WTB a title!

Crazy the hoops you guys have to jump through. Here in Utah you just do the lost or missing title paperwork. It's easy peazy, had to do it for my bike

Yep bugger all that title stuff. Over here if you have a bill of sale and a safety certificate your golden. Provided it isn't reported stolen.

After it is registered in your name only you can unrego or transfer the rego. Also no annual safety certs in the state I live in.

1sttimer said:
Ok this is the Vermont way. It really is the easiest thing possible. Just got on the phone with them. Follow these steps exactly:

1. Go to the VT DMV website and download form TA-VD-119. Print it out and have it in front of you.

2. Call the main office at the VT DMV and tell them that you want to register your bike through the post. They could give a crap you live in a different state. It's pretty much free money for them.

Edit: call the Montpelier location at 802-828-2000. They are very friendly.

3. On the phone, ask them what sections of the form you need to fill out. They will ask you really easy questions to figure out what you're trying to do. Just tell them you're trying to register your motorcycle. They'll tell you from there what to fill out.

4. Tell them the make and model of your bike. They will ask you how much you paid for it. They will look up your bike in a big book of vintage bikes and tell you the book value. They charge you about 6% of that number plus the tag fee. Mine ended up being $96 and some change.

5. Ask them where to mail the form. I can't remember the address off my head.

6. Fill out the form the way they tell you, and all of the sections they tell you to. You will not fill out all the sections most likely.

7. Put the filled out form, a check with the amount they tell you and a copy of your bill of sale in the mail.

8. 5 days later you will receive your plate in the mail. A few days after that you will receive a transferable bill of sale and registration.

They won't provide you a title. That's not what it's about I don't think. They don't title motorcycles over 15 years old or something anyway. They provide you a "transferable registration." You take this to your local DMV, tell them you have a Vermont transferable registration and insurance and "would like to pay your taxes and get your bike registered in your state."

Think of it this way. Someone buys a bike in Vermont and didn't get a title. He/She moves to a title state, goes to the DMV and tries to register in the new state. What are they going to do? Tell him no and that he can't do it? Tell him he has to sell his bike because there is nothing they can do? No, not at all. There has to be a provision. Whether or not your DMV understands this is the problem. One DMV location in my state has no idea what they are doing and feel I'm trying to pull a fast one over on them. Another DMV in the next town is more than happy to do it. Just got to call around and ask questions.

Hope that helps.

Greyson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the step-by-step on this! I'm buying a 350F and the guy has been looking for the title for 3 weeks -- he's got an old shop and has mountains of paperwork. He's only dropped our agreed upon price by $100 since he can't (yet) find the title (but is continuing to look for it), but it sounds like I can get a VT reg. for about that much (and I want the bike). And he's got someone in NH who is offering the same and wants it too, but I get first dibs. I'll give him another 2 weeks after I pick up the bike, then I'm following these steps. I'll let you know how it goes. I've gotten an MA title on a RI bike that only had registration, so I know that shouldn't be a problem.

I've bought a couple of frames with titles from Utah, bit expensive with shipping but saved so much hassle I thought it was worth it

carnivorous chicken said:
Appreciate the step-by-step on this! I'm buying a 350F and the guy has been looking for the title for 3 weeks -- he's got an old shop and has mountains of paperwork. He's only dropped our agreed upon price by $100 since he can't (yet) find the title (but is continuing to look for it), but it sounds like I can get a VT reg. for about that much (and I want the bike). And he's got someone in NH who is offering the same and wants it too, but I get first dibs. I'll give him another 2 weeks after I pick up the bike, then I'm following these steps. I'll let you know how it goes. I've gotten an MA title on a RI bike that only had registration, so I know that shouldn't be a problem.

I hear ya. Post up the process. The VT part is pretty solid, but I'm curious about the back end. You're in Mass.?

Yep, Boston area. I got a title on an RI bike with the most recent registration and bill of sale no problem. And I've found that some RMVs (DMVs) have people with sticks up their asses and others are friendlier and easier to deal with. I'm picking up the bike thurs and gonna give the guy a little more time to find the title (well, I guess depending on how he seems when I pick it up -- if I get the feeling that he's not gonna look anymore, I'm gonna do this right away).

Waited my two weeks, guy still hasn't found the title, so I just talked to the VT DMV folks. Printed the form, filled out what they told me to, enclosed the bill of sale, and I mailed it off. Crossing my fingers. It was $44 for registration and $30 for tax for a 1973 CB350F. Will report back when I either get my registration or whatever else happens next...

Waited my two weeks, guy still hasn't found the title, so I just talked to the VT DMV folks. Printed the form, filled out what they told me to, enclosed the bill of sale, and I mailed it off. Crossing my fingers. It was $44 for registration and $30 for tax for a 1973 CB350F. Will report back when I either get my registration or whatever else happens next...

Yup. You should get the tag and registration separately in the mail. I think tag comes first...

That's cheap, it's been costing me closer to $220.00 to buy a frame with title, tags will be extra when I get around to it

crazypj said:
That's cheap, it's been costing me closer to $220.00 to buy a frame with title, tags will be extra when I get around to it

It's still not a title. It's a transferable registration. You still have to take it to your DMV, pay MORE taxes and title fees. Then you get the title. All said, you're better off buying a titled frame like you are.

1sttimer said:
It's still not a title. It's a transferable registration. You still have to take it to your DMV, pay MORE taxes and title fees. Then you get the title. All said, you're better off buying a titled frame like you are.

That's right. In MA I am going to have to take the registration and get an MA title, which I think is $75, and then registration on top of that...

Ah, probably going to work out about same a frame with title eventually then?

to buy a frame with title you still have to go and pay tax/title fee to put that in your name, whereas with the VT route you already technically have it in your name so you wait for the VT registration to expire, go to your local DMV, and register there. you end up only "losing" the cost of transfering the VT paperwork to your state's title. Some states you may not pay tax since you already "own" it and it's not considered a sale.

focusinprogress said:
to buy a frame with title you still have to go and pay tax/title fee to put that in your name, whereas with the VT route you already technically have it in your name so you wait for the VT registration to expire, go to your local DMV, and register there. you end up only "losing" the cost of transfering the VT paperwork to your state's title. Some states you may not pay tax since you already "own" it and it's not considered a sale.

This is true too. When I added it up last time, it was like $160 to just get the paperwork switched over not including the VT part.

example: I live in NY....

if I go buy a titled frame for argument's sake $200.....I now have a title that's been signed over to me and it's considered a sale.
I take this to the DMV and process a registration, title, and plates.
Title is $50
tax on $200 is $17.50
Plate and 1yr Registration comes to $80.

This comes to $347.50 to get a title in my name for a non-titled otherwise perfect motorcycle, and I have to swap everything over to this new frame.

If I go the VT route, and it costs $74 like just recently cited, I can run the VT plate for the first year instead of paying the $97.50 it would cost if I already owned the bike in NY. Then when that expires, I take the VT transferrable reg to the NY DMV and register it here, while transferring the paperwork to a NY title. This would then be $50 for the title and $80 for a plate and 1yr reg.

that totals $204 the VT route, and additionally wouldn't need an inspection the first year while running the VT plate, which is an additional $11 saved. I also don't have to swap every part from one frame to another.

I'm sure this doesn't add up the same in other states, but in NY it's a no-brainer unless you can get a titled frame for less than $150 and the man-hours associated with swapping everything other doesn't play a factor for you.

focusinprogress said:
example: I live in NY....

if I go buy a titled frame for argument's sake $200.....I now have a title that's been signed over to me and it's considered a sale.
I take this to the DMV and process a registration, title, and plates.
Title is $50
tax on $200 is $17.50
Plate and 1yr Registration comes to $80.

This comes to $347.50 to get a title in my name for a non-titled otherwise perfect motorcycle, and I have to swap everything over to this new frame.

If I go the VT route, and it costs $74 like just recently cited, I can run the VT plate for the first year instead of paying the $97.50 it would cost if I already owned the bike in NY. Then when that expires, I take the VT transferrable reg to the NY DMV and register it here, while transferring the paperwork to a NY title. This would then be $50 for the title and $80 for a plate and 1yr reg.

that totals $204 the VT route, and additionally wouldn't need an inspection the first year while running the VT plate, which is an additional $11 saved. I also don't have to swap every part from one frame to another.

I'm sure this doesn't add up the same in other states, but in NY it's a no-brainer unless you can get a titled frame for less than $150 and the man-hours associated with swapping everything other doesn't play a factor for you.

Good information. Thank you.

Update:

Followed the instructions and spoke to someone at the VT DMV. Asked what I needed to fill out, asked what I needed to pay, filled it out and sent a check. I got my form back a week later, letting me know I forgot to add 3% of sale price (or 4%? Can't remember). Wrote that check, mailed it off again, and got my plate and copy of my form yesterday. I am assuming that I will get my registration within a week. Piece of cake.

As an aside, I registered two CB350Fs with the RMV here in MA, and got consecutive plate #s. Sold one of the CB350Fs, but now want the plate for the new 350F I got. I called to cancel insurance yesterday, and they told me that if I did that I would need to transfer the plate that day -- but I want to ride out the VT registration for a few before I do that. So... I need to keep the insurance policy open on the bike that I sold, so I can keep the plate. It's about $30 until April, and that will give me time to get the new 350F up and running and ready, so it's all gonna work out.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Registration actually came today, with a plate tab, so looks like I'm all set. When I'm ready I will make the transfer to MA and go from there.

Registration actually came today, with a plate tab, so looks like I'm all set. When I'm ready I will make the transfer to MA and go from there.

Cool man. I think you have a year with that registration, yea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom