the USD R1 front end, and possibly a red seat...stay tuned!

That's a cool bike, I've always liked how the engine looks. Unfortunatelly, this model is not popular platform for modification. What od your idea for this bike?

Wysłane z tostera

GoCrazy said:
That's a cool bike, I've always liked how the engine looks. Unfortunatelly, this model is not popular platform for modification. What od your idea for this bike?

Wysłane z tostera

Hey

You're right about them not being popular for modification...I've noticed that most of the people who own these bikes (even the ones that post on the forums) like to keep their bikes completely stock, or with only minor modifications.

I've only seen one other V65 with an inverted front end swap, so in my eyes this will be the 2nd. I just purchased my seat yesterday so have to wait a while until that gets here...it's a cafe type seat.

Also plan to clean everything up, paint, new round headlight, new fuse box, clean up the wiring, fix the starter clutch, maybe some exhaust work, reposition the shifter and brake pedals + custom linkages, etc.

GoCrazy said:
This is the coolest build do far

Wysłane z tostera

Yea that one is cool! Although that is a V45, not a 65.

Here is one that I saw that was really nice. The only V65 I've seen modified in this way.

kB3bRLV.jpg

Some more progress prepping today...took the exhaust off, got rid of most of the corrosion on the engine clutch cover, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations on engine paint that looks good for a long time?

X78vSLW.jpg

6Ocsbbd.jpg

6bo7ggh.jpg

you are aware a red seat will make it faster aren't you?

have a trawl thru the paint topics on here for tips on engine paint, lots of options though will work best if you pull the cases apart to clean and prep properly

spotty said:
you are aware a red seat will make it faster aren't you?

have a trawl thru the paint topics on here for tips on engine paint, lots of options though will work best if you pull the cases apart to clean and prep properly

;D ;D

Thanks. I won't be taking the engine apart this year, so this is just gonna be a quick-but-decently-done paint job!

As for engine paint, VHT seems to do the job. One of my friends uses a spray gun paint that is also heat resistant, it's made by Sikkens but i don't know if this brand is avaliable in USA.

Wysłane z tostera

Motor looks great!

Any tips for spraying a motor fully together as such? Did you do anything over the gaskets? I'm thinking about doing mine when it's out of the frame as well. I don't need a full rebuild at the moment so I wasn't planning on splitting all the cases.

Cheers

BigNickel said:
Motor looks great!

Any tips for spraying a motor fully together as such? Did you do anything over the gaskets? I'm thinking about doing mine when it's out of the frame as well. I don't need a full rebuild at the moment so I wasn't planning on splitting all the cases.

Cheers

Hey

• Degrease complete engine, use small brushes, anything you can to get the grime off
  • Sand the engine using something like 400 grit sandpaper (I didn't sand too hard in areas that are visible like the covers, etc, because the sandpaper could be too aggressive and scratch the aluminum too much, which would be visible after painting)
  • Scuff up harder to reach areas with Scotchbrite pads (I used red ones)
  • Use wax and grease remover on the entire engine. My method is to spray it on the engine in a spray bottle, then wipe it with one rag, then use another clean rag to wipe it again. You're not suppose to let the stuff dry on whatever you're painting but eh...it's not so easy, so just make sure it's clean.
  • Mask everything you don't want painted, including exhaust studs, valve covers, etc. I also put paper towel bunched up until any open holes like coolant passages or the intake/exhaust ports.
  • Double check to make sure everything is clean
  • Spray the paint. I did two lighter coats then one medium coat (did a second medium coat on the covers to make it look nice).

As for the gaskets, I did mask the valve cover gaskets using tape. As for any other gaskets on the engine, no I didn't mask them off. There's not that many visible seals on this engine.

VFMdC3F.jpg

I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel in the gloss black color. Wanted the VHT but they didn't have any at the store. The Duplicolor worked fine for me so far.

Some pics of the homemade oven my dad built that I'll be using next week when it warms up.

xwycFvR.jpg

4Gd3Rta.jpg

I may be wrong, but Duplicolor and VHT are two brands of the same manufacturer. Nice oven :) I used a big carton box coated with aluminum foil insulation sheets for the heat box and two heatguns as for the source of "power".

Wysłane z tostera

GoCrazy said:
I may be wrong, but Duplicolor and VHT are two brands of the same manufacturer. Nice oven :) I used a big carton box coated with aluminum foil insulation sheets for the heat box and two heatguns as for the source of "power".

Wysłane z tostera

You're right, but it has been said before they're not the same formulation. Even says on the cans the curing procedure it different for each. I think VHT is 200f for 1 hour, and Dupli is 300f for 2 hours

Finally got the extenders back from the machine shop today. Already rebuilt one of the forks with new seal and dust boot. Hopefully will make the shock extenders soon to finish these up.

KepQLEW.jpg

q3XWs12.jpg

Well put the engine in the oven last night finally. Unfortunately, around 250 degrees, a bit of oil leaked out of the engine from somewhere (maybe the seal where the wires come out on the clutch cover), and ruined the paint on the clutch cover. Rest of the engine seems to be fine, though. I need to take the clutch cover off anyway to fix the starter clutch so I'll repaint it when I take it off.

On the plus side I got both fork seals done on the R1 forks. Just waiting on an M12x1.25 tap now to make the shock extenders.

RIWygHF.jpg

Well quite a bit more progress...but still nothing major yet. My dad's been hard at the machining, making a bunch of custom parts for the fork conversion. Also repainted my clutch cover because of the "mishap". Waiting on an M12x1.25 tap to finish up the fork extenders and should be able to bolt them on this week.

The work bench:

UzN4zfq.jpg

New steering stem in progress vs. R1 stem:

970CS5S.jpg

Fork extenders at the top:

3WMcMzo.jpg

Shock extensions:

IVSzHGE.jpg

Open engine workbench:

Fj0naOk.jpg

Freshly painted cover v2:

ROdZRZr.jpg

8ebqSCw.jpg

New outer races installed top and bottom to accept the new forks:

tzw2se9.jpg

Also noticed that the clip ons I had were different side to side...thought that would look kinda dumb...so searched for a set of OEM ones from another bike (didn't want some eBay ones...). Ended up finding these and buying them tonight. From a 2008 Daytona 675...$50 shipped...hopefully they work out.

n2IPCGA.jpg

More progress end of this week!

Got a bunch of parts in today. Headlight, clipons, throttle assembly, seat, and seat hoop. Also got some rod ends for the custom shifter and rear brake linkages.

Also got the starter clutch rebuilt and new clutch cover gasket on.

New pic of the engine with new paint on the clutch cover since the last time where it got damaged.

CEGIOLw.jpg

kxlGqqV.jpg

PCTAEVN.jpg

KPR9phu.jpg

c2dn7Z2.jpg

juhKoMb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom