Looking for a really cheap bike! <400cc THE $500 CHALLENGE!! **BIKE FOUND!!!**

Tugboat

'76 CB750F + '76 KZ400 + '83 CB1000 + '76 CL112.5
The $500 24-Hour Challenge!

How far can our team go in 24 hours on a bike that costs us less than $500? I’m aiming to find out this coming May. My team is going up against four others in a mad dash around Nashville that will test our riding ability, our wits and our mechanical skills.

So we’re looking to buy a bike for around $300 since we’ll have to replace some stuff. Rules dictate that it needs to be under 400cc. If pre-1984, it doesn’t need to have a title. It also doesn’t need to have good brakes or tires, or look decent. Tank can be rusty or dented, battery can be missing, chain can be rusty… It doesn’t even need to run in its current state! I’d like to avoid having to get into the motor though. And it would be great if it were less than 500 miles from Nashville, TN. Got something (or know of something) that fits the bill?

Potential candidates:
Ninja 250
CM400
CB400
XS400
KZ400
GS400
GN400
CB360
CB350

Looking for a really cheap bike! <400cc THE $500 CHALLENGE!!

So.....how do I participate in said challenge?

Re: Looking for a really cheap bike! <400cc THE $500 CHALLENGE!!

24 hours of Lemons for bikes!

Sounds like a great time to me.

Best of luck...

to bad the cut off is 400 cc do i have a bunch of untiltled cx500s

In areas I've seen do these, MB5's rule. The trick is to get a small bore bike that'll basically run on urine. 24hrs is tuff on any bike, the MB5's run at 10k all day unstressed. It doesn't matter if your bike runs 100 m.p.h. if it dies in an hour...

Bump. Still looking guys!!

Tugboat said:
Bump. Still looking guys!!

Does the price include parts? or can you use parts you have at no cost?

Parts & repairs (excluding tires & brakes) are included in the $500 limit - which is why we need something for around $350.

So far we've actually looked at three bikes - XS400, CM400, CB360.. none have been contenders. Have had leads on several others but they've either been too far away or have sold by the time we've been able to head out to look at them. We're still looking fellas!! And we're the only team that doesn't have a bike yet. TICKTOCKTICKTOCK!!!

Tugboat said:
So far we've actually looked at three bikes - XS400, CM400, CB360.. none have been contenders. Have had leads on several others but they've either been too far away or have sold by the time we've been able to head out to look at them. We're still looking fellas!! And we're the only team that doesn't have a bike yet. TICKTOCKTICKTOCK!!!

Let me ask... Is this going to be on a track??? If not, maybe time to start looking at old dirt bikes, or if it's going to be on the streets maybe start look at old enduro's. I see old Yamaha's all the time for reasonable. I just turned one down a few weeks back for $300. A 250 with lights. Simple, fast and probably in a lot better shape than most people are going to show up with. Like I say, I've seen several stories where small bikes have won these, not on speed, but just pure endurance. Being able to run 24 hrs. without breaking is actually quite a feat... Time to start thinking outside the box...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4305122969.html

Sounds like a sweet gig! I think we will all love to see pic's and updates on the bike/race!!

ApriliaBill said:
Let me ask... Is this going to be on a track??? If not, maybe time to start looking at old dirt bikes, or if it's going to be on the streets maybe start look at old enduro's. I see old Yamaha's all the time for reasonable. I just turned one down a few weeks back for $300. A 250 with lights. Simple, fast and probably in a lot better shape than most people are going to show up with. Like I say, I've seen several stories where small bikes have won these, not on speed, but just pure endurance. Being able to run 24 hrs. without breaking is actually quite a feat... Time to start thinking outside the box...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4305122969.html

I was thinking the same thing - a 400cc 2 stroke dirt bike will whip anything 4 stroke in that capacity.

BTW - I think that KZ in the link is a 440 which means it doesn't qualify.

hillsy said:
I was thinking the same thing - a 400cc 2 stroke dirt bike will whip anything 4 stroke in that capacity.

BTW - I think that KZ in the link is a 440 which means it doesn't qualify.

Find a set of KZ400 badges, if you ain't cheatin, you ain't racin.... Sorry, I didn't pay closer attention. But I think you might be on the right trail. A bangin single might be the trick...

^Totally. I'm now on the hunt for an XL250 or the like. Single, mechanical carb w/ no rubber diaphragm to go bad, lightweight, etc. A couple of guys on my team are 6'2"-3" so it might be a little small for them, but hey - they should have found a bigger bike! :)

Yeah, at this point I feel that if we found a 400cc something we'd be in contention; but for now I'll just be happy to have a bike that will run the whole time.

I have a 360 I'd sell you cheap, but its rough, in pieces, and I don't have any wheels for it.
It does run though.

Thanks, but for the price we pretty much need a 90-95% complete bike. Just one wheel would put us over-budget.

Figured as much but it's sitting here if you decide you need it.
You guys are welcome to my shop as well if you need to blast or powder or tig etc once you find a bike

There's an sr250 on cl at the moment for 650. I'm sure you could talk him down.
Not a fast bike but dead reliable and super simple to work on

SONIC. said:
I have a 360 I'd sell you cheap, but its rough, in pieces, and I don't have any wheels for it.
It does run though.

Just curious.....how cheap?

Tugboat said:
^Totally. I'm now on the hunt for an XL250 or the like. Single, mechanical carb w/ no rubber diaphragm to go bad, lightweight, etc. A couple of guys on my team are 6'2"-3" so it might be a little small for them, but hey - they should have found a bigger bike! :)

Yeah, at this point I feel that if we found a 400cc something we'd be in contention; but for now I'll just be happy to have a bike that will run the whole time.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/4341320327.html

Back
Top Bottom