DR650CR????!!!??

Did you see that "chuck" start by Dime City Cycles? Don't know if it would help, but just wanted to bring it up

It is ok to kick over over, you just have to know the procedure and be committed, if you half ass it it will break your ankle. I was attracted to this bike because it was one of the early non e-start models. The kid who owned it let it go because he was not big enough to kick it over!!

Oh yeah.... if you don't get it right that thing will send you into orbit. DEUS a trendy chop shop over here had a go at a Mexican drug runner style DR650 but with out changing the frame it just looked like a fancy paint job on a stock bike(I'll see if I can find a picture). What you are doing is a lot more exciting! Don't stop.

Mock up time. There is a long way to go on the frame yet, but I couldn't resist.

DSC_0139-1.jpg

DSC_0138-1.jpg

DSC_0140-1.jpg

It is a tiny little bastard. It has a 53" wheelbase, 24 degrees of rake and 4" of trail. These are all approximations because I am just using the stock rear wheel as a front for mock up until my drz400sm wheel shows up. The current axle does not fit the wheel correctly.

Nope, no spacers yet. I have a friend who is an engineer in the bearing industry, so he is checking around to see what he can find for me. The rear is an xr500 drum with speed holes. I am going to rock that for the time being. When I have more disposable income I will get a matching rim for the rear.

What size tire is that an 18? Good luck with the bearing hunt. I needed some needle bearings for my linkage and was hoping to find some with a 17mm id and 26mm od and couldnt find any anywhere.

Nope, the rear is a 17" as well. It's just a narrow little guy at 2.5" though. The new front is actually wider. As I said I will take care of that in time. I just need to curb my spending a bit at the moment.

What's going on with your bike? Your thread has been a bit quiet.

shoot I posted on mine this week and its already mire in the depths. 2.5 that is small. what the heck is it off of? I'll get to work on mine and do some posting.

The rear is from an '88 ( I think) xr500. I like the hub because it is nice and light and there is a huge selection of sprockets that it will accept. The drum looks a little meek compared to that big disk on the front, but I hardly use the rear brake and I need the cush drive.

It had a 17 or did you lace up a 17 to it? It's got a cush drive? thats kinda strange. You dont really need a cush it does help with chain wear but its not necessary. keep it up. Oh you never did answer why you were in afgan.

I was in Trashcanastan because the Air Force told me to go..lol. I was over there patching bullet holes in H-60 helos.

The old xr500s came stock with a 17" rear. The DR actually had one too, but it was square and weighed a metric shit ton. I agree that I do not "need" the cush, but with the gigantic single, it is one of the "luxury options" that I decided to keep.

10-4 Youre in the Chair force. Hahaha I kid my little brother was in the air force too he went over there a couple of times he was a cop. Now hes a border patrol agent. I was Marine for awhile. Thanks for the service. Keep it up.

Yup, chair force all the way. My mom is an Army Major and she told me to join the Air Force..lol I had to beat up my brother in law after he got out of Marine boot camp just to put his head back into perspective..lol.

Checking in to see what you have done new! Have you finished welding up the frame? I am very interested in your build, keep the thread updated, I love the big singles. I am not sure what kind of look, stance, or style you are going for in the end, as it appears your plans have changed since your initial plan post. Are you going for a full street Cafe racer? Should be a fun bike no matter what you make!

Cheers

P.S., just be carefull what mirrors you use! :D

Mirrors are for girls. :eek: lol. I am used to riding old British crap, where due to vibration the mirrors were useless anyway. I'll throw something on there but it will be an afterthought.

I have made a bit of progress since my last post and will update later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom