DR650CR????!!!??

This bike is bad ass, love that you went with wires....... Cant wait to see it finished, should be a blast to ride!!!!!!!! Cafe Freak

Thanks man. I am really excited about it.

I want to get the frame and swinger done so I can get started on the tank.

Great project alpinaclone !!!!
Once I thought someting like this.
A very radical transformation, I´m looking forward to see your bike finished.

I stuck a tube between the shockies and started screwing around with some steel, attempting to get it to turn into a gas tank. I didn't have much time but I roughed out a base and bent a piece of rod to the approx. contour of the top of the tank. The bent rod is kinda hard to see in the pics, but let me know what you cats and kittens think about the general shape. I am thinking it needs to be a tad lower and about an inch longer.

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

The slope at the seat end of the tank seems to be at the reverse angle from normal, and while you may be doing that on purpose to be different, I recommend moving the slope back to the more conventional angle as that angle will be more comfortable for a crouched riding position which will lead to better control and more time spent in the seat! I also feel it would look better too. The rest of the tank has a very natural shape that seems to flow with the frame well, also seeing the outline of the top axis will help visualize your final shape. How do you plan on building your tank? Material, methods, tools used?

The bit at the back is on purpose, but it is actually meant to be more exaggerated. It is comfortable to sit on and the back part does not interfere with my junk too much. I am going to redo the shape though, the more I look at it the more I want to change it.

I will be building it out of 22ga steel. I am using some hammers, some dollies, a sandbag and a teardrop mallet. I will be making poster board templates of the rough tank sections and beating them until I am satisfied.The tank we be built of 5 sections and welded together. It will probably not be smooth enough for paint because I don't want to bother with the English wheel. I am going to explore some different methods of passivation and see which finish I like the best. The front fender will be bare aluminum (RocCity) and the tail will be bare aluminum as well (me).

The backbone(s) look pretty parallel to the ground to me, what is it that you're seeing Brandon?

I think he was referring to the back of the proposed tank and the angle at which the rear of the tank comes down to meet the backbone(s).

I have already changed the profile and have started cutting metal. If I can get the monsters to bed at a reasonable time I will put an hour or two in tonight. I'll throw some pics on here when there is more to see.

It is starting to look like something.....a balloon full of marbles...lol.

I have the top rough formed and am pretty happy with it so far.It is still very rough and there is a lot of finish work still needed on this piece, then I can move onto the sides.

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

The top will have a bit less crown when all is said and done, but that is close to the profile of the thing.

I fire glued some more bits to the slightly gas tank shaped edifice. I am about 10hrs into it now and no where close to done. There is still a lot of shaping and smoothing to be done, but I am fairly pleased with the progress.

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

Hi Alpinaclone.
What happened with this project?
I was looking forward to see the progress of your project...
It´s a pity if it doesn´t continue...
Bye

Wow, yes it as been a long time.

I still have it minus the wheels, but it has been put on the back burner. I kind of got bunt out on it and I started robbing parts from it for other projects, so now it's sits, waiting for inspiration I guess. I thought about selling it, but I would guess that the market for such a thing would be pretty limited.

Thanks for the interest though and I will start a thread on my newest addiction when it gets closer to completion.

Thanks alpinaclone.
Maybe it´s one of the most interesting projects of this forum.
I think the way you change the frame is very different from the rest... trail to cafe...
Please post some pics of the process of your new tank and the rest of the bike...
Good work...
Bye

Back
Top Bottom