SR 250 Mono Build

2Planks

Had this in the Bobber section, but going more tracker style now. First Build and am beyond stoked to find this site!!!
Picked up this Jammer non running for $175 on craigslist in Denver! Guy was selling it for a friend that had moved. So he knew nothing about it.

Attachments

• ORG_DSC01915.JPEG
    ORG_DSC01915.JPEG
    138.1 KB · Views: 536
Speeding up I cleaned the carb checked the top end out and got it fired up and rode it. Didn't bother tuning just wanted to make sure it ran before I started chopping. I've got it down to the frame after a few weeks with no time to work on it got it ready to fab up the new sub frame.

Attachments

• IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 344
Nice, welcome to the madness. You cant go wrong with a $175 sr250. Glad to have you here and looking forward to seeing your progress.

also, little tip, when you go to weld your subframe and other bits up to the frame, id recommend bolting the engine back in as it is a stressed member, aka a structural part of the bike. It will help keep things from pulling and warping during welding.

So as I am a poor 27 year old. I have ordered seat loop and rear shock from China. Will take a bit to get here, while I wait I am learning to Tig weld. Plan on Mig welding the sub frame but was inspired by Jadus on here who relocated his battery and solenoid. Making mine a tray but my Tig skills are not there haha.

I bought a 4 cell lithium battery, am a little worried its not going to have the power to start the bike once the headlight and tail light are hooked up. As my little SR doesn't have a kicker. Any one on here run a small battery on a bike with out a Kicker?

Attachments

• IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 337
Too bad you've already ordered the frame hoop. I've used hoops from Old Man Motors (US based). Prices are good and delivery is within days.

https://www.oldmanmotors.com/category/cafe-racer-hoops

I run a ballistic 4 cell on my SR250. No issues with cranking it over when everything is working right.

Brodie said:
I run a ballistic 4 cell on my SR250. No issues with cranking it over when everything is working right.

thanks Brodie for the assurance would like to add a kicker just expensive !!

Re: SR 250 Mono Build

Yep. I know the feeling. They do bump start well though. Just make sure the carb is in good tune and you should be right with a 4 cell.

Anyone know where I can find the riser dampener? Looking for the rubber insert with the metal sleeve the riser bolt goes thru?

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,211
2Planks said:
Anyone know where I can find the riser dampener? Looking for the rubber insert with the metal sleeve the riser bolt goes thru?

usually a local Yamaha dealership. Looks like your in Denver, so I just searched the parts fiche at that vickery which appears to be a Yamaha dealer in Denver. Unfortunately it appears that they do not sell just the dampers separate from the top triple, which leads me to believe that they may be cast into the triple and non replaceable. I am not sure of this though, as I have never boogered with a sr250 before.

http://shop.vickerymotorsports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1140537&category=Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=1981&fveh=30686

I thought it was Jadus on here that had some posts on removing the bottom bolt from the fork. I believe its just spinning took all my brain power engineering tools to get the caps off. Was It Cosworth that had a post on fork rebuilds? any help thanks guys.

After I've pulled the spring out and drained them through the top cap, I take a broom stuck cut down a few inches above the top of the fork tube, taper the end of it, then hammer it into the the hole in the damper rod. There are other ways to do it, but that's what has always worked for me. You just need something to hold the damper rod, which is what the screw at the bottom of the fork is holding.

I just use my air impact and a hex bit BEFORE taking the rest apart (drain it of course). The spring holds it enough to prevent spinning.

Got the forks apart last night. Use a bolt extractor bit to hold the dampener rod in place. Will find some thing to fit the top of it for the re install. These shocks are in rough shape haha. Also started to prep my frame for welding. I think I check the tracking info every ten min.

Debating on putting a spacer or not any thoughts on putting it on top or bottom?

Also finger is healed from the cut off wheel. Don't take the guard off its there for a reason.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2121.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 312
Made some progress on the bike yesterday! Got the top shock mount pieces cut out. As well as a brace, built the seat as well. Other than than my welds needing some practice i'm happy with the ways its coming along. Still need to decide where I want my seat to come back, am thinking of keeping it parallel with the bottom of the tank( a little high in the pic). Still need to make some more braces. Also make the tank mounts.

Questions,

Should I brace the swing arm? I think it will be fine.

Not a frame question but I started to de-lace the rims. Spokes will need to be replaced. Anyone know where I can get some spokes?? Also debating on bumping up the rear rim to an 18"? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_2171.jpg
    IMG_2171.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg